OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:26:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Corner  (Read 1775 times) Average Rating: 0
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: August 06, 2009, 02:01:30 PM »

Hi all! 

Any suggestions on how to set up and what to get for a prayer corner?  Please add your thoughts!!

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »

Here is an excellent article that I have in my personal file:

The Orthopraxis of Setting up an Icon Corner
By Sub-deacon James R. Davis

The Altar is to a church what an Icon Corner is to a home. The home is our domestic Church. The
father is the head (king) of that church, with his wife - the queen (as they were crowned in the Holy
Matrimony), and their children as their congregation. The parents have an important role to play in
leading their church. Their responsibility is to bring themselves and their children closer to God. They
are able to accomplish this by learning more about Him and living life as He would choose. It is also
their job to bless their children. They are to encourage their children to pray, fast, read about God
and the history of His people.

The children have also an important role in the domestic church. They should learn all the lessons that their parents teach them. They
can read the Sacred Scripture passages, light the candles, prepare and participate in the family prayer time.

The domestic church is the basic building block of the larger Church. It is the desire of the larger Church to strengthen the domestic
church because this is its foundation. The icon corner is a reminder of who we are and serves to provide us with a place to pray.
We are children of God. Just as we have photo albums full of pictures of family members, we should also have pictures of our God and the saints to remind us who we are and who we are to become. The icon corner also provides a place where the family can come together to pray. The family that prays together, stays together.

Each icon corner will be set up to reflect the family and their needs. An icon corner can be made up of a single icon or it could include any number of other items: additional icons, a cross, a Bible, a candle or lamp, Holy Water, Holy Oil, ruchnyk, parents’ wedding crowns (symbol of marriage commitment), prayer book, incense, prayer beads, etc.

Traditionally, the icon corner is placed in a corner, hence the name. Some like to have it placed on the East wall, for the same reasons our Churches usually face East, anticipating the second coming of Christ. The best room for the icon corner will depend on the family. You may want it in the kitchen, where the family gathers to eat. It may be in the living room or family room, where the family enjoys
each other’s company. The icon corner should be part of a family area.

As with every new form of prayer, we need guidance to get started. To begin, simply gather at the icon corner to say the usual morning and evening prayers. As you become accustomed to praying in this location, the prayers will develop into something that will uniquely suit the family. Scripture readings, petitions, thanksgiving, hymns, traditional and spontaneous prayers could all be included.
A beautiful way to start a new day, is to have a house devoted to Christ. Having just established an icon corner in the home, invite the parish priest to bless not only your home but also to bless the family Icon Corner. He may also have some additional prayer suggestions.
Every icon corner will be different in the kinds and number of icons present. It would be appropriate to have an icon of Jesus Christ or of the Mother of God, or both. Patron saints of each member of the family may be added. Icons of special feast days or any other icon that has significance to the family may be added.

We do not pray to or honour the icon itself. We look through the icon, like looking through a window. We pray to the person that is represented. Icons are not life like. They do not show the present reality of humanity, rather, they depict the reality of the person having been changed by sharing in God’s divine nature.

The shelf has a practical purpose. It is where we place the other items. It is the altar of our domestic church.

The cross is the symbol of the Resurrection of Christ. It is the sign of the victory over sin and death.

Bible is the Word of God. It should be left open on the shelf to let the Word of God pour out. It is important not just to leave the Bible in the corner. We should take it and read it . This is our opportunity to get to know our God better.

The candle shows us that God is the light of the world. The candle can be lit all the time or just during the time of prayer.

Holy Water is the water that was blessed at the Feast of Jordan (the Holy Theophany of Our Lord). The water can be drunk or sprinkled during time of illness or whenever blessings are needed.

The Holy Oil may also be used for an anointing during time of illness or when blessings are needed.

There is usually a ruchnyk (an embroided cloth) draped over the icon or cross. This is to show the honour and respect that we place on the icon. This could be the ruchnyk that was used for the parents’ wedding. The ruchnyk should be taken off during the Great and Holy Fast.

The crowns are a symbol of the consecration of the parents at their wedding. We use the crowns that were woven from myrtle as part of the wedding preparation. If there are no wedding crowns, include some other symbol of the wedding.

There could also be prayer books that the family uses during their prayer times.

Just as we use incense in church, we could also have incense present in the domestic church. We ask that our prayers rise like incense to our God.

A set of chotky (Jesus Prayer beads) may also be place on the shelf.

Article is courtesy of Holy Trinity Orthodox Mission 725 Ninth Avenue Southwest Moosejaw Canada website:
www.holytrinity.orthodoxmission.org .

I hope that this helps.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 03:10:57 PM »

In my "Prayer corner" I simply have a Crucifix, a plain cross, a cross of olive wood from Jerusalem, an Icon of the Mother of God and incense and 2 candles.

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 03:16:59 PM »

This is what mine used to look like before we moved.  I have yet to complete the "new" one @ our new house

This is what my prayer corner @ work looks like, although now there's a small icon of St. Alexis of Wilkes-Barre there, as well

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:18:20 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »

what a beautiful icon corner Schultz. Smiley

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 03:29:34 PM »

Thank you.  The makeshift one I have @ the moment is not as lovely.  It's functional, but not as well put together for my sense of order.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 10:12:15 PM »

Thank you.  The makeshift one I have @ the moment is not as lovely.  It's functional, but not as well put together for my sense of order.

Grin

Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 07:45:54 AM »

Thanks Thomas and Shultz, your information was very helpful!  Shultz, your prayer corners are a beautiful showing of your love and dedication to God and the Theotokos (and all the Saints).  Where is the best place to purchase items such as icons, candles, incense, etc.? 

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 09:54:34 AM »

I got mine all over the place, from varied sources such as eBay, Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, MA, and my local church.  The one I have of St. Joseph the Betrothed (w/ doves NOT the Christ Child, LBK Wink ) was my first (and to date only) commissioned icon that was painted in Greece and ordered the Icon and Book Service in Washington, DC.

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 11:54:55 AM »

I got mine all over the place, from varied sources such as eBay, Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, MA, and my local church.  The one I have of St. Joseph the Betrothed (w/ doves NOT the Christ Child, LBK Wink ) was my first (and to date only) commissioned icon that was painted in Greece and ordered the Icon and Book Service in Washington, DC.

Shouldn't you be using beeswax candles for vigil?

By the way, where did you get that beautiful icons with the candle-holders?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:55:38 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 12:44:23 PM »

I just noticed in another thread that you made them yourself.  Any chance in commissioning you to make two more?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »

@Schultz: Who is the Saint under the Icon of Theothokos (by St. Seraphim's)?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 02:42:55 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »

That's St. Therese of Lisieux, a Catholic saint of the last century. 

Speaking of which, as I make the switch to Orthodoxy, I probably won't be hanging this up in my icon corner anytime soon, so the first poster here who wants it, PM me and it's yours. Smiley

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 03:37:49 PM »

Shouldn't you be using beeswax candles for vigil?

By the way, where did you get that beautiful icons with the candle-holders?

Pure beeswax candle are good to use. The traditional thing however is to use an oil lamp to burn in front of icons.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »

It's very hard to make out, but there's an oil lamp smack dab in the center of the shelving unit, right in front of the central icon of the Theotokos. 

As for the vigil lamps, I have an overabundance of tea lights thanks to a wife and a mother-in-law who cannot help themselves from buying us another bag of 100 ("They were on sale!") even though I have at least ten bags at home. Smiley

Tags: icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: