OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 11:09:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Question of Language  (Read 2791 times) Average Rating: 0
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« on: November 25, 2003, 10:41:03 PM »

I was involved in this discussion on another board and seeing as how this forum is made up mostly of those of the GREEK and SYRIAN traditions, I figure this would be an interesting question to pose here.  I have heard it declared that the NT was not actually in Greek originally, but was translated into Greek from Aramaic.  I do not agree, but it was an interesting discussion none the less Smiley

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 10:42:26 PM »

whoo hoo! 100% agree with me! Oh wait  . . . . 100% IS me!! Grin

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 01:40:07 AM »

I've always heard that the entire NT was written originally in Greek, although the Gospel of Saint Matthew might be the exception.  Saint Thomas the Apostle is supposed to have brought a copy of this Gospel in Hebrew to India with him.  Whether it (Matthew) was actually in Hebrew or Aramaic, I'm not sure.  I've heard both.  But the one Thomas brought to India was, according to my sources, written in Hebrew.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 10:00:22 AM »

I've always heard that the entire NT was written originally in Greek, although the Gospel of Saint Matthew might be the exception.  

I have heard the same thing.  What about the Epistle to the Hebrews?

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 10:08:12 AM »

Hebrews...now that's an interesting thought: an epistle to the Hebrews written in Greek!  It's possible, though I've only heard about Matthew being in a non-Greek language.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 04:13:41 PM »

The original language of Matthew is almost assuredly not greek, and I have thought about Hebrews myself, but if I am not mistaken, Hebrews was written to Diaspora Jews, not palestinians.  I'm going to have to go back now and check.  Thanks! As if I don't have enough to do!! Grin this is going to nag and nag and nag . . .

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 04:23:08 PM »

okay a quick web chack shows that Hebrews was written to Jewish Christians abroad and as such was written in Greek.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 06:39:47 PM »

so none of the syrians hold to the Aramaic original language theory?

Saint Polycarp

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 11:14:13 PM »

Most of the NT was written in Greek. But the Gospels would have been a translation of the language Jesus and the apostles spoke while ministering to the Jews which was probably aramaic.
So no matter how you slice it Jesus' words were being translated from one language and culture into another culture's language.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 11:15:52 PM by Saint Polycarp » Logged

Peace
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 12:20:33 AM »

poly: true.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2003, 12:39:53 AM »

Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History (Book 3, Chapter 24), says of St. Matthew's Gospel that the saint "committed it to writing in his native tongue."

Of course, St. Matthew's "native tongue" was probably Aramaic, although Eusebius apparently thought it was Hebrew:

"Matthew also having first proclaimed the gospel in Hebrew . . . " (ibid).

So, did St. Matthew write his gospel in Aramaic or Hebrew?

Your guess is as good as mine.

I messed up my vote, BTW. I should have hit "Mostly Greek," but hit "Other" instead.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 12:40:28 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2003, 12:57:07 AM »

linus: An honest mistake I guess with them right NEXT to each other on the list.  ?

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2003, 01:05:47 AM »

linus: An honest mistake I guess with them right NEXT to each other on the list.  ?

I worked all day today cutting wood for my woodstove. My hand is a little shakey (as are my legs and back - ouch!).  Wink

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2003, 01:13:27 AM »

My dear Br. Max, OFC
I am most distressed to have to inform you that "Picksburghese" is also the local idiom up here in Punxsutawney.
See yinz'

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2003, 01:17:22 AM »

http://www.pittsburghese.com/Q3.wav

http://www.pittsburghese.com/

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: