OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 02:04:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROCOR Liturgy  (Read 2808 times) Average Rating: 0
Jenny

« on: November 09, 2002, 03:52:22 PM »

I called today and spoke with the priest at an ROCOR parish.  I'm planning on going to Divine Liturgy tomorrow.  He told me that I need to wear a dress (no pants are allowed) and a head covering.  I told him I didn't have a head covering, but he said that they have extra.  I'm really happy to be going but, I'm a little nervous.  It's been a long time since I've been to Divine Liturgy at any Orthodox church, and I've never been to an ROCOR parish.  I'm wondering what to expect.  I don't want to do the wrong thing.  It sounds very traditional.  Any advice/suggestions?

I was going to go to their Vespers tonight but the priest told me that their chantors(sp?) were away and so there wouldn't be any Vespers.  At the OCA parish near my house, they're doing construction, so their answering machine is saying they're not having Vespers either.  I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get to go to Vespers!

God Bless,

Jenny

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2002, 08:50:38 PM »

Please let us know your thoughts after attending. The women may stand on the noth side,  on the side of the iconstasis with the Theotokos. I'd just suggest standing towards the back and following along with whatever anyone else does. Since you've been to Orthodox Churches before, I'm sure you know abour venerating icons and such. http://OrthodoxInfo.com has in depth directions should you want them. But relax, follow along and enjoy the experience. I'll be praying for you. God Bless!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2002, 08:53:18 PM »

Does ROCOR usually say their liturgies in Slavonic? I went to a ROCOR church where it was in English.

Bobby
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2002, 09:57:05 PM »

Does ROCOR usually say their liturgies in Slavonic? I went to a ROCOR church where it was in English.
Bobby

Some ROCOR parishes are considered "English-language" missions, Bobby.  The one nearest to me has a priest who is an Irish-American convert, and he knows very little Slavonic and virtually no Russian, so the Services are 98% in English.  

My OCA parish, OTOH, still retains the word "Russian" in its official name, is less than 1 mile away from the ROCOR church, and uses about 25% Slavonic in the Sunday Divine Liturgy.

However, I have attended Services in a ROCOR church in another state where Slavonic was utilized in 100% of the Services, and the sermon/homily was in Russian: no English at all!

Hypo-Ortho
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2002, 11:41:25 PM »

Some are all Russian, some are all Slavonic, some are all ENglish and others are a mix of any of the above or others. A few have Greek spoken in them as well.

Mine is about 50-50 which is perfect IMO. The other ROCOR church in town is all Slavonic by order of their by-laws. In fact, when you look up your local ROCOR parishes at http://directory.sjkp.org it tells which language(s) are used in the liturgies. God Bless!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Jenny

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2002, 08:39:40 AM »

Hi Nik,

Thank you so much for your advice.  I do know about venerating icons, although I haven't done it before myself.  I never did it when I went to Orthodox Churches before (even though I accepted intellectually that there was nothing wrong with it, it still felt weird).  But I will stand towards the back and follow along.  And thank you for your prayers!!!   I'll let you know how it goes.

God Bless,

Jenny
Jenny

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2002, 08:43:10 AM »

"Some ROCOR parishes are considered "English-language" missions, Bobby."

The one I am going to is a mission church and the priest said the Liturgy is 90% in English.  

God Bless,

Jenny
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2002, 10:06:19 PM »

I don't know of any ROCOR or other Russian Orthodox churches that have services in Russian, though the Russian Church right before World War I considering doing it (translating them from Slavonic into today's language). Some ROCOR churches do mostly or all Slavonic, some a mixture of Slavonic and English and some mostly or all English.

Josaphat

What's the deal with Llamas?

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2002, 01:13:40 AM »

When Metropolitan Laurus was visiting my local parish for the priest's conference, the epistle was accidentally read in Russian!  The consequence was that everyone understood what was being said.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2002, 05:56:56 PM »

When Metropolitan Laurus was visiting my local parish for the priest's conference, the epistle was accidentally read in Russian!  The consequence was that everyone understood what was being said.

Except those that understood neither Slavonic nor Russian!    Grin  (And, believe it or not, there are actually some ROCOR clergy, converts mainly, who do not understand either language.)
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2002, 06:19:26 PM »

Except those that understood neither Slavonic nor Russian! And, believe it or not, there are actually some ROCOR clergy, converts mainly, who do not understand either language.

I know — rare but true. I once visited St Elias Church in Placerville, California, and the priests there are exactly that way.

Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2002, 12:30:45 AM »

Hypo,

Except those that understood neither Slavonic nor Russian!      (And, believe it or not, there are actually some ROCOR clergy, converts mainly, who do not understand either language.)

Yes it does happen, which doesn't bother me as it may others... since my background isn't Russian to begin with (though I suppose as time goes on, it is becoming something of a "second", and adopted culture for me...however, I don't want to ever become one of these "russophile" people who end up seeming kind of pathetic/wanna-be-ish)..

Seraphim - yes, a Latino/Celtic quasi-Russophile... weirder things have happened I suppose.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: