OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 07:00:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad joke  (Read 33898 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2011, 08:13:38 PM »

When God created the dog, He said: "Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of twenty years."

The dog said: "That's a long time to be barking. How about only ten years and I'll give you back the other ten?"

So God agreed.

Next, God created the monkey and said: "Entertain people, do tricks, and make them laugh. For this, I'll give you a twenty-year life span."

The monkey said: "Monkey tricks for twenty years? That's a pretty long time to perform. How about I give you back ten like the Dog did?"

And God agreed.

God then created the cow and said: "You must go into the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer's family. For this, I will give you a life span of sixty years."

The cow said: "That's kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. How about twenty and I'll give back the other forty?"

And God agreed again.

Finally, God created man and said: "Eat, sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. For this, I'll give you twenty years." But man said: "Only twenty years? Could you possibly give me my twenty, the forty the cow gave back, the ten the monkey gave back, and the ten the dog gave back; that makes eighty, okay?"

"Okay," said God, "You asked for it."

So that is why the first twenty years we eat, sleep, play and enjoy ourselves. For the next forty years we slave in the sun to support our family. For the next ten years we do monkey tricks to entertain the grand-children. And for the last ten years we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.

Life has now been explained to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second Chance updating for Maria (hat's tip):

Source is Orthodixie. Again, I checked and could not find the exact link.
It was originally sent to me by email with a link that is no longer valid.
I am checking google but have not found it yet.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:04:34 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »

Man claims that he can create life

There was an arrogant Scientist who claimed he could create life like God does!

So God appeared to him and told him
-I heard you claimed you are like me and you can create life.

Scientist - Well, yes

God - Ok let's have a contest.

So God takes some dirt from the ground, makes a human form and blows on it the Holly Spirit and here we have a man!

Then the Scientist says:
-I can to the same! and he takes some dirt.

God then tells him:
-Hey what are you doing there? Create your own dirt!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:16:16 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »

Moses and the Red Sea

Nine year old Joey was asked by his mother what he had learned in Sunday school.

"Well, Mom, our teacher told us how God sent Moses behind enemy lines on a rescue mission to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. When he got to the Red Sea, he had his engineers build a pontoon bridge and all the people walked across safely. Then, he used his walkie-talkie to radio headquarters for reinforcements. They sent bombers to blow up the bridge and all the Israelites were saved."

"Now, Joey, is that really what your teacher taught you?" his mother asked.

"Well, no, Mom. But, if I told it the way the teacher did, you'd never believe it!"

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2011, 08:21:58 PM »

Hellish Insects

True story

A new Orthodox mission was praying Small Compline every Wednesday and Saturday night. One member had printed out copies that had the different parts colored differently. He had missed one typo but the placement of that typo almost spelled disaster for the service.

"He had delivered us from the moth of Hades and bestowed great mercy upon the world."

The member's 13 year old son was there and found that typo amusing. His amusement was pretty contagious and afterwards there was quite a bit of talk about moths of Hades and casting a movie about it, etc. Even now with the typo fixed, some of us can't suppress a grin when we come to that part.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:22:45 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »

Heavenly timing - Another true story

We had a service in our little Chapel and Father was talking about the Holy Spirit descending... and down from the ceiling comes this massive flying bug.

Needless to say, he had to take a little break before going on at that point... and everyone else had to try really hard not to laugh.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:31:28 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2011, 08:30:19 PM »

A True Story from Finland:

Once a bishop was serving a liturgy. When coming out of the altar, he stumbled over his vestments and rolled down the stairs, with his mitre rolling merrily away to the feet of the people. When he rose to his feet, his staff caught a lady's skirt and lifted it.

At this point the clergy on the altar burst into laughter.

The bishop muttered angrily to them, "We will talk about this later." However, during the meal after the Divine Liturgy. His Grace just remarked,  "After all, it went well, even with my little stumble."

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »

From Fr Joseph's blog:

YOU KNOW YOU'RE SOUTHERN ORTHODOX WHEN:

10) At Pentecost, your church is decorated with Kudzu.

9) You spell "feast" with only three letters: B B Q.

8. You say "Father," "Barsonuphios," and "Monastery" without any pronouncing an "r."

7) You drive 3 hours to an Orthodox Church. But, could hop ... on one foot ... with your eyes closed ... (and a rock in your shoe) ... to the nearest Baptist Church.

6) All your services are all in English -- at least that's what YOU call it.

5) There's women in your church known as: Photini Beth, Thecla Beth, and Elizabeth Beth.

4) There's men going by: Athanasius Lee, Euphrosynos Lee, and Vasiliy Lee.

3) You got white folks, black folks, even Democrats in your parish, but no Russians, Serbians, Arabs or Greeks.

2) You know someone who knows someone who knows someone with a velvet picture of Elvis celebrating the Last Supper.

AND ... the number one sign that you are an Orthodox Southerner:

1) You think grits are too good to be considered fasting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second Chance updating for Maria (hat's tip):

Source: http://southern-orthodoxy.blogspot.com/2008/06/bless-your-heart-smallah-smallah.html

It appears that Father Joseph is retelling a joke that has been on the Internet for quite some time.

http://www.google.com/#q=%22Life+has+now+been+explained+to+you.%22&hl=en&prmd=imvns&ei=0QyCTuHmMMbliAKmn-SPDQ&start=20&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=e40baf610d5a3809&biw=1146&bih=720

So, I do not know if he originated that one or who is the source.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:03:28 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »

So there is this atheist strolling through the woods on a nature walk and after a while he comes across this big grizzly bear.  The man takes off running and the bear goes after him.  He looks behind him and the bear is gaining on him, when he trips over a log and falls flat on his face.  He turns over and the bear is looming above him ready to rip him to shreds.  The atheist calls out "Oh dear God!" and all of a sudden time stops.  Its quiet and the bear is frozen in mid swipe.

A voice comes from the Heavens saying, "All your life you have spoken against Me, saying I do not exist, leading My people astray.  Now here, in your hour of peril you call upon My name."

The atheist says, "God, I realize that my request was hypocritical, so rather than ask you to spare me through a miracle, I ask only this this bear here acts with Christian charity."

Instantly time begins again.  The forest comes to life again and the bear lowers its paw and looks down at the atheist.  The bear gets a pleasant and thoughtful look on it's face and puts it's paws together in prayer, "Oh Lord, I thank thee for this bountiful blessing you have given unto me..."

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Fabio Leite
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2011, 07:31:59 AM »

There two cranky old men who were neighbors, one was a Christian and the other an atheist. They used to argue and pest each other every day over religion.

One day, the Christian old man woke up and when he went to his door to get the newspaper he found a basket filled with breakfast items of best quality. He thanked God for the gift with a prayer and then the atheist jumped out of a bush and shouted:

"You stupid old man, thanking God for that as He would materialize it on your porch. I put it there to prove to you that there are no miracles! What do you say now that you know that what you think comes from God are just natural causes?"

The Christian old man just continued:

"Thank you God for your gifts, and congratulations for making your silly enemies pay for them!"

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2011, 12:05:33 PM »

From Fr Joseph's blog:

8. You say "Father," "Barsonuphios," and "Monastery" without any pronouncing an "r."

7) You drive 3 hours to an Orthodox Church. But, could hop ... on one foot ... with your eyes closed ... (and a rock in your shoe) ... to the nearest Baptist Church.

5) There's women in your church known as: Photini Beth, Thecla Beth, and Elizabeth Beth.

3) You got white folks, black folks, even Democrats in your parish, but no Russians, Serbians, Arabs or Greeks.

2) You know someone who knows someone who knows someone with a velvet picture of Elvis celebrating the Last Supper.

Maria--Would you please give me the link to Fr. Joseph's blog so that I can add it to your original post? Also, would you the same for each post that has a source? I was thinking that there are  number of other jokes that should be properly sourced, with an Internet link: for example, Which Is The Tradition, From Orthodoxie Blog, etc... Thanks. Second Chance
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:09:11 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #190 on: September 27, 2011, 01:00:50 PM »

From Fr Joseph's blog:

Maria--Would you please give me the link to Fr. Joseph's blog so that I can add it to your original post? Also, would you the same for each post that has a source? I was thinking that there are  number of other jokes that should be properly sourced, with an Internet link: for example, Which Is The Tradition, From Orthodoxie Blog, etc... Thanks. Second Chance

Fr. Joseph's blog is Orthodixie. He is Antiochian.

Here is the Orthodixie blog: http://southern-orthodoxy.blogspot.com/

When I clicked the link that I originally had, I got the homepage. Unfortunately, there is no search function at that forum.
If you wish to delete the jokes from Orthodixie, please feel free to do so as I just noticed that he has a copyright.

Some of the other sources for my jokes are not on the internet anymore while others were submitted from other posters who are from another forum. Do you want the link to that competitive forum? Smiley
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:14:13 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #191 on: September 27, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »

Here are the thousands of sources for the joke about the dog.

Life Has Now Been Explained to You

http://www.google.com/#q=%22Life+has+now+been+explained+to+you.%22&hl=en&prmd=imvns&ei=0QyCTuHmMMbliAKmn-SPDQ&start=20&sa=N&fp=1&biw=1146&bih=720&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&cad=b

Here is the source for the Orthodixie Joke discussing quirks of Orthodox Christians

http://southern-orthodoxy.blogspot.com/2008/06/bless-your-heart-smallah-smallah.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:55:22 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »

I did a google search for Here is the Tradition.

Apparently, there is no listed source, as the blog below copied this joke and many others without listing any sources:

http://3saints.com/humor.html

It sounds like an Onion Dome joke.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:01:28 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »

Apparently, there is no listed source, as the blog below copied this joke and many others without listing any sources:

At this point I would like to publicly thank Maria for the great job she did in sourcing her posts. Maria--you make our job as moderators a pleasure. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2011, 06:08:54 PM »

At this point I would like to publicly thank Maria for the great job she did in sourcing her posts. Maria--you make our job as moderators a pleasure. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Second Chance

Thank you. :blushes:

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #195 on: October 20, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »

This just came in.

I was not sure whether to post it as its own thread or post it here.

But it certainly proves that something can get lost in translation:

Customer Tom Boddingham received this size 1,450 monster foot after a ‘clerical error’.

The 27-year-old, whose left foot is slightly longer than his right, placed a £15.50 order with Monster Slippers for a novelty pair of claws.

But, instead of a size 14.5 left slipper, he received one that was 210cm (7ft) long.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/stories/879119-translation-error-lands-man-with-7ft-monster-slipper#ixzz1bMXZDwpt

The link shows a picture of the slipper.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:12:19 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #196 on: October 20, 2011, 06:12:57 PM »

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #197 on: October 20, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »

Anything from this movie never gets old. It has to be the funniest movie ever!  Grin

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #198 on: October 20, 2011, 11:36:39 PM »

Spinal Tap is one of the best movies ever. You can't watch it if you don't know much about rock and roll, front stage and back stage, too many subtleties.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »

Anything from this movie never gets old. It has to be the funniest movie ever!  Grin

Selam

What is the title of this movie?
I have not been to a show since 2008.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2011, 01:09:24 AM »

Anything from this movie never gets old. It has to be the funniest movie ever!  Grin

Selam

I think it's This is Spinal Tap.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:09:32 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2011, 01:39:41 AM »

This just came in.

Customer Tom Boddingham received this size 1,450 monster foot after a ‘clerical error’.

The 27-year-old, whose left foot is slightly longer than his right, placed a £15.50 order with Monster Slippers for a novelty pair of claws.

But, instead of a size 14.5 left slipper, he received one that was 210cm (7ft) long.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/stories/879119-translation-error-lands-man-with-7ft-monster-slipper#ixzz1bMXZDwpt

Yay! Bigfoot!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2011, 02:40:30 AM »

This just came in.

Yay! Bigfoot!

laugh

When I was a grad student, one of my linguistics professors used to prepare handouts for his semantics/pragmatics students of the mistranslations that he had found.  Some of the ones from China were hilarious although there were some road signs here in the USA that surely must have raised some eyebrows. I will see if I have saved one of his handouts.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:41:26 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #203 on: October 21, 2011, 03:04:31 AM »

Anything from this movie never gets old. It has to be the funniest movie ever!  Grin

Selam

I think it's This is Spinal Tap.

Yes, a classic comedy from the king of comedic directors, Rob Reiner. But this is definitely a generational movie. If you were born after 1980 then I doubt if you'll really appreciate it.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2011, 04:16:47 AM »

What did the prism say to the ray of light?

Get bent.  police

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #205 on: October 21, 2011, 05:38:26 AM »

Yes, a classic comedy from the king of comedic directors, Rob Reiner. But this is definitely a generational movie. If you were born after 1980 1970 then I doubt if you'll really appreciate it.

Fixed it for ya.  laugh laugh
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2011, 06:16:26 AM »

Yes, a classic comedy from the king of comedic directors, Rob Reiner. But this is definitely a generational movie. If you were born after 1980 1970 then I doubt if you'll really appreciate it.

Yeah, you're right. I was trying to give them younguns the benefit of the doubt.  Wink

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
jayjay

« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2011, 09:08:09 AM »

Poster seen in downtown Dallas "What would you do if Jesus came to Dallas?"

Someone wrote underneath " Make him the Quarterback".

Expect the best, Prepare for the worst!
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2011, 10:32:39 AM »

Yeah, you're right. I was trying to give them younguns the benefit of the doubt.  Wink

Selam

I was born in '86 and I fully appreciate the movie, but my wife who was born in '88 can not stand it

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #209 on: November 08, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »

My latest band project is going to cover Gimme Some Money.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #210 on: November 18, 2011, 12:37:19 AM »

True story here:

The local San Diego ABC station had this on the news tonight:

A cat was being disturbed by phone calls during the day when his servant-owners were away working. Like all cats, he sleeps during the day, of course, and plays at night.

So, he learned how to knock the phone off the hook, say "Hello" in cat talk (pretty good imitation), and resume his nap.

It was all caught on a home video.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2011, 01:10:46 AM »

20 years ago, we were graced by the presence of Johnny Cash, Bob Hope, and Steve Jobs. Now, we have no Cash, we have no Hope, and we have no Jobs.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2011, 01:24:33 AM »

20 years ago, we were graced by the presence of Johnny Cash, Bob Hope, and Steve Jobs. Now, we have no Cash, we have no Hope, and we have no Jobs.
ROFL

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2011, 02:49:22 PM »

That is a good one.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #214 on: November 19, 2011, 12:12:09 AM »

There was once a Sunday class learning about the book of Numbers, how the children of Israel had a census taken twice, how the children of Israel organized the camp, the miracles that the children of Israel saw, the sacrifices that the children of Israel made.  Finally the teacher saw a hand raised and asked, "Yes, you have a question?"  The student replied, "Yeah, how come the children of Israel are doing all the work, and the parents do not do anything?"  angel
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

The Pointless One !

« Reply #215 on: November 19, 2011, 01:02:59 AM »

This just came in.

Yay! Bigfoot!

laugh

When I was a grad student, one of my linguistics professors used to prepare handouts for his semantics/pragmatics students of the mistranslations that he had found.  Some of the ones from China were hilarious although there were some road signs here in the USA that surely must have raised some eyebrows. I will see if I have saved one of his handouts.

www.engrish.com

Was NSFW (or those easily offended) awhile back, so beware.  But can be VERY funny.

Also, It's pretty sad that I can recognize Spinal Tap with one still, viewed for only 237 nanoseconds ...
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #216 on: November 19, 2011, 01:42:20 AM »

This just came in.

Yay! Bigfoot!

laugh

www.engrish.com

Was NSFW (or those easily offended) awhile back, so beware.  But can be VERY funny.

Also, It's pretty sad that I can recognize Spinal Tap with one still, viewed for only 237 nanoseconds ...

Okay, here is a handout that various English professors gave us. Unknown origin.

Did I read that sign right?

In an office:
TOILET OUT OF ORDER...... PLEASE USE FLOOR BELOW

In a Laundromat:
AUTOMATIC WASHING MACHINES:
PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES WHEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT

In a London department store:
BARGAIN BASEMENT UPSTAIRS

In an office:
WOULD THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE STEP LADDER YESTERDAY
PLEASE BRING IT BACK OR FURTHER STEPS WILL BE TAKEN

In an office:
AFTER TEA BREAK STAFF SHOULD EMPTY THE TEAPOT
AND STAND UPSIDE DOWN ON THE DRAINING BOARD

Outside a second-hand shop:
WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC.!
WHY NOT BRING YOUR SPOUSE ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN?

Notice in health food shop window:
CLOSED DUE TO ILLNESS

Spotted in a safari park:
ELEPHANTS PLEASE STAY IN YOUR CAR

Seen during a conference:
FOR ANYONE WHO HAS CHILDREN AND DOESN'T KNOW IT,
THERE IS A DAY CARE ON THE 1ST FLOOR

Notice in a farmer's field:
THE FARMER ALLOWS WALKERS TO CROSS THE FIELD
FOR FREE, BUT THE BULL CHARGES.

On a repair shop door:
WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING.
(PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL DOESN'T WORK)

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #217 on: November 19, 2011, 01:50:27 AM »

Here is another handout:

English Language

No wonder the English language is so very difficult to learn.

Can you read these right the first time?

1.The bandage was wound around the wound.
2.The farm was used to produce produce.
3.The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4.We must polish the Polish furniture.
5.He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6.The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7.Since there is no time like the present,
he thought it was time to present the present .
8.A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9.When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10.I did not object to the object.
11.The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12.There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13.They were too close to the door to close it.
14.The buck does funny things when does are present.
15.A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16.To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17.The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18.Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
19.After a number of Novocain injections, my jaw got number.
20.I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21.I spent last evening evening out a pile of dirt.
22.How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #218 on: November 19, 2011, 01:54:46 AM »

Here is yet another English handout. (again, there was no credit given and several professors passed these out).

Let's face it - English is a crazy language.

There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat (brains). We take English for granted, but if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, two geese. So one moose, two meese? One index, two indices? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

PS. - Why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick"

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:55:02 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #219 on: November 19, 2011, 01:58:49 AM »

The final handout:

You lovers of the English language might enjoy this:

There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is "UP."

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report?

We call UP our friends. And we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car. At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses. To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP. We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.

We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP! To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions. If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more. When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP .

When it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP.

When it doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP.

One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now my time is UP, so........... it is time to shut UP.....!

Oh . . one more thing:

What is the first thing you do in the morning & the last thing you do at night?  U-P

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #220 on: November 19, 2011, 02:20:25 AM »

THE YEAR'S BEST [actual] HEADLINES: -------- [Rick's RESPONSE]

Crack Found on Governor's Daughter  --------- [Imagine that!] - I think crack cocaine was found on a California governor's child

Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says - [No, really?]

Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers - [Now that's taking things a bit far!]

Is There a Ring of Debris around Uranus? ------ [Not if I wipe thoroughly!]

Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over ---- [Shocked]

Miners Refuse to Work after Death ------------- [No-good-for-nothing' lazy so-and-sos!]

Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant ------ [See if that works any better than a fair trial!]

War Dims Hope for Peace -----------------------[I can see where it might have that effect!]

If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile - [You think?]

Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures -------------[Who would have thought!]

Enfield ( London ) Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide - [They may be on to something!]

Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges ----------------[You mean there's something stronger than duct tape?]

Man Struck By Lightning: Faces Battery Charge --[he probably IS the battery charge!]

New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group - [Weren't they fat enough?!]

Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft ----[That's what he gets for eating those beans!]

Kids Make Nutritious Snacks -------------------- [Taste like chicken?]

Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half ---------[Chainsaw Massacre all over again!]

Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors ----------[Boy, are they tall!]

And the winner is....

Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead

p.s. This was given to the class by a student named Rick.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:30:19 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2011, 02:22:30 AM »

What is the first thing you do in the morning & the last thing you do at night?  U-P
My friends would call that 2/3 of a pun: P-U. Tongue
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2011, 10:42:40 AM »

THE YEAR'S BEST [actual] HEADLINES: -------- [Rick's RESPONSE]

Crack Found on Governor's Daughter  --------- [Imagine that!] - I think crack cocaine was found on a California governor's child

Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says - [No, really?]

Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers - [Now that's taking things a bit far!]

Is There a Ring of Debris around Uranus? ------ [Not if I wipe thoroughly!]

Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over ---- [Shocked]

Miners Refuse to Work after Death ------------- [No-good-for-nothing' lazy so-and-sos!]

Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant ------ [See if that works any better than a fair trial!]

War Dims Hope for Peace -----------------------[I can see where it might have that effect!]

If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile - [You think?]

Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures -------------[Who would have thought!]

Enfield ( London ) Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide - [They may be on to something!]

Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges ----------------[You mean there's something stronger than duct tape?]

Man Struck By Lightning: Faces Battery Charge --[he probably IS the battery charge!]

New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group - [Weren't they fat enough?!]

Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft ----[That's what he gets for eating those beans!]

Kids Make Nutritious Snacks -------------------- [Taste like chicken?]

Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half ---------[Chainsaw Massacre all over again!]

Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors ----------[Boy, are they tall!]

And the winner is....

Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead

p.s. This was given to the class by a student named Rick.

I love them all, and I have to agree with the winner!  Smiley

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2011, 02:37:31 PM »

Here's a joke for ya..

An Irishman walked out of a bar...

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »

Here's a joke for ya..

An Irishman walked out of a bar...
Two men walked into a bar. You'd think one of them would have ducked.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: