Author Topic: Lectionary of the Western Rite  (Read 87 times)

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Lectionary of the Western Rite
« on: Yesterday at 03:20:41 PM »
Do Western Rite Churches use the Byzantine lectionary, or do they use an older Latin lectionary? I'm curious if Western Rite Churches hear the same readings as we do.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline JTLoganville

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Re: Lectionary of the Western Rite
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:47:56 PM »
Do Western Rite Churches use the Byzantine lectionary, or do they use an older Latin lectionary? I'm curious if Western Rite Churches hear the same readings as we do.

They use the Lectionary of the Tridentine Mass; closely paralleled by the 1958 Lutheran Service Book and Hymnal.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Lectionary of the Western Rite
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:08:27 PM »

They use the Lectionary of the Tridentine Mass; closely paralleled by the 1958 Lutheran Service Book and Hymnal.

I am surprised you have a copy of that particular Lutheran hymnal.  But I would think its lectionary is no closer to the Roman lectionary than that of the more popular Lutheran Hymnal of 1941, or the 1928 Anglican Book of Common Prayer, for that matter.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.