Author Topic: Jordanville Prayer Book Morning and Evening prayers  (Read 211 times)

Offline NoahB

• The Just Noah
  • Current Anglican-- Future Orthodox
  • Faith: Anglo-Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Province of America
Jordanville Prayer Book Morning and Evening prayers
« on: May 24, 2015, 08:49:05 AM »
I've been praying every prayer in the Prayers after waking and the Prayers before going to bed. Is this how it's supposed to be done? Or are you supposed to select only a few prayers to say?
"God became man, so that men might become gods." -- St. Athanasius

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • OC.net guru
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Jordanville Prayer Book Morning and Evening prayers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 09:10:11 AM »
I think it commendable to pray all the prayers but not neccessary if you are pressed for time.  But since you are able to pull it off, I would stick to it if the burden is not bothersome.  However, ultimately, this is something to work out with your priest; do you have one yet?  Are you formally a catechumen?  If so, you should establish your prayer rule with him.  In the interim, until you have a priest (assuming you don't), if you find comfort in praying the entire set of prayers I would do that.

Once you're baptized or chrismated, I would say it's commendable if you do the full preparatory prayers for the Eucharist contained in the Jordanville Book, with the Akathists et cetera, which is something many people, myself included, usually do not do (I wish I did however, but of late as Ive been recovering from this illness I generally only know if I can make it into Church on Sunday morning).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:14:47 AM by wgw »

Offline ergro

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Jerusalem
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »
In the Jordanville Horologion, those prayers are said during the Midnight Service and Compline, and at least at Compline under the title of "prayers before sleep".

So, in the strict sense of the word, yes, that is when those prayers should optimally be recited. However, prayer books are not Horologions, designed with specific times in mind. Morning prayers should simply be recited in the Morning, and Evening prayers in the Evening.

If you're still feeling a little confused, talk to your elder about a prayer rule. You should do so anyways.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:54:43 AM »
I've been praying every prayer in the Prayers after waking and the Prayers before going to bed. Is this how it's supposed to be done? Or are you supposed to select only a few prayers to say?

My understanding is that you're supposed to say them all- it takes about 20-30 minutes in my experience. However your personal practice may vary based on your circumstances and the advice of your priest.

I would also add that the Jordanville Prayer Book represents one Orthodox prayer tradition which emerged in the Russian church. IMO it's a pretty heavy rule to start with. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:12:39 PM by Iconodule »

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • OC.net guru
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
A very user friendly Prayerbook for beginners is Praying with the Orthodox Tradition, which has prayers for different times of day and a nice Foreword by Kallistos Ware.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:09:12 PM by wgw »

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Bulgaria
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »

My understanding is that you're supposed to say them all. However your personal practice may vary based n your circumstances and the advice of your priest.

Saying them all might be the ideal but I don't think many laymen are able to keep a habit like that on an everyday level. I assume most priests would be happy if their parishioners prayed at least something regularly. That something might vary from numerous long prayers to just a few short ones.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:12:39 PM by Alpo »

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:13:39 PM »

My understanding is that you're supposed to say them all. However your personal practice may vary based n your circumstances and the advice of your priest.

Saying them all might be the ideal but I don't think many laymen are able to keep a habit like that on an everyday level. I assume most priests would be happy if their parishioners prayed at least something regularly. That something might vary from numerous long prayers to just a few short ones.

Yeah, my understanding is that the heavy rule of the Jordanville book springs from a fairly recent attempt in the Russian church to get the laity to pray more like monastics.

Offline NoahB

• The Just Noah
  • Current Anglican-- Future Orthodox
  • Faith: Anglo-Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Province of America
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »
I think I am being called to a monastic role, so I'm fine with the heavy prayer load. I'm using it also to see if this is truly what God is calling me towards (I know, Hyperdox Herman, not even Chrismated and thinking about monasticism)
"God became man, so that men might become gods." -- St. Athanasius

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 04:06:48 PM »
My baptismal priest(ROCOR) said to start with one of the numbered prayers(I-X), instead of all ten.

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 05:09:12 PM »
I think I am being called to a monastic role, so I'm fine with the heavy prayer load. I'm using it also to see if this is truly what God is calling me towards ...

My spiritual father has encouraged all of us to read all of the ten prayers in the Morning and Evening Prayers from the Jordanville Prayer Book. Although these prayers may seem repetitious, each prayer is worded differently by different saints, and they are addressed to different persons: Christ, the Holy Spirit, the Most Holy Theotokos, our Guardian Angels, etc.. Besides, the continual spirit of repentance helps us to amend our lives.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας