OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 09:59:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is it good idea to consider a filtered version of OC.net that many of the Topics (conflicts ) that go unresolved be directed to the appropriate Administrative leader?
Good Idea - 10 (43.5%)
Bad Idea - 9 (39.1%)
Already in talks with my bishop - 1 (4.3%)
Needs some more time to figure out what OC.net is used for - 3 (13%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you ok with our Bishops directing our concerns from OC.net?  (Read 1837 times) Average Rating: 0
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« on: August 11, 2009, 11:02:48 PM »

I haven't even bothered to manage to check out listserv of the OCA board. How do they get the buzz of whats going on on Laity-level when we have a problem? Do they read this and other fora(s)? What do they think?
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:08:30 PM »

I haven't even bothered to manage to check out listserv of the OCA board. How do they get the buzz of whats going on on Laity-level when we have a problem? Do they read this and other fora(s)? What do they think?

If a layperson has a problem, then he or she may contact their Bishop directly via phone, correspondence, going to the Cathedral they are seated at. I've gone up to my Bishop during coffee hour after Liturgy to express my concerns/ask for a blessing.

While it's not impossible for the Bishops to read forums such as this, I hardly think they have the time to do so.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:16:23 PM »

Do bishops in the likelihood address some rather controversial stuff like who making the right call in their Synod?  Decision of the Holy Synod of Antioch thread comes to mind. People here can be very divisive when we agree to disagree but has a bishop made a pronouncement on things that OC.net played a role?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:31:48 PM »

Indirectly at least: in the issue in Antioch, the legal documents on OCAnews was involved, and some of them were from OC.net

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:40:33 PM »

While it's not impossible for the Bishops to read forums such as this, I hardly think they have the time to do so.

You might be surprised...  Cool

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 01:26:08 AM »

I imagine that Bishop Tikhon may like to be invited here.  He is retired now from the see of San Francisco and still enjoys making some very knowledgeable contributions to other Orthodox forums (fora if you like. laugh )
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 02:11:39 AM »

I imagine that Bishop Tikhon may like to be invited here.  He is retired now from the see of San Francisco and still enjoys making some very knowledgeable contributions to other Orthodox forums (fora if you like. laugh )

I saw his video response and I wondered if he was addressing future St Tikhons Donors as a means to respond back to him as if he wanted to address their concerns. Even in a YouTube setting a few hundred can find his video. But responding wouldn't be so easy.

In this environment you address your concerns privately while still going in the public forum to be aware of a dilemna Churces are going through. NOT TO Make it more scandalous but easily aware of open dialogue and to see if any amicable solution can come out and the sort. Or maybe this is just too open an environment that the bishops don't want to do that. This is all on record btw which is highly benign for Synodical members to shoot themselves in the foot when they provide short and concise answers. Were still arguing threads here long after after they've been pretty much given the run through. Im saying I wouldn't want this to be No HOLDS Barred fight club but filtered topics given to bishops in their Synod meeting can work.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:58:13 PM »

There is not enough choices to answer the poll.   Huh
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 02:10:12 PM »

I think it is yet to be determined what this site will/should be used for.  If a bishop would like to join they have the freedom to do so.  If they want to see our arguments and utilize them, again that's their right/freedom.  Whether or not we should promote the site?  OF COURSE WE SHOULD!  But let's not get ahead of ourselves...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 02:38:16 PM »

With all due respect Father, while I am not saying it is implausible for Bishops to read the forums, I would hardly call this the most direct route to register a concern or complaint.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »

With all due respect Father, while I am not saying it is implausible for Bishops to read the forums, I would hardly call this the most direct route to register a concern or complaint.

It is a rather good place though if you want to get a variety of opinion.  Also, people require each other to back things up on OCNET which is very helpful for anyone who wants to be thorough about a topic/issue. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 03:06:50 PM »

When I have a question, I just raise it with my Bishop directly.

I don't think most Bishops would find our discussions here that helpful -- especially since many of the posters probably aren't even under their omophorion. We've got a wide diversity of posters, both in terms of jurisdiction and location.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »

I agree with you that it is not the most direct route to register a concern or complaint, but I can assure you that I know for a fact that there are bishops who read this forum.   Cool

I doubt they are doing it for any methodical research purposes but I do believe that forums give some idea of what people are thinking and how they are interacting. Plus, some of them just enjoy reading forums...for fun  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:42:47 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 06:54:43 AM »

This forum is no big deal. It is hardly representative of Orthodoxy throughout the world given it's membership numbers and the fact that the vast majority of members don't even post. No bishop in their right mind would use OCnet or any other internet forum as a way of having his "finger on the pulse". list servers, internet forums etc always attract the very vocal extreme minority since it costs nothing to have a potentially global sized soap box.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 07:37:47 AM »

The "filter" would concern me...who would decide what needs to be sent and what should not be sent..
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »

There is not enough choices to answer the poll.   Huh

It's a bad idea and I voted as such.   Smiley
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 02:23:47 PM »

This forum is no big deal. It is hardly representative of Orthodoxy throughout the world given it's membership numbers and the fact that the vast majority of members don't even post. No bishop in their right mind would use OCnet or any other internet forum as a way of having his "finger on the pulse". list servers, internet forums etc always attract the very vocal extreme minority since it costs nothing to have a potentially global sized soap box.

I think it would be foolish to primarily rely on an internet forum or blogs, but I think it is part of the data nevertheless.  Especially given the recent success of forums and blogs in exposing corruption, it would be a good idea to monitor forums and blogs to get an idea of what some people are talking about. I doubt you can say it is an extreme vocal minority either, since as far as I can tell, most viewpoints are represented across the various forums and blogs.  Vocal though I would agree on.

Please Buy My Book!

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 03:49:20 PM »

I think it would be foolish to primarily rely on an internet forum or blogs, but I think it is part of the data nevertheless.  Especially given the recent success of forums and blogs in exposing corruption, it would be a good idea to monitor forums and blogs to get an idea of what some people are talking about. I doubt you can say it is an extreme vocal minority either, since as far as I can tell, most viewpoints are represented across the various forums and blogs.  Vocal though I would agree on.

1) At present this forum has 3,262 members, of which less than 100 constitute active posters. That in itself is an extremely small minority.

2) The forums and blogs which you say have "success in exposing corruption" do not represent "most viewpoints", they are skewed, and in two cases exist based on the assumption that allegations of corruption are tue.

3) Truth is not about "viewpoints", its about facts.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 04:10:36 PM »

I would just say that I know some of the bishops do check out what's happening on the internet.  Some of them don't read it directly, but hear about it from their staffers, who keep them informed about what's being said. 

For example, consider the recent hype over Metropolitan +JONAH's infamous sermon.  He gave a sermon that he probably didn't think would be heard/read/seen by the entire world.  But that's YouTube for you, and the internet, and the fora, etc.  His sermon made it all the way back to the Patriarch.  And how, I would ask?  The number of people in that church when he gave it was relatively few, and chances are few, if any, of them were scandalized enough by it to call other people and spread the word.  The reason it went all over the country and all the way back to the Patriarch was because of the internet.  It can, indeed, be a useful tool for spreading the word...

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 04:20:34 PM »

1) At present this forum has 3,262 members, of which less than 100 constitute active posters. That in itself is an extremely small minority.

I agree in terms of numbers, but the question is is it a representative sample? I would say in some ways yes; on this forum for instance we have basically all positions that I have encountered in "real world" parishes, monasteries, and seminaries and even a smattering of non-Orthodox academic approaches too, all interacting.  But again, I did state that I believe it is merely part of the data.

2) The forums and blogs which you say have "success in exposing corruption" do not represent "most viewpoints", they are skewed, and in two cases exist based on the assumption that allegations of corruption are tue.

I didn't mean that only the forums and blogs exposing corruption are respresentative, but that the totality of forums and blogs do demonstrate many if not most of the positions that I have encountered in real-world Orthodoxy so to speak.  I do agree that there is a slant on those two blogs, but again, they did in fact lead to something in the "real world." So it would be a good idea for various people in positions of authority to keep an eye out for trends that might be developing, as but one part of a greater campaign to constantly be aware of what is going on inside one's diocese, etc.  Technology is here to stay, is going to keep growing.  It can be used to one's advantage or disadvantage.  I'm sure that some people who ignored the power of blogs to expose corruption are wishing they had not, and I bet they feel the same way as people who were against newspapers back in the day.

3) Truth is not about "viewpoints", its about facts.

Thanks for pointing that out  Cheesy

Please Buy My Book!

Tags: bishops 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: