OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 12:24:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prima/Sola  (Read 3904 times) Average Rating: 0
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 10:06:19 PM »

Dear GammaRay,

I wasn't trying to argue whether any of your traditions were unscriptural or not. I was only trying to offer some clarity and explanation on the meaning behind "Sola Scriptura", and maybe bridge the understanding gap a bit (for all parties). Also, to get some feedback on How the Orthodox would look at the issue when seen in that vein instead of the typical technical response.

You are forgetting that a good number of us already know what Sola Scriptura is. We know because alot of us on this board are former protestants of various stripes. So there is really no need to speak to us as if we don't know........alot of us already know.

Also "sola scriptura" says way more and goes way beyond "prima". Prima allows for other sources in deciding doctrine, Sola doesn't. In Sola.....in all it's forms.....an individual is allowed to reject all other sources.....so in essence and when push comes to shove, sola scriptura can easily turn into solo scriptura. Which is what it is in mainstream evangelical America.

Jnorm888
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:11:11 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2009, 12:33:55 AM »

You are forgetting that a good number of us already know what Sola Scriptura is. We know because alot of us on this board are former protestants of various stripes.

Actually, I've noticed that almost everyone on this board is a convert from Protestantism.  Perhaps it's telling that the cradle, pure-blooded Orthodox Christians don't generally care to ramble on and on about all of these things.  Or maybe it's telling in another way, meaning that they just don't give too much thought to any of this at all...
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2009, 02:00:19 AM »

The bottom line is this: in practical terms the doctrine of "Sola Scriptura" really means "Sola Individuala." (OK, I think I just coined a new theological term Wink) In other words, the individual is the ultimate interpreter the Bible; and this isobviously fraught with problems.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: