OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:22:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking Theotokos Icon Caught on Camera  (Read 2180 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: August 19, 2009, 02:35:05 AM »

A strange "miracle" is currently occurring in Tblisi, Georgia. Thousands are flocking to see an Icon of the Theotokos where she apparently appears to be "speaking". The lips of the Theotokos appear to move on the Icon as though she is whispering something, stops and then starts again. Here's a video caught on a mobile phone camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLorS3sWcS8

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:28:07 AM »

Wow. I wish the video was clearer.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:19:27 AM »

Wow. I wish the video was clearer.

Yeah, me too. I don't doubt that it could be legit, but I certainly can't go by this video. It's just too fuzzy.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »

My middle name should be Thomas (doubting Thomas that is). I just don't buy it. I think that many people see what they want to see and that this is yet another example of suggestion. Why is an icon of the Blessed Mother asking folks to touch her hand? There's no point to this sort of thing other than to sensationalize. And listening to the weeping woman in the video makes me believe that she was a bit hysterical and therefore very susceptible to these sorts of suggestions. No way. Maybe my former Protestantism is far stronger in me than I had supposed but none of this strikes a sympathetic chord with me.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Dan-Romania
Moderated
Elder

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:55:03 AM »

Miracles come with a result a consequences and returning of faith.Miracle is for a single mom with many kids , to support her family , cook , take care of them and still have time to play with them and smile.Miracle is the way a child is touched , and the way a child sees God.Miracle is returning to faith , miracles are finding God , miracles are for those who work inquity to start working righteouss and do the will of God, miracle is for those who are sickened by sins to recover from their sinful life and state.Miracle is when an big accident takes place and from coincidence a car passes by and stops and the person driving happens to be a doctor.Every miracle has a purpose , a meaning and a result.

"I believe because it is impossible"
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 06:14:30 PM »

I hope That Ikona doesn't speak ,that people can actually hear a voice and some odd doctrine spewing forth..that's all we need is something contrary to the Holy Gospel and Holy  Fathers Faith Once Delivered....Like those questionable catholic ones...God Help us And save and protect Us...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »

It is kind of strange. Since the quality of the video, it is hard to tell. It's hard to say what is going on. We have to be cautious with things like these though and the same goes with apparitions.
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 08:14:12 PM »

I was trying to see whether or not the Christ-child's mouth was moving as well ... it didn't look like it was moving the way our Blessed Mothers' mouth seemed to be moving.  There is no question that if the Most Holy Theotokos wished to communicate with us in this manner she could.  Whether she really is or not with this particular icon we must wait and see I guess.  At any rate, I humbly ask our Most Holy, Most Blessed Lady Theotokos to pray for us sinners and please do not depart from us.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 01:45:44 AM »

I believe in miracles and have seen various videos of myrrh bearing Icons and weeping icons; however, I have watched this video a couple of times and I simply do not see the Theotokos' mouth moving in the icon. The camera is very grainy and it is hard to see Her mouth move (if it is really moving). While it would be cool if did happen, I have to remain a skeptic for now. 

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 01:55:25 AM »

I have to remain a skeptic for now. 
Always healthy!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 02:10:02 AM »

This made me think of this other fuzzy video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG-wfFUevVw&feature=related
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 08:06:19 AM »

I don't think it's real, it may be but for me, the blurriness around the mouths makes me question it a little bit...

In my opinion though, Orthodox miracles are much more believable than Catholic ones... Statues bleeding, opening eyes... Easily fakable (even when not attached to anything)...

However, when you have an icon on a 1/2" (or less) board (that was also painted on) bleed or exhude myhrr, it's much harder to say it's been faked.

Apparently this video is of the same one w/ the hand changing color (and temperature)
http://www.youtube.com/user/sb505#play/uploads/3/3JGUJ9AgKAQ

Also this video says she's blinking in the icon:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sb505#play/uploads/4/CTrojZJmk18
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:18:09 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Hamartolos
Elder

St. Gregory the Theologian, intercede for my soul.

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 10:15:50 AM »

Perhaps I am being too much of a skeptical cynic, I just think that if such a miraculous event was happening it would have a point.  What I mean is, when we see Icons weeping, we basically understand it has much to do with the sinfulness the world has succumbed to.  However, the Theotokos moving her mouth and not saying anything doesn't really make sense and benefits no one.  Just my thought...hopefully I'm not wrong!

Formerly known as "mctaviix"
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 10:51:44 AM »

I'm with the skeptics here, and my christmation name IS Thomas...LOL!

I watched the video, then went back and watched part of it again, and the baby Jesus mouth is "moving" as well. Once the camera zooms in closer the "moving" appears to stop, or at least slow down, this leads me to believe it is simply the digital artifacts and pixalization from the image. Notice other parts of the image "move" as well. In the end, my thought was if this is real "what is the point?" Is there some point to this? Touch her hand? Why? Miracles in the NT were performed because God is merciful, AND as a sign to bring people to faith. Even many of our "weeping Icons" I have serious doubts about because there seems to be no point. The Theotokos is crying because we're all sinful? I dunno, that just doesn't seem to flow with the rest of Orthodox theology. Did any Icons weep during the holocaust when such weeping would have been totally appropriate? Weeping icons in Texas or other places which are not exactly the worst places on earth just don't make much sense to me. Again, I'm a skeptic and God can do whatever He wants for whatever reason He wants. if this icon strengthens someone's faith, then all the better. But all I see is digital artifacts bluring out her mouth....now there were a few times where I looked and thought, wow, it DOES look real. But then my mind brings me back to the POINT of it all? Like Douglas, I admit maybe I'm just thinking too "Protestant", but I remain skeptical. The blinking Icon of the theotokos was FAR more convincing, just from video evidence, but again, what's the point? Part of me wonders if there isn't some deception by the Enemy going on here, and I'm hardly one who sees Satan going around playing tricks on everyone. But Paul did say he appears as an angel of light.....but this could just be Protestant hang ups I still have, or just my skeptical nature coming out. But I remain cautious because there HAVE been many deceptions over the centuries, like the Monastery in Texas or wherever it was.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:52:00 AM by NorthernPines » Logged
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »

Well now, I don't think weeping icons aren't always a result of sinfulness. I think I once heard that my home parish's icon of Mary weeped when there was a lot of infertility and stillbirths going on. (It was either my home parish, or it was someone hearing about another parish)

You also have the Sitka Icon in front of which, many miracles have happened.

I don't think weeping icons are always a result of sinfulness. They could also be a result of something else going on, like suffering and death.
Hamartolos
Elder

St. Gregory the Theologian, intercede for my soul.

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 11:41:58 AM »

Well now, I don't think weeping icons aren't always a result of sinfulness. I think I once heard that my home parish's icon of Mary weeped when there was a lot of infertility and stillbirths going on. (It was either my home parish, or it was someone hearing about another parish)

You also have the Sitka Icon in front of which, many miracles have happened.

I don't think weeping icons are always a result of sinfulness. They could also be a result of something else going on, like suffering and death.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so specific.  You're right and the fact is we really don't have any idea why these miraculous events happen.  However, the Church can offer tangible arguments for why it does.  I don't think this is as possible with moving mouths and such. 

Besides, these videos are of TERRIBLE quality.  The camera must be from the '90s or something as my cell phone camera would take a much clearer video than that...the reasoning for such poor cinematography?  The posters of this video don't want it to be clear...because it is a fraud. 

Formerly known as "mctaviix"
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »

Yeah, as I also had mentioned before, not just the poor quality, but it's blurry/smuged around the mouths, which make it very suspicious... (not to mention these "Orthodox Miracles" of the Theotokos are all posted on Youtube by ONE user...)
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »

Yeah, as I also had mentioned before, not just the poor quality, but it's blurry/smuged around the mouths, which make it very suspicious... (not to mention these "Orthodox Miracles" of the Theotokos are all posted on Youtube by ONE user...)

LOL! I hadn't even noticed that at all.

Tags: icons wonderworking icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: