OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 08:53:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unity of Antiochians and OCA - Dreaming  (Read 8595 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »

I know of three Antiochian, one Greek, and one ROCOR parish(es) in Idaho.  There may well be more.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2011, 01:11:37 AM »

I know of three Antiochian, one Greek, and one ROCOR parish(es) in Idaho.  There may well be more.

If anyone has the new Atlas of American Orthodox Christian Churches then we could find out if there are more! lol
I think there is also a .pdf on orthodoxreality.org that has the states and how many churches are there, but I have no clue right now where to find it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:12:54 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2011, 10:45:22 PM »

Out of curiosity, why would it really even matter if they merged.

If they are united in Eucharist?

Isn't the Orthodox understanding of the Eucharist that when your receive the body & blood, that you are in 100% communion with every Orthodox Christian Worldwide? (of course "Orthodox" meaning the ones that your jurisdiction is in communion with)

If the real point is the Eucharist and sacraments, the jurisdictional issues really only mean a "churchy", "money", and "property line" issue.  I could not imagine this happening.    However, sure, anything is possible.   But within the same communion, I just don't see the point I guess?? 

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »

Out of curiosity, why would it really even matter if they merged.

If they are united in Eucharist?

Isn't the Orthodox understanding of the Eucharist that when your receive the body & blood, that you are in 100% communion with every Orthodox Christian Worldwide? (of course "Orthodox" meaning the ones that your jurisdiction is in communion with)

If the real point is the Eucharist and sacraments, the jurisdictional issues really only mean a "churchy", "money", and "property line" issue.  I could not imagine this happening.    However, sure, anything is possible.   But within the same communion, I just don't see the point I guess??  

Well, for starters, instead of huge dioceses where the bishop is running around constantly and still doesn't get to all the parishes, we can have local compact dioceses where not only is the bishop not running himself into a grave but can reach all his parishes and they can all easily reach him.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:50:45 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2012, 03:35:17 PM »

I just saw this map and it reminded me of the above post, for comparison:

Its the population density of the USA in 2000

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2012, 10:25:44 PM »

the map has been updated:

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 06:42:16 AM »

That would be really nice and all but I honestly doubt it would work out. I've never attended an Antiochian Church and I know very little about the formal relations between the OCA and Antiochian Church, but from what Arab Christians at my Church have told me, the Antiochians do not have very positive thoughts about the OCA, and are generally skeptical of non-Arabs. Now combine this with the fact that the OCA is extremely laid back and made up mostly of western converts and I think you have a bad combination. I had always thought that the OCA and ROCOR were the closest North American jurisdictions and were likely to merge together since they both share a common ancestor (Russian Patriarch).

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 07:07:09 AM »

That would be really nice and all but I honestly doubt it would work out. I've never attended an Antiochian Church and I know very little about the formal relations between the OCA and Antiochian Church, but from what Arab Christians at my Church have told me, the Antiochians do not have very positive thoughts about the OCA, and are generally skeptical of non-Arabs. Now combine this with the fact that the OCA is extremely laid back and made up mostly of western converts and I think you have a bad combination. I had always thought that the OCA and ROCOR were the closest North American jurisdictions and were likely to merge together since they both share a common ancestor (Russian Patriarch).
JamesR, I wonder if you're being unduly influenced by the Arabs in your church who may have left the Antiochian church for personal reasons (yes, I realize that's just supposition on my part - you will know better than I). My own small parish is predominantly non-Arab - and the few Arabs that we have are in ethnically mixed marriages or well on the way to local cultural assimilation. We have an excellent relationship with a small OCA parish about 45 minutes away. Their deacon occasionally assists our priest for weddings, funerals, etc. That deacon's brother (and family) is a member of our parish. Experiences will vary. Unity of this sort at the local level will happen long before any formal administrative unity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »

Arabs are no longer a majority in the Antiochian Archdiocese, and since the 1980s, Antiochian clergy have been about 70 percent non-Arab.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »

JamesR, I wonder if you're being unduly influenced by the Arabs in your church who may have left the Antiochian church for personal reasons (yes, I realize that's just supposition on my part - you will know better than I). My own small parish is predominantly non-Arab - and the few Arabs that we have are in ethnically mixed marriages or well on the way to local cultural assimilation. We have an excellent relationship with a small OCA parish about 45 minutes away. Their deacon occasionally assists our priest for weddings, funerals, etc. That deacon's brother (and family) is a member of our parish. Experiences will vary. Unity of this sort at the local level will happen long before any formal administrative unity.

No, he's just making stuff up as he goes along based on his own imagination and what he reads on the internet.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »

I personally hope for it but I doubt it will be any time soon. There is the supposed general council sometime in 2013, but there is too much ego, too much money, too much property, and really, too much loyalty to the jurisdiction to clean it all up in one meeting.

In reference to the arabs, I really think its not so much arabs, or even laity for that matter. Its the leadership.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 08:46:12 PM »

No, he's just making stuff up as he goes along based on his own imagination and what he reads on the internet.

Boy am I glad that I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.  It would have cost me a laptop.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »

I personally hope for it but I doubt it will be any time soon. There is the supposed general council sometime in 2013, but there is too much ego, too much money, too much property, and really, too much loyalty to the jurisdiction to clean it all up in one meeting.

In reference to the arabs, I really think its not so much arabs, or even laity for that matter. Its the leadership.

PP

Yes, but there have been 50 years of meetings leading up to the one meeting.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »

PP

Yes, but there have been 50 years of meetings leading up to the one meeting.
QFT

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: