OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 11:54:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Theological Classics  (Read 1350 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« on: August 11, 2009, 03:03:04 AM »

I was looking for a book of John of Damascus's An Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith, which I was unable to find, and I got to wondering about the 'classic' theological works.  Can you all please provide me with a list of the essentials, such as On the Incarnation and the like, complete with links to books for purchase?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 03:58:12 AM »

I just copy-pasted John Cassian's On the Incarnation from New Advent:

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3509.htm

It isn't necessarily "a classic", or that popular, but I was pleased to find a Western perspective on the Nestorian controversy given that most of the other figures who wrote about it were Eastern Christian.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:38:08 AM »

Here's a link to an online version:

http://www.orthodox.net/fathers/exacti.html#BOOK_I_CHAPTER_I
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:17:02 AM »

If English is your primary language, probably the easiest way to go about building your Patristic library is to work your way through St. Vladimir's Popular Patristic series: http://www.svspress.com/index.php?cPath=43_8_16

You'll get good introductions, notes and readable translations of many of the seminal authors, including selections that deal with dogmatics (especially Christology), iconography, liturgics, sacraments, asceticism, social outreach, prayer and mysticism.

If you don't mind sending your money to the Big Daddy of Protestant/Christian book sellers, then buy them here at a discount: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=1192577&sp=85684

Personally, I would also snag a copy of the Apostolic Fathers (those from the early second century) and read those first. I recommend The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations by Michael W. Holmes, since it has the most up-to-date manuscripts and translation, but there are many other volumes available, including some that are in the public domain, so you could read them online for free (for example, http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html, where you can also read old translations of many important Patristic works that aren't in the SVS series).

After reading the Apostolic Fathers, I'd work through some of the most important entries in the SVS series in this order (kind of influenced by chronology, but mixing it up occasionally for the sake of thematic variety):

On the Apostolic Preaching: St Irenaeus of Lyons 
On the Apostolic Tradition: St. Hippolytus
On the Christian Sacraments: St Cyril of Jerusalem
On the Incarnation: St. Athanasius the Great
On the Holy Spirit: St Basil the Great
On Ascetical Life: St Isaac of Nineveh
On God and Christ: The Five Theological Orations: St Gregory the Theologian
On the Unity of Christ: St Cyril of Alexandria
On Wealth and Poverty: St John Chrysostom
On The Divine Liturgy: St Germanus of Constantinople
Three Treatises on the Divine Images: St. John of Damascus
On Marriage and Family Life: St John Chrysostom
On the Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ: St. Maximos the Confessor
On the Mystical Life, Vols. I, II & III: St. Symeon the New Theologian

Mix it up even more if you want, and, of course, move on to the various other entries in the series thereafter. There are probably about 12 others in addition to the ones listed above.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:11:57 AM »

I just copy-pasted John Cassian's On the Incarnation from New Advent:

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3509.htm

It isn't necessarily "a classic", or that popular, but I was pleased to find a Western perspective on the Nestorian controversy given that most of the other figures who wrote about it were Eastern Christian.

How is John Cassian Western?  He was Romanian.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »

When it gets reprinted, The Ascetical Homilies of St. Isaac the Syrian is a must. It has been out of print for some time and used copies can goes for over a thousand bucks but Holy Transfiguration Monastery says that the second edition will be available at the end of the year, God willing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:40:46 AM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »

If English is your primary language, probably the easiest way to go about building your Patristic library is to work your way through St. Vladimir's Popular Patristic series: http://www.svspress.com/index.php?cPath=43_8_16

Is their any way to figure out the actual numbering in the series?  Is it cataloged anywhere?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 05:18:18 PM »

"How is John Cassian Western?  He was Romanian."

My understanding was that he predominantly lived and worked in the West, though he came from the East.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 06:12:27 PM »

I would take a different view of what constitutes a classic theological classic: classic as not as ancient but most influential. In this vein, the following 20th Century theologians should be considered: Georges Florovsky, Father Alexander Schmemann, Jaroslav Pelikan, Father John Meyendorf, Father Seraphim Rose, Vladimir Lossky, Father Thomas Hopko, Father John Romanides, Metropolitan Anthony (Bloom), Metropoltan Kallistos (Ware), Archimandrite Justin Popović, Father Alexander Men, Father Pavel Florensky, Metropolitan John (Zizioulas), Father Sergei Bulgakov, and Father Dumitru Stăniloae. This collection is as great a group of theologians as any--at any age or church. We are indeed blessed.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:25:05 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: