OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 04:22:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Know What Book This Is?  (Read 648 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: August 14, 2009, 02:41:05 PM »

Sorry y'all but this is driving me nuts and someone's bound to know the name of this book I've been looking for what seems forever.  Couldn't find it at all on Library Things "Name that book" forum.

Sci Fi, 1980's.  Story about planetary colonization gone wrong.  Some kind of creature is killing everyone off in the colony and it is finally determined that the fish-like creatures in the rivers/sea have a complex life cycle.  The "fish" the colonists are eating are actually just a life cycle stage of this creature.

Sounds totally stupid written out like this but it was actually a very good, suspenseful book.

Thanks!

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:54:49 PM »

Huh

I found this:

"Fisherman's Hope" by David Feintuch

Published in 1996 by Warner Books,it weighs in at 482 pages. One error noted.

Capt. Nicholas Seafort has time and again come to the rescue of humanity in their struggle against the strange 'Fish', a species of space being that can 'Fuse' for travel between the stars and planets, a technology recently discovered by humans that has allowed them to start colonizing local star systems. Use by the humans of Fuse technology attracts the Fish, who have attacked star ships and colonies as a result. So far, none have come to Sol system.

Capt. Seafort is a bad politician, so he gets assigned to the position of Commandant of the Naval Academy to help rebuild the devestated Fleet of planet Earth. He's also wracked by guilt as the only way he's been able to do what he has done is by violating the very codes and principles he holds dear, even mutiny when necessary to save the ship and what he could of its crew.

After a short 'boot camp' on Earth, the Cadets are shipped up to the far side of the Moon for space and Officer training. On Seafort's first trip outside with his charges some skittish behavior by the nervous cadets leads to a smashed faceplate, and the first flagstone in Seafort's new soul-wracking trip down guilt lane. A path that leads to desperate measures when the Fish start showing up in Home system, and he's left weaponless in the face of a seemingly implacable foe. Or is he weaponless, and if not at what cost?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »

I'll ask the sci-fi geeks on another site I frequent; surely someone there will know it!  Here are some suggestions so far:

Legacy of Heorot by Larry Niven  (this sounds the closest, but I haven't read it myself)

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 03:15:08 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 04:59:01 PM »

I'll ask the sci-fi geeks on another site I frequent; surely someone there will know it!  Here are some suggestions so far:

Legacy of Heorot by Larry Niven  (this sounds the closest, but I haven't read it myself)

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh thank you, thank you EofK.  Man, has that been bugging me.  I've read so much of Larry Niven's work years ago I don't know why I didn't start with his name.  You've made my day.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 05:22:14 PM »

You're welcome!  From the description, it sounds pretty interesting.  I'll have to pick it up at the library sometime. Smiley

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 07:16:48 PM »

Ever read Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes? Greeeeeat book! Wish I had it on my shelf! Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invitation_to_the_Game
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:17:27 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 11:30:35 PM »

Ever read Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes? Greeeeeat book! Wish I had it on my shelf! Smiley

That sounds very interesting Myrrh23.  Thanks for the recommendation; it's going on my 3 page list of books I want to read.  I really wish I could read faster.  Too many good books to read and not enough time to do it.

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 02:02:03 AM »

Too many good books to read and not enough time to do it.

Story of my life, LOL! Cheesy

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: