OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:53:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christians in Sudan  (Read 1953 times) Average Rating: 0
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« on: November 25, 2003, 09:51:53 AM »

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=10988

Articles such as this make me weep for the cruelties of man.  When will the west wake up and realize - ISLAM IS NOT OUR FRIEND??

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 10:31:57 AM »

Articles such as this make me weep for the cruelties of man.  When will the west wake up and realize - ISLAM IS NOT OUR FRIEND??

Max, you are preaching to the proverbial choir here.  Most of us who are either Orthodox or Catholic already know this, but how do we convince the Protestants of it?

Hypo-Ortho
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 10:34:49 AM »

I agree.  This has been a problem since the 7th century.  It has not changed.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 12:11:07 PM »

Hypo: it's not the Protestants that need convincing - prominent Presbyterian Minister D. James Kennedy talks about it frequently.  It’s the Politicians we need to convince.  We all know that POLITICIANS for the most part, are nominal Christians at best.

It’s like an old joke in my family -

Mother - You know you shouldn’t lie.  Lying is wrong.  You know where Liars go don’t you?

Me - YEA, Congress.

Grin;D;D

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 12:46:02 PM »

Brother Max,  I think you said it right.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 03:18:05 PM »

Dear Non-Muslim Friends: Wink

Some facts about Sudan (or the Sudan):

Arabs to the North constitute only 39% of a total population of ~38 million (2003 est.).  The majority of 52% to the South are black. The remaining 9% are foreigners or non-Sudanese.

However, 70% of the population are Sunni Muslim, which explains the imposition of Shariah on the country by the ruling Muslim minority in the early 1980s, which was opposed by the Christian and animist South that led to the civil war.

Approximately 9% of the total population are Christian, mostly Catholics, whose pastoral concerns are overseen by the Sudan Catholic Bishops' Conference(SCBC) headquartered in Khartoum.

n++It is the largest country on the African continent. Christianity was introduced from Egypt in the 6th century. Under Arab rule, it was gradually eliminated in the North (probably Coptic Christians?). Evangelization in the South began in the 19th century, resulting in 40,000 Catholics by 1931, with further progress till 1957, when the republic was established.

In 1962, restrictions were put on religious freedom, and foreign missionaries expelled. In 1971 some missionaries were allowed back, and in 1974 the hierarchy was established.

Fighting began in 1983 between the Arab Muslim North and the black Christian and animist South, which resisted Islamization. In 1984 Islamic penal codes (Shariah) were imposed.

Recent policies deny Christians places of worship and the right to gather for prayer. Their churches, schools, and hospitals have been bombed, and Christian and animist children sold into slavery.

Appeals to Europe, the US, and the UN have gone unheard. Catholics (all in the South) are 8.2%, of the total population,  or approximately 3 million or so.

This is a case of Arab Muslims enslaving Black Christians and animists. Sad

AmdG

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 03:21:13 PM »

Politicians believe anything convenient.   Belief in Islamic kindness is convenient due to oil. Please pray for my cousin Demetri, a soldier in Afghanistan.  He will be there for six more months....experiencing political stupidity and local kindness.

Politicians SAY anything convenient, and tolerate anything which will keep them in power with some few exceptions.  We have very few statemen in the world today.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 06:33:08 PM »

vicki: Welp from what I saw Last week during that Marathon session of Congress where the liberals blocked the appointment of minority judges who have the nerve to be politically conservative ( SHAME ON THEM!!) they don't sleep much at all Wink
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 06:33:58 PM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 09:57:23 PM »

vicki: humm . . . possible . . . maybe if they are presbyterian . . . their services tend to be rather dry . . . or maybe Roman Catholic . . . Grin JUST KIDDING

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 02:58:16 PM »

Let us Christians remember that people of other faiths suffer as well. Let us never fall into the self righteous lone Lone Ranger attitude

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:16:54 PM »

I read an excellent and heartbreaking book a few years ago that describes the complexities of the crisis in Sudan. It's so much deeper and horific than we realize.

http://www.amazon.com/Emmas-War-Deborah-Scroggins/dp/0375703772

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
tomowapig

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Christian (struggling)

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 05:23:11 PM »

Not just Islam, I'm afraid.  What was it that Pogo (?) said long ago, "We have met the enemy and he is us."
Aristobolus

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »

Let us Christians remember that people of other faiths suffer as well. Let us never fall into the self righteous lone Lone Ranger attitude

The enemy is the Koran; the people who are enslaved by it are to be pittied, prayed for, and witnessed to with the saving Good News of Christ.  Both the Christian and Islamic Faiths are spread by the Sword; the latter does so by lancing its enemies, the former by the lance piercing its Lord's side.  To ignore that Allah of the Koran commands the spread of his faith by violent means is either ignorance or duplicity; to equate the suffering of innocent Christians with the deaths of Islam in its military battles is blashphemy. 

What should we do, add non-Christian martyrs to the Synaxarion?  If only God's people would daily read from resources like the Prologue of Ochrid, they would be fortified with stories of the many martyrs whose blood has been shed by the Mohammedans.

This is not "self-righteousness"; this is the Truth.  The obvious danger here is to descend into syncretism or relativism.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: