Author Topic: Holy Week a Half Day Off?  (Read 290 times)

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
Holy Week a Half Day Off?
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:52:41 AM »
I heard somewhere on a podcast that the Holy Week services are basically a half a day early, hence why the passion gospels are on Thursday rather than Friday, Pascha is in the middle of the night instead of Sunday morning, etc.

Does anyone know the history of how this came to be if it is true? How did all of the Byzantine tradition come to celebrate everything slightly ahead of read time?

Online Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
Re: Holy Week a Half Day Off?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:03:08 AM »
It's not just the Byzantine tradition, either. The Coptic parish near where I live has its Easter liturgy from 7PM to midnight on Saturday (and I'm planning to go, if it works out with my schedule, which hopefully it will).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:03:19 AM by Minnesotan »

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »
I heard somewhere on a podcast that the Holy Week services are basically a half a day early, hence why the passion gospels are on Thursday rather than Friday, Pascha is in the middle of the night instead of Sunday morning, etc.

Does anyone know the history of how this came to be if it is true? How did all of the Byzantine tradition come to celebrate everything slightly ahead of read time?

Depends on how you interpret historical events.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »

Please go away.

Offline homedad76

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 10:33:41 AM »
I always assumed it had to do with starting the day at "dawn" the night before.  I've never heard the "half day early" thing before.
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:43:13 AM »

Please go away.

Go away from where? ...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:44:45 AM by WPM »

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
I was told that they are morning services, but they do them in the evening, perhaps to help all who are working or having classes.

Offline Regnare

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 03:44:28 PM »
The Passion Gospels just have to be at night, really. How else are you going to commemorate an event where the sun went dark for three hours? (Although, when you think about it, all Matins services assume that the sun will be coming up around the Great Doxology, so darkness works better generally.)

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 04:10:26 PM »
I read somewhere that this has something to do with Byzantine and Hebrew time, where the day begins with the evening. So what we consider Monday night is actually the start of Tuesday. That's why the vespers service is the beginning of the feast that continues next morning with matins and liturgy. On the other hand, this way of reckoning time doesn't seem to apply to fasts, e.g. the Friday fast doesn't start Thursday night and end Friday night.
"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
  • and dilatory dilettante
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 05:07:20 PM »
In my dreams, Matins (Othros) coincides with actual, observable dawn.
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline Bob2

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 08:56:04 AM »

I've always wanted to see the sun breaking the horizon right as we hear, "Glory to Thee who has shown the light!"

Offline Dominika

• Serbian/Polish
  • OC.net guru
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »

Actually, in most EO parishes most of the Holy Week services are not done in the proper time, what really bothers me (I wrote an article about it for the biggest Polish Orthodox website and I still getting into more and mroe details about Holy Week services in general). In the Triodon, as well in Typikon, you have clearly written when they should be celebrated. I also recommend this article: http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith8123
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »

I've always wanted to see the sun breaking the horizon right as we hear, "Glory to Thee who has shown the light!"

In monasteries i have been to, the time when light starts entering the church is during the chanting of the ainoi, around the phrase," Praise Him O sun and moon..."
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Māran etraḥam 'lay!
  • Faith: Orthodox inquirer
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 11:25:58 PM »

I'm not sure when this happened, but something similar occurred in the Latin Rite as well. Matins and Lauds of Holy Thursday and Good Friday were said the preceding evening in a darkened church, giving the name Tenebrae (Latin for "darkness") to these services. The Easter Vigil was celebrated in the morning (!) of Holy Saturday by the 12th century, where it remained until the 1950s.

Then there's also the practice, common to many different Rites, of Vespers being said early in the day on fasting days, probably an aberration having its origin in making fasting easier. This seems to have happened for many of the hours; the name for the Ninth Hour in Latin, Nona, is the origin of the English word noon, indicating that Ninth Hour had been widely anticipated at midday for many, many centuries.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 12:21:53 PM »
As was explained to me over the years and as I heard repeated on Great Friday this year in church, Holy Week is first a week of great anticipation, hence the schedule and timing of the great services are in anticipation. Also, humanity's betrayal of Christ and His Crucifixion rendered time and the heavens were in great turmoil  and Christ our God descended into Hades and normality as we know it was not restored until the Resurrection.

The article in the Greek Archdiocesan website details the Byzantine practice, not the Slavic so again, there are variations as to when and what services are typically observed depending on the national church of origin within Eastern Orthodoxy. similar, but not identical.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:23:47 PM by podkarpatska »