Author Topic: Mary Help of Christians  (Read 91 times)

Offline Caelestinus

Mary Help of Christians
« on: September 21, 2016, 02:23:16 PM »
In the following wikipedia article I read:
Although it is commonly associated with the Roman Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church has also known the devotion since 1030 in Ukraine, when the country was defended from a barbarian invasion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Help_of_Christians

This raises questions, i.e.:

To which event does this exactly refer to and on which day it is celebrated? What is its offical liturgical name, and does anyone have the propers of this feast? Is it indeed celebrated by Ukrainian Orthodox or rather by Byzantine Rite Roman Catholics?

Is this an Uniate image? What text does it contain?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:23:47 PM by Caelestinus »

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Re: Mary Help of Christians
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 02:39:07 PM »
Intercession of the Theotokos is celebrated in the Orthodox Church on October 1. The Greek Church moved it to October 28 though. It is celebrated universally in the Orthodox Church however in the Eastern slavic countries it's considered one of the biggest feasts after Easter and 12 major feasts while in Greece it's of lesser importance. I cannot really speak for Balkan countries or Arabs.

The origin of this feast is the apparition of Theotokos in Constantinople while it was being seiged. It's only not clear what siege was that exactly. The most common date believed is 910.

And that icons indeed looks like it was painted in the Eastern Catholic circle. I cannot decipher it since the letters are to small.

Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"

Offline Caelestinus

Re: Mary Help of Christians
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 05:30:00 PM »
Intercession of the Theotokos is celebrated in the Orthodox Church on October 1. The Greek Church moved it to October 28 though. It is celebrated universally in the Orthodox Church however in the Eastern slavic countries it's considered one of the biggest feasts after Easter and 12 major feasts while in Greece it's of lesser importance. I cannot really speak for Balkan countries or Arabs.

The origin of this feast is the apparition of Theotokos in Constantinople while it was being seiged. It's only not clear what siege was that exactly. The most common date believed is 910.

And that icons indeed looks like it was painted in the Eastern Catholic circle. I cannot decipher it since the letters are to small.

The icon type reminds me more of Auxilium Christianorum (the Roman-catholic counterpart of the Feast of the Protection and Intercession of the Theotokos), especially regarding the spread mantle.