OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 01:25:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Confessors of Russia, Vol. 1  (Read 952 times) Average Rating: 0
AlyoshaGorshok

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: August 09, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »

I have been interested in buying this book for quite sometime, but I would like to know if any of you have read it and what your opinion is.

God bless,

Alyosha
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »

I am sure Father Vasiliy Vasiliyevich Smith knows a lot about this book. Look up the Onion Dome Web site.

Love never fails.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:23:34 PM »

^^ I am sorry for the sarcasm. It's not that I have something against these confessors, whoever they are, but I was stunned by the grotesque nickname of the poster. Please, I implore you, change it. Russian is my "second first language" (my "first first language" is Ukrainian as I was born and raised in Ukraine, back then a part of the Soviet Union), so believe me, I know what I'm talking about. It's like someone who would be interested in American culture and would choose the nickname like, "Lil' Johnny Pisshispantsson."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:24:18 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
AlyoshaG

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »

Heorhij,

I changed my username and took on a new one. I am sorry if I offended you by using that particular screen name. In fact, I had no idea that it could mean something so offensive.

The name comes from a short story by Leo Tolstoy called "Alyosha the Pot."

I'm sorry and, yes, I have read the Onion Dome many times.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »

^^No offense, A. Best wishes.

Love never fails.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 09:25:22 PM »

The name comes from a short story by Leo Tolstoy called "Alyosha the Pot."

I am sorry, I don't recall it. I absolutely admire Tolstoy as a novelist; "War and Peace" is my most beloved book ever, I re-read it every once in a while, something like once in three years or so, and I always find something new it it (although I don't think it is as good in translation, because it is written in Tolstoy's peculiar, "irregular" Russian that translations perhaps miss); and I also love "Anna Karenina," and less than that, but still OK, "Resurrection"; but the moralistic "short stories" of Tolstoy - no, not my cup of tea, dull, impotent...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:28:24 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:03:21 PM »

I've read the New Confessors of Russia and it is a good book. Definitely check it out. 
AlyoshaG

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 11:54:37 PM »

Thanks, Andrew. The books from St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood are usually good, but I wasn't sure about this one for reason or other.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: