Author Topic: Hilary of Poitiers  (Read 1132 times)

Offline truthstalker

Hilary of Poitiers
« on: August 15, 2009, 07:10:30 PM »
What is the Orthodox perspective on Hilary of Poitiers, Roman Catholic saint and writer of a work on the Trinity?

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
Re: Hilary of Poitiers
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:30:18 PM »
You mean Orthodox and Roman Catholic saint.  ;)

He is venerated and well respected within the Orthodox Church, even though, unfortunately, like some other western Saints, he is relatively unheard of in certain parishes.  Here is a page about his feast day by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in Australia:  http://home.iprimus.com.au/xenos/hilary.html
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline truthstalker

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:41:27 PM »
Ah.  Thank you.

In importance how does he compare to, say, Basil or the Gregories? Or Augustine of Hippo, John of Damascus, or other Orthodox theologians?

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:01:21 PM »
Ah.  Thank you.

In importance how does he compare to, say, Basil or the Gregories? Or Augustine of Hippo, John of Damascus, or other Orthodox theologians?

As Orthodoxy is branching out and absorbing more of Western culture, I think we will start to find pre-Schism Western saints grow more and more in popularity and influence.  St. Hilary of Poitiers is well known and well cited by some Priests, while others will treat him much more obscurely and focus on other, 'local' Saints.  That being said, he is a very important Saint.  Within certain circles, you will hear parts of his De Trinitate, De Synodis and Commentaries on the Psalms quite often.  Universally in Orthodoxy, I would not say he is viewed in the same light as the Roman Catholic or other western Churches view him, but there is always time as Orthodoxy "re-discovers" many of its western treasures after some time of Eastern isolation.  One only has to look at the explosion of interest in Celtic saints to see this in action.  It is a great thing to behold, especially since saints like St. Martin of Tours, St. Hilary of Poitiers, St. Hubert of Liege, etc, all have such wonderful stories and lessons to guide us with.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline truthstalker

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 11:13:21 PM »
Your first sentence is intriguing and suggestive. However, I will leave it at that.

My understanding is that Augustine based much of his work on the Trinity on Hilary's work.  I am currently reading Hilary's, which in the translation I have is a joy to read.