Author Topic: How long do liiturgies last?  (Read 341 times)

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
How long do liiturgies last?
« on: March 28, 2015, 12:42:48 PM »
Are all divine liturgies about two hours? Does the time differ by church (Romanian vs. Greek vs. Antiochian)?

Do they differ for holidays?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:43:18 PM by Anastasia1 »
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
Re: How long do liiturgies last?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 12:53:23 PM »
The shortest I've been to lasted about 00:50, the longest - 3:30 (coincidentally they were served at the same place). Usually 1:20-1:50.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »
Are all divine liturgies about two hours? Does the time differ by church (Romanian vs. Greek vs. Antiochian)?

The Sunday liturgies tend to be longer during Lent. During Lent we celebrate the Liturgy of St. Basil on Sunday, while we celebrate the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom on Sundays outside of Lent. The prayers of consecration are significantly longer in the Liturgy of St. Basil.

Another factor that often has a significant impact on the length of the Liturgy: whether the priest preaches a homily or not. The homily itself can make a Divine Liturgy anywhere from 10-30 minutes longer.

As for feast days, my experience is that the Vesperal Liturgy the eve of the feast (officially prescribed only for the eves of Christmas, Theophany, and Pascha, and for the evening at the end of the Feast of the Annunciation) is often VERY long with as many as 8-15 Old Testament readings (8 for Christmas, 12 for Theophany, and 15 for Holy Saturday). The Liturgy of the Eucharist for a Vesperal Liturgy is also according to the Liturgy of St. Basil, which only makes it that much longer. For the day of the feast itself, however, the Liturgy can be very short. The hymns tend to be joyously quick, there aren't that many of them (especially the Troparia/Apolytikia and Kontakia), the prayers are those of St. John Chrysostom, and--at least in my parish--the priest doesn't preach a homily if the feast is on a workday.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:11:58 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 01:01:55 PM »
The average time for our Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom is 1 hour and 20 minutes.  I have heard that Liturgies in Russia can last about 3 hours.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »
The shortest I've been to lasted about 00:50, the longest - 3:30 (coincidentally they were served at the same place). Usually 1:20-1:50.

I'd agree with mike here on that.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 03:48:54 PM »
In my parish, the liturgy averages an hour and a half. During Lent, it can run a little longer.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 03:52:43 PM »
1.5 - 2 hours. In Greece they're a bit longer, but only because of greater chant embellishment.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • High Elder
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: I presently commune at a Coptic parish
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 10:36:56 PM »
I once attended a Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom that lasted a mere half hour, which was at a GoArch parish.  I don't know how they did it; it was in Greek except for a 2 minute homily. 

However, in my experience 90 minutes is normal excluding Orthros in a Byzantine parish.  The Syriac liturgy will take 90 minutes, plus one hour for morning prayers.  Due to the slow procedures for distributing the Eucharist, if you arrive for morning prayer you can spend four hours in a Coptic church, although it doesn't feel that long.  From what I understand in Ethiopia services can be of extraordinary length.
I am Oriental Orthodox but love the Eastern Orthodox, and the Byzantine liturgy.  I also love the Western liturgy.  I hope for the reconciliation of our churches.

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. No statements I make should be regarded as authoritative, regardless of tone. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 10:42:22 PM »
I once attended a Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom that lasted a mere half hour, which was at a GoArch parish.  I don't know how they did it; it was in Greek except for a 2 minute homily. 

Did they talk really fast?

I wonder how long a liturgy would last down in some Latin American countries where speaking quickly is the norm. Although, I suspect that it's not delivered in the same style as normal conversational speech.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 10:58:50 PM »

I doubt that.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:00:07 PM by biro »
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 11:30:47 PM »

I doubt that.

I have to agree that I doubt that as well.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:31:28 PM by IXOYE »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 01:28:31 PM »

I doubt that.

I have to agree that I doubt that as well.

I don't.  I attended a few when I was in college. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Bob2

• Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 09:20:57 AM »

Lots of factors that can influence that. I would say we usually run a little more than 2 hours.

*If the readings are done in more than one language

*Sundays of Great Lent can be a little longer too because: the Liturgy of St Basil is a little longer in some of the priest's prayers, communion of the clergy takes longer because of preparations for the Presanctifieds coming up later in the week

*Number communicants

*musical arrangements selected by the choir (this can make a huge difference)

*length of homily, ours is usually 6-7 minutes   

However, it is a little less than 1.5 hours when we do all English on the occasional Saturday due to: fewer communicants, simpler choir arrangements, and the readings not repeated.

Another question is does it actually start on time, because if it starts late then it seems like it is even longer. Russians also tend to love to do Molebens right after the dismissal, before the kissing of the cross, so additional services routinely done after, but attached to the liturgy can make it longer as well.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 10:35:49 AM »
My record was about 45 min, and it was an early Wednesday morning Liturgy. As other have mentioned, 1.5 is pretty normal, but they are definitely a few minutes longer during Lent.
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »
In general, I concur with 1.5

(everything based off of my experience)
Serbs, current ACROD are about there
ROCOR was typically longer, averages 2 hour normally, but that includes the hours before liturgy but i would guess 1.5+, especially with reading all the Gospel readings for the day
ACROD back home was 1h20 minutes

Greek/antiochians I feel are shorter than 1.5, but i cannot say for sure.

Offline Bob2

• Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 11:00:21 AM »
My record was about 45 min, and it was an early Wednesday morning Liturgy. As other have mentioned, 1.5 is pretty normal, but they are definitely a few minutes longer during Lent.

I imagine this involves some pretty significant abbreviations of the antiphons, even if the choir is singing really fast.

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • High Elder
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: I presently commune at a Coptic parish
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 03:09:39 AM »
In the 30 minute liturgy I attended, there was just one cantor and the Antiphons passed swiftly; there were two concelebrating priests and one altar boy, I think, and about seven laity.
I am Oriental Orthodox but love the Eastern Orthodox, and the Byzantine liturgy.  I also love the Western liturgy.  I hope for the reconciliation of our churches.

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. No statements I make should be regarded as authoritative, regardless of tone. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 08:47:20 AM »

I imagine this involves some pretty significant abbreviations of the antiphons, even if the choir is singing really fast.

Im not sure as I was pretty new at the time. My parish has a Liturgy that starts at 6:45 on Wednesday mornings to provide another option for people whos schedules prevent them from coming on the weekend.  Its a very small crowd with one priest, usually one alter server, one chanter, and a small handful of laity. (usually less than 5)

A lot of things that are usually sung and embellished on Sundays are simply chanted through which makes it go faster. I really love the service since its still dark when it starts, and its light by the time the Eucharist is served. Its "easier" in the sense that its a little shorter and its very VERY peaceful because of the small number of people.

It still usually lasts about an hour to an hour and 15 min.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:49:04 AM by Timon »
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG