Author Topic: Even Smileys Get Lost in Translation  (Read 764 times)

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
Even Smileys Get Lost in Translation
« on: August 16, 2009, 07:33:11 AM »
I have a friend in Japan I correspond with, and when she adds a smiley to show "happy", she types this (^_^)
I've always wondered why the mouth on her smiley doesn't smile, and today I discovered why.
Research has shown that people from East Asia focus their attention on a person's eyes as a means of interpreting their emotion, and as a result they have difficulty distinguishing facial expressions for different emotions where the eyes look similar (eg "surprised" vs. "fearful").
I wonder if this explains why the eyes are exaggerated and disproportionate in Japanese animations?

Here's the article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090813142131.htm
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
Re: Even Smileys Get Lost in Translation
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:18:19 AM »
Interesting!  I wondered that myself.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:12:50 AM »
Well that makes sense.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:46:17 AM »
I wonder if this explains why the eyes are exaggerated and disproportionate in Japanese animations?

I''ve always wondered about the giant moths and such in the movies.  Fascinating
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:46:32 AM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:23:52 PM »
Fascinating! I think the same applies to a certain degree to Eastern European culture. There's the saying "Eyes are the windows to the soul". I always look at people's eyes...therein can be found such  depth of emotion-whether joy or pain-and even clues as to the person's character. I find many western people in general very unsophisticated in their ability to read into the soul by observing facial expression compared to the more finely-tuned sensitivities of the Eastern European folks.
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +