OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:23:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Anthony's Greek Orthodox Monastery- Getting There  (Read 1369 times) Average Rating: 0
emmanuelmelo

OC.net

« on: August 13, 2005, 01:35:11 PM »

Hey Everyone !

I am planning on flying into Phoenix, Arizona from the 19-21 of August with the purpose of visiting St. Anthony's Monastery in Florence, AZ.  Here is my question- How do I get there as it is like a 50 mile drive from the airport??!?!??!?!?!?!?!  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, feel free to reply.  Thanks alot

-Emmanuelmelo

NULL
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 01:45:54 PM »

Hello!

While I live in Arizona, I've never been to Florence (and hopefully never will, except to visit the Monastery maybe one day, lol, its a big prison town, hopefully I won't be going to jail! Wink), and I'm not 100% sure how to get there, I did find this on their website: http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/VisitorInfo.htm  Look under "From Phoenix".  I'm sure the airport can help you with getting on the I-10. 

Good luck with everything!

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 04:40:57 PM »

Usually car is the best way to get there!  But just IM me and I'll take care of things as I do live in Chandler, AZ...
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 05:07:16 PM »

Usually car is the best way to get there!ÂÂ  But just IM me and I'll take care of things as I do live in Chandler, AZ...

That's better yet, Silouan! Smiley  I wish I could go, but I know my parents won't let me...

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 05:12:34 PM »

Tell them you just need to do a little exploring.  I understand parents though that are very opposed to Orthodoxy and religion in general from personal experience....so that is one reason to consider moving out when you're 18 like I'm doing.  Freedom is nice. 
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 01:42:57 PM »

Hi, if you call the monastery in advance a monk can come and pick you up by van from the airport. Chances are you will not be the only one visiting the monastery that day.

Good luck, Timos
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 02:51:54 PM »

Yeah but I can make an hour drive into a 45 minute drive while blasting byzantine chant from my stereo - it doesn't get much better than that folks. 
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 11:52:53 AM »

The first phase of OC.net Arizona-fest is over, I took Emmanuel out to the monastery after stopping for some good Mexican food first.  Here are some pics of the monastery I took out there yesterday.  The big church pictured is St. George where church is usually held on Sundays; it is a Romanian style church.  Inside the big belltower is a tiny chapel (with room for about three!) shown in pics 508 and 510.  Picture 513 is Geronda's Kelli that has a chapel dedicated to St. Pantileimon inside.  The other little chapel shown is St. Demetrios which is Russian style.  Not shown is St. Nicholas, St. Seraphim nor the Katholikon of St. Nektarios.  Another time though, I'll get those!

Also note the first few pictures are a very beautiful point in the desert on the way to the monastery.  Our desert here is amazingly full of life when you consider we get less than 7 inches of rain a year! 

If anyone else is interested in making the trek out to AZ before I leave in October,  let me know - it is well worth it. 

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/philotheitis/album?.dir=/6206
emmanuelmelo

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 09:41:16 AM »

As a response to Silouan's post, I must thank him for taking me out to the monastery.  It was a tremendous spiritual experience, and I encourage all of you to visit one of Elder Ephraim's monasteries.  Do not expect a paradise on earth.  Sometimes, your fellow pilgrims at the monastery will drive you completely up the wall- however the spiritual life at ST. Anthony's monastery is quite impressive, and it more than makes up for it. THe only thing I wish is that in the future they have services in English.  Although from all accounts this will happen sooner or later.  May God bless all of you

-Emmanuel

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: