Author Topic: Preterism  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Justin

• Pray for me, a sinner.
Preterism
« on: October 15, 2003, 12:45:58 PM »
Can anybody tell me about the Orthodox view of the events foretold in Matthew 24?  My WR instructor says that all of that already happened in 70 ad with the Romans destroying the temple.  I must admit, that his partial preterism makes sense, I just cannot find anyother way to read Matthew 24 without having the Romans destroying the temple.  Also, he informs me that the reference in 1 John 2:18 to the antichrist is to Nero.  And finally Nero's name in Hebrew number code (which I am led to believe was quite common) is sixhundred threescore and six.  Please explain the Orthodox view on this, so I don't fall into heresy.  Thanks.
-Justin

Offline Linus7

• Archon
Re:Preterism
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 11:10:30 PM »
I believe the Orthodox view is that much of Matthew 24 and of Revelation were fulfilled in the first century with the destruction of Jerusalem.

That does not mean we do not look forward to the glorious appearing of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ at the end of time.

We do.

I can recommend two books to you.

A Second Look at the Second Coming, by T. L. Frazier; and

The Apocalypse in the Teachings of Ancient Christianity, by Archbishop Averky Taushev (translated from the Russian by Fr. Seraphim Rose).

The Beast of Revelation is never called the Antichrist. He probably was Nero, whose name - Neron Caesar - in Hebrew does work out to 666. As I understand it, this is confirmed by the fact that some manuscripts give the number of the Beast as "616," which is what one arrives at when he leaves the second "n" off of Neron.

It is likely that Nero was a type of the Antichrist, who is still to come, and who will persecute the Church just prior to our Lord's Second Coming.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 11:11:40 PM by Linus7 »
The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas

Offline Doubting Thomas

• High Elder
  • Anglican (but not Episcopagan)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 02:03:37 PM »
I believe the Orthodox view is that much of Matthew 24 and of Revelation were fulfilled in the first century with the destruction of Jerusalem.

That does not mean we do not look forward to the glorious appearing of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ at the end of time.

We do.

Yeah, it seems that partial preterism is probably consistent with Matt 24, Revelation, and the teaching of the Church (at least what I know about it).  Full or Hyper preterism is not.

It is likely that Nero was a type of the Antichrist, who is still to come, and who will persecute the Church just prior to our Lord's Second Coming.

That sounds reasonable.  Another type in the OT would be Antiochus Epiphanes (sp?) who desecrated the Jewish temple in way perhaps similar to the future "abomination of desolation".  It seems that many OT (and NT, it appears) prophecies had a "double fulfilment"--one nearer in time to the prophet, and one further off.
"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33

Offline Linus7

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 12:04:23 AM »

We do.

Yeah, it seems that partial preterism is probably consistent with Matt 24, Revelation, and the teaching of the Church (at least what I know about it).  Full or Hyper preterism is not.

That sounds reasonable.  Another type in the OT would be Antiochus Epiphanes (sp?) who desecrated the Jewish temple in way perhaps similar to the future "abomination of desolation".  It seems that many OT (and NT, it appears) prophecies had a "double fulfilment"--one nearer in time to the prophet, and one further off.

I agree. I have heard there is a kind of whacky Preterism that teaches that the Second Coming has already occurred.

Can't go for that and recite the Nicene Creed every Sunday!

I'll stick with the Creed!

He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead . . .
The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas

Offline Justin

• Pray for me, a sinner.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 09:44:58 PM »
Thank you very much.  The responses helped a lot, and I'm glad to finally have a general Orthodox perspective on Matthew 24.

Offline Br. Max, OFC

• Target of choice
  • OC.net guru
  • ECCE HOMO
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 08:13:53 PM »
linus: what of the hidden coming?  Christ in the hearts of believers.  :) So  . . . in a way . . . But I know - the second coming is in reference to the coming again of Christ in HUMAN flesh :)
"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media