OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 07:40:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parenting fail  (Read 1946 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: August 20, 2009, 03:21:33 PM »

http://failblog.org/2009/08/20/parenting-fail-14/

"Salmonella isn't so bad for babies is it?"  thread modified by username! other topics section moderator by adding this sentence from Quinault to conform to oc.net regulations.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:43:11 AM by username! » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:38:43 PM »

Ew, yikes.  There was a story not long ago of a little girl who was crushed to death by the family python.  I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been for her, and her family.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:36:38 AM »

"Rabbit... baby...  What's the difference?" (so says the snake) Roll Eyes
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 06:10:32 AM »

Another horrifying consequence of the elevation of animals and the devaluing of human beings. We are continually being inundated with the satanic message that people are the enemy of the planet. Many environmentalists will say unequivocally that the fewer people the better. And while it is undeniable that mankind fails to cherish and preserve the earth that God has entrusted to him, we must never lose sight of the fact that the earth exists for humanity. But satan confuses the minds of many, and pets and creatures are elevated to a status higher than people themselves. As Christians, we have to reaffirm the divine hierarchy of creation.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam 

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:37:18 AM »

I think it's more that people just don't understand that pets are still wild animals at heart.  Even the friendliest pet dog can turn into a vicious beast if a baby messes with his food bowl.  Parents think their pets couldn't possibly hurt anyone, but animals aren't as good at reading intent as we'd like to think they are.  When my daughter starts pulling on the cat's tail, he just sees someone attacking him and not a baby who doesn't know better.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »

I think it's more that people just don't understand that pets are still wild animals at heart.  Even the friendliest pet dog can turn into a vicious beast if a baby messes with his food bowl.  Parents think their pets couldn't possibly hurt anyone, but animals aren't as good at reading intent as we'd like to think they are.  When my daughter starts pulling on the cat's tail, he just sees someone attacking him and not a baby who doesn't know better.

I agree. I read a headline about a family dog dragging a newborn who was a premie out of the house and into the yard. The poor baby was injured severely.  Cry These stories really upset me and break my heart.
I know people love their pets but I wish they would put the safety of their babies first. I just don't understand.

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:17:55 PM »

One could just as easily recount many anecdotes about animals caring for, protecting and even literally saving the life of babies and children.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 02:22:06 PM »

I agree. I read a headline about a family dog dragging a newborn who was a premie out of the house and into the yard. The poor baby was injured severely.  Cry These stories really upset me and break my heart.
I know people love their pets but I wish they would put the safety of their babies first. I just don't understand.

Yeah, that just about broke my heart too, reading that article.  It wasn't like the baby was neglected, either; the mom put him in his crib long enough to answer the phone and the dog pulled him out and ran outside.  So many people just don't realize that pets see a baby as a noisy, smelly intruder on their territory (or in the case of the giant snake, an easy meal).  I don't think that means anyone should get rid of their pets, but at least take some time to get them used to the idea of a baby and by all means keep pets separated from the baby when you're not around to supervise directly. 

When we brought Caitlin home from the hospital, we made it a rule that our two cats were not ever allowed to sleep in her room, even with us there to watch them.  Once she was older, we lightened up to no cats in the crib, ever, not even when she's not in the crib with them.  The cats now know they're not allowed in the crib when she's in there and they either hightail it out of the room or get thrown out.  Even still, when they're in a wild mood they go outside immediately.  Cats are really unpredictable when they start fighting and if Cait tried to break them up herself I'm afraid they'll turn on her.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »

One could just as easily recount many anecdotes about animals caring for, protecting and even literally saving the life of babies and children.

I have those stories too, though it's more common to see dog and cat bites on kids who were just playing with pets.  To me, I'd rather not take the chance... in my years of working in a hospital, I've seen bites from family pets that resulted in extensive repairs in plastic surgery, not to mention the emotional trauma on the child.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 04:31:21 AM »

the family python.

The concept of a "family python" is so alien to me it might as well come from a planet orbiting the furthest star in the constellation "Idiot".

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 11:24:34 AM »

the family python.

The concept of a "family python" is so alien to me it might as well come from a planet orbiting the furthest star in the constellation "Idiot".

Here in America, we also have family lion, family tiger, family chimp... Wink
Personally, I can't wait to get my own family giraffe. That'll be so bomb! Cheesy

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 05:32:09 PM »

the family python.

But don't most state/local governments require you to have a permit to own a dangerous exotic animal?
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 11:44:51 PM »

the family python.

But don't most state/local governments require you to have a permit to own a dangerous exotic animal?

Most do, but it's common to hear of people having several of these large animals illegally.  They're cute when they're small, but then what do you do with the 450 lb tiger in the backyard?

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 11:45:30 PM »

the family python.

Ugh, me too.  I don't understand the attraction to snakes as pets.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 06:14:57 AM »

History I've heard. I don't know wether it is true:

One woman bought a python. She called him Pytuś (Phytten in English, or something like that Tongue) allowed it to sleep with her in her bed. After a few weeks the snaked stopped eating and started to straining itself while lying in the bed with her. She took the snake to a vet to check wether it is ill. She was told there that Pytuś had stopped eating in order to make enough space for her and it is straining itself in order to check whether she would fit.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 11:17:38 AM »

History I've heard. I don't know wether it is true:

One woman bought a python. She called him Pytuś (Phytten in English, or something like that Tongue) allowed it to sleep with her in her bed. After a few weeks the snaked stopped eating and started to straining itself while lying in the bed with her. She took the snake to a vet to check wether it is ill. She was told there that Pytuś had stopped eating in order to make enough space for her and it is straining itself in order to check whether she would fit.

laugh Humans need to learn that, just because you take it home, it doesn't suddenly mean the animal is tame. Wink I'm gonna remember that story for a long while. Cheesy

Peter, there are very restrictive laws concerning exotic animals here in Illi, but E is right about owning it illegally. Also, some states don't seem to have any restrictions on tigers, lions, that sort of thing, such as Alabama. http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_summary.php

Personally, I'd be fine with getting a small hand-sized snake, such as some species of garter snakes. The appeal of snakes to some people is the same as the appeal of household cats. (shrugs) Smiley

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 02:06:56 PM »

I'm gonna remember that story for a long while. Cheesy

Don't, it isn't true.  http://www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/measured.asp

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 03:38:39 PM »

Another horrifying consequence of the elevation of animals and the devaluing of human beings. We are continually being inundated with the satanic message that people are the enemy of the planet. Many environmentalists will say unequivocally that the fewer people the better. And while it is undeniable that mankind fails to cherish and preserve the earth that God has entrusted to him, we must never lose sight of the fact that the earth exists for humanity. But satan confuses the minds of many, and pets and creatures are elevated to a status higher than people themselves. As Christians, we have to reaffirm the divine hierarchy of creation.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam 

There is nothing satanic about environmentalism. The idea is preposterous.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 05:56:29 PM »

I'm with you, Ukie! The earth was created for human beings, but we are still called to be responsible with it. That is the whole essence of what it means to be a caretaker. There is nothing wrong with utilizing and advocating self-control where the creation of more people is concerned. The same applies to animals. I don't believe that human beings are the enemy of the planet, just the thinking of some people. Ever think there's a reason other than rest for why a woman has a cycle? However, I recognize that selfishness and greed cause a whole lot of environmental problems, but humans should still practice self-control where populations are concerned.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 06:05:21 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 06:00:19 PM »

However, I wish to say that I am not a supporter of abortion or the Pill when it comes to birth-control, so don't try to put words in my mouth. Smiley

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 08:21:14 PM »

Another horrifying consequence of the elevation of animals and the devaluing of human beings. We are continually being inundated with the satanic message that people are the enemy of the planet. Many (not all) environmentalists will say unequivocally that the fewer people the better. And while it is undeniable that mankind fails to cherish and preserve the earth that God has entrusted to him, we must never lose sight of the fact that the earth exists for humanity. But satan confuses the minds of many, and pets and creatures are elevated to a status higher than people themselves. As Christians, we have to reaffirm the divine hierarchy of creation.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam 

There is nothing satanic about environmentalism. The idea is preposterous.

I never said environmentalism was satanic. Please see bold print above.

Selam
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 08:23:43 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 11:39:45 PM »

2 Charged in Tot's Strangling by Snake

http://news.aol.com/article/two-charged-in-python-strangling-death/637495

Aug. 24) - A Florida woman and her boyfriend have been charged with third-degree murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, who was strangled by a pet python.
Jaren Ashley Hare, 19, was charged with third-degree murder, manslaughter and child abuse in the death of her daughter, Shaiunna Hare, the Orlando Sentinel reported Monday. Hare's live-in boyfriend, Charles Jason Darnell, 32, faces the same charges, the newspaper said, citing the Sumter County sheriff's department.
Shaiunna was killed July 1 by an 8 ½-foot Burmese albino python that had escaped from its glass tank in the Oxford home. The snake was found curled around the toddler's body. Wildlife officials removed the python.

Cry
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:40:42 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 02:15:25 PM »

Such a sad story.   Cry

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: