Author Topic: Does God "forget" about people?  (Read 69 times)

Offline Skydive

• High Elder
Does God "forget" about people?
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:48:45 PM »
What does it mean when the Scriptures speak about God r"emembering" about people after a certain amount of time?
"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll

Offline Porter ODoran

• "In this lies piety: not doubting the God-bearing fathers."
  • Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
Re: Does God "forget" about people?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 09:00:37 PM »
The Hebrew scriptures are full of depictions of God as pathetic -- "remembering" is the mildest example. However, since we know that God in eternity is apathetic, surely we must interpret such depictions with that in mind. One thing I can say is that the Hebrew literary forms were wonderfully vivid and imagistic. Since we also know that God is he who alone loves mankind, I personally think it's safe to say that this depiction of himself in the Holy Prophets was in keeping with what he knows about the human being as a wholeness (something with which we moderns seem so inept today).
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus