OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:31:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C. S. Lewis anniversary  (Read 1328 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« on: November 22, 2003, 04:21:51 PM »

On this day, 40 years ago, Clive Staples Lewis died.  Christian, Scholar, friend of J. R. R. Tolkien and author of many books including "Til We Have Faces", "Mere Christianity" the "Narnia" series, the "Space Trilogy" "The Great Divorce" "The Four Loves" and "The Abolition of Man"

Lux Aeturna

Ebor
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 04:24:00 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 01:01:50 AM »

God have mercy on the soul of His servant, who has fallen asleep.

Also, JFK and Aldous Huxley died on Nov. 22, 1963.  Peter Kreeft wrote an interesting book on this called Between Heaven and Hell.

Ebor, what are your favorite Lewis books?  For me it has to be Mere Christianity(paved the way to faith in Christ from agnosticism for me), The Screwtape Letters(read it every lent), and especially Till We Have Faces(so many layers of meaning).

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
moronikos

Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 01:18:34 AM »

My fav is The Great Divorce.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 11:13:27 PM »

I've read Kreeft's book and (I think) have it somewhere still.

I enjoy both Lewis' fiction and non-fiction.  "Pilgrim's Regress" is one that I've found good.  It's an allegory.  "Screwtape" of course. and I reread it every year or so. Frankly, I think that much of what he says in that one is spot on... The desire to be a member of an "inner ring" or clique of people that makes one feel special for example.  You may recall the letter in which Screwtape is advising Wormwood to get the patient to not stay with his parish since bits of it irritate him, but to "shop" as it were.   Sounds familiar maybe from some threads earlier... "The Great Divorce" draws so many different ways of denying God so well.  (Spong fits the role of the "Ghost in gaiters" quite well, imho.)  "Til We Have Faces" is brilliant.

"Mere Christianity" is a fine book.  "The Abolition of Man" is also good for going over some basic concepts including the commonality of certain basic moral teachings.  For sheer wrenching writing at times, there's "A Grief Observed" written after the death of his wife.  

For the children, of course, there's Narnia.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 11:35:45 PM »

I love how in The Great Divorce the grass hurts the feet of the souls visiting heaven, as it is too real for them to bear in their current state.  I need to reread that, it's been at least 6-7 years.  Loaned my copy to a friend three years ago who promptly lost it.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 05:55:32 PM »

"The Great Divorce" also has a good telling of how what people call "love" sometimes isn't that at all, but wanting to posess and controll another.

On a further note,  today would have been C. S. Lewis' 105th birthday.  Born in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 06:32:53 PM »

I always loved the Narnia series - something about Aslan touched me even before I "found" Christ.  I wonder what Lewis would think of the LOTR movies made from his dear friends writings . . . . would he be impressed or discouraged?

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 05:44:32 PM »

Fifty years ago from Friday, 22 November, 2013, C. S. Lewis, JFK, and Aldous Huxley died. On a positive note, the Beatles released in Britain their second album.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:46:11 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 06:13:11 PM »

Fifty years ago from Friday, 22 November, 2013, C. S. Lewis, JFK, and Aldous Huxley died. On a positive note, the Beatles released in Britain their second album.
On another positive note: The BBC broadcast the first ever episode of Doctor Who, "An Unearthly Child", the next day.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: