Author Topic: Repetition of the Prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian  (Read 81 times)

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
I have noticed that in some prayerbooks, that after the Prayer of St. Ephraim is said in its entirety, then followed by the 12 bows with "God be gracious to me, a sinner," the prayer is to be repeated again in its entirety followed by a prostration OR the last petition of the prayer is to be said followed by a prostration.  I'm really not interested in which is the "more correct" version, but I am curious if this is just a difference in jurisdictions, within jurisdictions, etc.  I've noticed some Greek prayerbooks will only call for the last petition to be said while others will call for the entirety of the prayer to be repeated.  I can't speak about Russian or other Slavic traditions. Just curious is all.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
Re: Repetition of the Prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:52:05 AM »
What I have experienced in OCA/DOS:

(When done once)

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk. (Prostration)

But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant. (Prostration)

Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages. Amen. (Prostration)

(When done twice)

Above, plus

12 bows with "God, cleanse me.."

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk. But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant. Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages. Amen. (Prostration)

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:31:48 AM »
The Erie Old Rite prayerbook I use has:

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk. (Prostration)

But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant. (Prostration)

Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages. Amen. (Prostration)

Then the following 12 prayers, each followed by a bow at the waist:

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.
God be merciful to me, a sinner.
God, cleanse me of my sins and have mercy on me.
Thou has created me; Lord, have mercy on me.
I have sinned immeasurably; Lord, forgive me.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.
God, cleanse me of my sins and have mercy on me.

Then the full prayer with one final prostration:

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk. But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant. Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages. Amen. (Prostration)
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:51:38 AM »
the Prayer of St. Ephraim is said in its entirety with a prostration after each part, then followed by the 12 bows with "God be gracious to me, a sinner," the prayer is to be repeated again in its entirety followed by a prostration

this

Offline Bob2

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:23:56 PM »
My experience is that both the long form with 3 prostrations followed by 12 bows and repeated in its entirety with another prostration, and the short form with 3 prostration are both correct and are appointed for different points in the services.  Both the short form and long form are used in the Liturgy of the Presanctified gifts.