OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:39:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Even Smileys Get Lost in Translation  (Read 674 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: August 16, 2009, 07:33:11 AM »

I have a friend in Japan I correspond with, and when she adds a smiley to show "happy", she types this (^_^)
I've always wondered why the mouth on her smiley doesn't smile, and today I discovered why.
Research has shown that people from East Asia focus their attention on a person's eyes as a means of interpreting their emotion, and as a result they have difficulty distinguishing facial expressions for different emotions where the eyes look similar (eg "surprised" vs. "fearful").
I wonder if this explains why the eyes are exaggerated and disproportionate in Japanese animations?

Here's the article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090813142131.htm

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:18:19 AM »

Interesting!  I wondered that myself.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:12:50 AM »

Well that makes sense.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:46:17 AM »

I wonder if this explains why the eyes are exaggerated and disproportionate in Japanese animations?

I''ve always wondered about the giant moths and such in the movies.  Fascinating
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:46:32 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:23:52 PM »

Fascinating! I think the same applies to a certain degree to Eastern European culture. There's the saying "Eyes are the windows to the soul". I always look at people's eyes...therein can be found such  depth of emotion-whether joy or pain-and even clues as to the person's character. I find many western people in general very unsophisticated in their ability to read into the soul by observing facial expression compared to the more finely-tuned sensitivities of the Eastern European folks.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: