OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 03:33:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ecumenism & Orthodoxy  (Read 6752 times) Average Rating: 0
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2003, 03:52:51 PM »

Dear  Serge and Linus:

I echo St. P's sentiments on your "fair and balanced" exposition of things Catholic.

It speaks well of your Orthodoxy! Cool

(BTW, according to the Vatican Information Service, Pope John Paul II has just appointed Bishop Thomas James Olmsted of Wichita, Kansas, U.S.A., as bishop of Phoenix, replacing the hit-and-run former Bishop.)

AmdG

Thanks, Amadeus.

Perhaps Serge and I could get our own show on The Fox News Channel.  Grin

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2003, 04:56:50 PM »

In regard to the person who asked the question about which jurisdiction to join, I have a reply:  as long as it is a canonical Orthodox Church, its OK.  I would stay away from noncanonical, schismatic "Orthodox" groups as they are usually quite sick spiritually.  But if you are living in the United States, any of the SCOBA jurisdictions and ROCOR are what I'd call "safe, normal, canonical Orthodox jurisdictions."  It seems to me that one of the temptations from an convert to Orthodoxy in American is trying to find the mythical "perfect jurisdiction."  Such a creature does not exist.  And bitterness and spiritual damage will only result from trying to hunt for this non-existent creature.  If it were me, I would attend the closest Orthodox Church to me that worships in my own language. For those in more isolated parts of the US, a bilingual parish might be the only thing that is reasonably close.  I think the MAIN thing is to realize that Orthodox is Orthodox, regardless of the jurisdiction.  I would avoid like the plague the horrible practice of comparing one jurisdiction to another. All jurisdictions do some things well.  All do some things poorly too.  I would focus on living the Christian life, whereever I found myself.  Be regular in attendance at liturgy, avail yourself of the Sacrament of Confession on a regular and consistent basis, keep a SHORT daily rule of prayer, practice moderate fasting under the direction of your parish priest, give up judging others, and try to be Christ-like to those around you, whereever you are.  Avoid jurisdictional politics, avoid "super correctness" in liturgical matters, and accept the different ethnic groups within Orthodoxy and don't complain when they aren't like you.  Smiley  
Tikhon
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2003, 06:30:14 PM »

Fox News?  But Al Frankin says they are Biased!! ROTFL Grin

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2003, 06:19:13 AM »

Granting divorce is a pastoral issue. It is not granted willy nilly, but only when it is recognised that remaining in a bad marriage would actually be spiritually harmful, potentially leading to a person's loss of salvation. It requires careful discernment on the part of the bishop to determine whether or not a person is capable at this point in their life, of working out their salvation under potentially very difficult circumstances.

John.
Saint Polycarp

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2003, 09:44:27 PM »

Granting divorce is a pastoral issue. It is not granted willy nilly, but only when it is recognised that remaining in a bad marriage would actually be spiritually harmful, potentially leading to a person's loss of salvation. It requires careful discernment on the part of the bishop to determine whether or not a person is capable at this point in their life, of working out their salvation under potentially very difficult circumstances.

John.

Ok but the next question has to be was this always the teaching of The Church or did it change? If it changed when and why?
Peace,
Polycarp

Peace
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2003, 12:39:38 AM »

Ok but the next question has to be was this always the teaching of The Church or did it change? If it changed when and why?

The difference between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox marriage disciplines dates back to before the split and wasn't a cause of it. And the Byzantine Catholics - I'm thinking specifically of the Melkites - kept the Orthodox discipline (in the Melkites' Middle Eastern homelands) into the 20th century.

Looks like a nonissue.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: