Author Topic: Scientist confirms inexplicable nature of Our Lady of Guadalupe image  (Read 73968 times)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Scientist confirms inexplicable nature of Our Lady of Guadalupe image
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2015, 09:30:28 PM »
I've been under the impression that Christianity has always allowed cultures to retain traditions that are no against the Gospel.  Was not Athanasius of Alexandria one of the first to truly use Hellenistic philosophy and rhetoric in his writings to DEFEND the faith?  Just because something isn't born out of the Church doesn't mean it diminishes the Church.  In fact, it often can enhance it.  Obviously as a Catholic I think the imagine is born out of the Church, but I understand why Orthodox Christians would be guarded against such an imagine being used for worship and prayer.  The real question that needs to be asked is "Does this image detract or enhance the Gospel?"  If I were looking at this form an Orthodox perspective I think it has more potential to enhance the Gospel as long it is the image alone and not the apparition.  In other words, the cultural aspect of the image would be useful but not the spiritual aspect of the image.  

Having said that, I am a Catholic and I cherish and adore both the Image and the message.  

True iconography is, at its core and essence, about the spiritual. Cultural considerations must always be secondary.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:30:51 PM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Irish45

Re: Scientist confirms inexplicable nature of Our Lady of Guadalupe image
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2015, 03:06:24 PM »
I suppose this is where my ignorance comes into play because I do not view this as an Icon.  I can see Orthodox Christians having more issues with the image if it is regarded as an Icon. 

I've been under the impression that Christianity has always allowed cultures to retain traditions that are no against the Gospel.  Was not Athanasius of Alexandria one of the first to truly use Hellenistic philosophy and rhetoric in his writings to DEFEND the faith?  Just because something isn't born out of the Church doesn't mean it diminishes the Church.  In fact, it often can enhance it.  Obviously as a Catholic I think the imagine is born out of the Church, but I understand why Orthodox Christians would be guarded against such an imagine being used for worship and prayer.  The real question that needs to be asked is "Does this image detract or enhance the Gospel?"  If I were looking at this form an Orthodox perspective I think it has more potential to enhance the Gospel as long it is the image alone and not the apparition.  In other words, the cultural aspect of the image would be useful but not the spiritual aspect of the image.  

Having said that, I am a Catholic and I cherish and adore both the Image and the message.  

True iconography is, at its core and essence, about the spiritual. Cultural considerations must always be secondary.