Author Topic: Daylight hours fasting  (Read 277 times)

Offline Niko92

Daylight hours fasting
« on: June 10, 2017, 10:20:55 AM »
Just went to a lecture tonight by my local priest at the church hall and he mentioned that originally Christians used to fast much the same as Muslims do now (no food/water during daylight hours) and got me thinking if some people still do this today?

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Daylight hours fasting
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »
Just went to a lecture tonight by my local priest at the church hall and he mentioned that originally Christians used to fast much the same as Muslims do now (no food/water during daylight hours) and got me thinking if some people still do this today?

That's true and that's the reason that on most strict fast days there are Vesperal Liturgies (so, that should be celebrated in the evening). So, some people do it on Wednesdays and Fridays if the Presanctified Liturgy is served on the proper time and on other days with the Vesperal Liturgies. I think more Christians in the Middle East during fasting periods, especially the Lent and Holy Week, do not eat until at least 3PM.

There are also some people (and I strongle encouarege to do it) that do not eat from Great Thurday evening until Pascha Sunday morning. In Poland many people (both Orthodox and Catholics) do not eat anything on the Christmas eve until the supper (and, please notice, it's the day of Vesperal Liturgy.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)