Author Topic: Moving towards Eastern Catholicism  (Read 4231 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Moving towards Eastern Catholicism
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2018, 10:06:02 PM »
You must choose. Orthodoxy doesn't need heresy. It's intellectually unsustainable at this point that both sides are orthodox. If you think the RCC is orthodox and the EOC is heretical, our predominance of the Easteen rite is irrelevant and so is your choice of Western/Eastern rite, theologically speaking. If you think the EOC is orthodox and the RCC is heretical, the timidness of our Western rite is irrelevant, just like the timidness of the Russian Catholic Church is (seriously, if the EOC gets so much BS for the few millions of Western converts, what's up for the total irrelevance of the RCC among natives in the largest Old World Christian nation?).
'Cause Fatima?
I think Fatima should solve this elephant in the room rather than cause it.  :laugh:  Also, I haven't checked the numbers, but I'm pretty sure Russia has far less Catholics now than in the time of Fatima, both due to Atheistisation (secularisation is not a proper way to call what happened in the USSR), the emigration of Catholic ethnic minorities (or genocide/deportation, I don't know the dimension of the shameful persecution against Eastern European Germans within Russia itself) and the destruction of the Russian Catholic Church.
There are about 140,000 Catholics in Russia.  There were 500,000 before the Soviets.  Most of the Germans, Ukrainians, Poles and Belarusians deported to Siberia returned to their home countries.
Half a million in today's Russia or in the whole empire?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2018, 10:31:59 PM »
You must choose. Orthodoxy doesn't need heresy. It's intellectually unsustainable at this point that both sides are orthodox. If you think the RCC is orthodox and the EOC is heretical, our predominance of the Easteen rite is irrelevant and so is your choice of Western/Eastern rite, theologically speaking. If you think the EOC is orthodox and the RCC is heretical, the timidness of our Western rite is irrelevant, just like the timidness of the Russian Catholic Church is (seriously, if the EOC gets so much BS for the few millions of Western converts, what's up for the total irrelevance of the RCC among natives in the largest Old World Christian nation?).
'Cause Fatima?
I think Fatima should solve this elephant in the room rather than cause it.  :laugh:  Also, I haven't checked the numbers, but I'm pretty sure Russia has far less Catholics now than in the time of Fatima, both due to Atheistisation (secularisation is not a proper way to call what happened in the USSR), the emigration of Catholic ethnic minorities (or genocide/deportation, I don't know the dimension of the shameful persecution against Eastern European Germans within Russia itself) and the destruction of the Russian Catholic Church.

Sorry, I mean "Because of Fatima." A Trad RC could just argue that the reason Russia today has so (comparatively) few Catholics is because the Popes are disobeying the Theotokos's request to explicitly consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart. I'm guessing that they envision a mass conversion of Russian Orthodox if that ever happens.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:32:13 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2018, 11:56:23 PM »
'Cause Fatima?
There are about 140,000 Catholics in Russia.  There were 500,000 before the Soviets.  Most of the Germans, Ukrainians, Poles and Belarusians deported to Siberia returned to their home countries.
Half a million in today's Russia or in the whole empire?
Russia.  Ukraine had a few million.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2018, 12:02:18 AM »
Russia.  Ukraine had a few million.
Oh, sure. Dumb question.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline noahzarc1

• Faith: Western Rite Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Examining Western Rite of Antiochan
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2018, 01:10:17 AM »
I think I’m moving towards Eastern Catholicism, specifically Melkite Catholicism (due to it having a special place in my heart). I see Eastern Catholicism as a repaired bridge between us and the West.

You will have Francis as your head, with universal jurisdiction. Read Vatican I, then look carefully at Francis and see if he fits the bill of what was promulgated there and whether you can be in communion with him.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2018, 02:11:08 PM »
I don't think even the RCC Pope claims to have monarchical powers over the whole church in the whole world anymore.

Of course he does.  Whether or not he tweets it out or exercises the right often is beside the point.

He knows very well most non-RCC don't listen to him, and his "kingdom" is a tiny slice of land with only about 250 residents. Supposedly all celibate, so when they die, nothing.

There was never a time when RC Popes did not know that there were people on earth who did not accept their authority, but that never stopped them before.

Indeed, Pope Francis relied on those monarchial powers to enforce his will upon the otherwise ostensibly Sovereign Military Order of Malta, for daring to oppose contraception.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2018, 02:26:55 PM »
I don't think even the RCC Pope claims to have monarchical powers over the whole church in the whole world anymore.

Of course he does.  Whether or not he tweets it out or exercises the right often is beside the point.

He knows very well most non-RCC don't listen to him, and his "kingdom" is a tiny slice of land with only about 250 residents. Supposedly all celibate, so when they die, nothing.

There was never a time when RC Popes did not know that there were people on earth who did not accept their authority, but that never stopped them before.

Indeed, Pope Francis relied on those monarchial powers to enforce his will upon the otherwise ostensibly Sovereign Military Order of Malta, for daring to oppose contraception.

Yes, so many people. The Military Order of Malta.

By the way, the Pope opposes artificial contraception too.

I guess some people are always going to be paranoid about the Pope, no matter what he does.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
The pope. The pope. The pope. Like it is the only thing relevant here to the OP. I tell you a secret:
The bishop of Rome is not that important in everyday life! Yes, he is mentioned in the liturgy along with the bishop. Yes, we pray for him: He has maybe the most challenging task on this planet, may the Paraclite grant him wisdom. But it seems to me that some people on this board spend more time thinking about him than most Catholics :D .
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2018, 04:07:20 PM »
You guys dogmatized him into a global micromanaging rock star, not us.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #189 on: September 16, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
The pope. The pope. The pope. Like it is the only thing relevant here to the OP. I tell you a secret:
The bishop of Rome is not that important in everyday life! Yes, he is mentioned in the liturgy along with the bishop. Yes, we pray for him: He has maybe the most challenging task on this planet, may the Paraclite grant him wisdom. But it seems to me that some people on this board spend more time thinking about him than most Catholics :D .

But it is the only thing relevant to the OP. If the Pope is Supreme and Infallible, then every other point of contention between Catholicism and Orthodoxy is either resolved or becomes comparatively irrelevant (no matter how many times this truth is actually mentioned in the average Catholic context).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:45:28 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
You're Protestant.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2018, 04:51:20 PM »

You mean he wasn't the bishop of Rome until the early 11th Century?

There are several saints who could tell you otherwise.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #192 on: September 16, 2018, 04:56:28 PM »

You mean he wasn't the bishop of Rome until the early 11th Century?

There are several saints who could tell you otherwise.

Bishop of Rome= global micromanaging rock star. Thank you biro for another great insight.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2018, 05:18:14 PM »
You're Protestant.

Yes, and the Pope is the main reason to be or not be Protestant over Catholic, as well.

And my reasons for having not having converted to Orthodoxy yet are almost entirely logistical.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2018, 05:19:23 PM »
You're Protestant.

Yes, and the Pope is the main reason to be or not be Protestant over Catholic, as well.

And my reasons for having not having converted to Orthodoxy yet are almost entirely logistical.

So, neither.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2018, 05:22:11 PM »

This. I understand that many Orthodox critiques of papacy might seem unfair as in practice the pope is not charge of everything. But that doesn't make Pastor Aeternus etc. to go away. It's up to Catholics to provide either interpretation of these documents that doesn't make the pope a micromanaging rock star or either do away with these documents entirely.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2018, 05:24:45 PM »
You're Protestant.

So, neither.

Neither what? Neither Protestant nor Orthodox? Yes, that's true to a large extent.

But like I've said before, my current faith designation feels like the most honest with respect to both my background and where I am currently. Were I to just put "Almost Orthodox" or "Inquirer" or "Orthodox in my heart" or something, I would feel like I wasn't being quite as forthright. "Evangelical by default" is an imperfect solution, but it's the only one I've got.

Let's not derail this thread, though. If you really want to talk about me for some reason, start a thread about it and I'll respond.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:26:36 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2018, 05:28:19 PM »
The pope. The pope. The pope. Like it is the only thing relevant...

“Divorce.  Divorce.  Divorce.”

“Contraception.  Contraception.  Contraception.”

Offline melkite

• Faith: Melkite Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »

What is the OO stance on these two issues?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2018, 08:11:33 PM »

It’s different from the RC stance, if only on paper.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2018, 08:40:28 PM »

Not that the RC stance winds up being more than "on paper" half the time.

Offline melkite

• Faith: Melkite Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2018, 09:53:13 PM »

How does it differ from the EO stance?  Or is it the same?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:54:04 PM by melkite »

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2018, 05:58:05 AM »

You are right in that there are those who think that NFP has status equivalent to the ten commandments. The militant defenders of Humanae Vitae, nah, civilization as a whole.
I have little interest in that. Also, I don't think it is necessarily a good idea to tell Christians outside the Catholic church what they are supposed to do in their bedrooms. We ought to be frying bigger fish.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2018, 08:14:14 AM »
You are right in that there are those who think that NFP has status equivalent to the ten commandments. The militant defenders of Humanae Vitae, nah, civilization as a whole.
I have little interest in that. Also, I don't think it is necessarily a good idea to tell Christians outside the Catholic church what they are supposed to do in their bedrooms. We ought to be frying bigger fish.

You can fry bigger fish without setting two standards or redefining holiness.  :)  If illness, busyness, or laziness prevent me from mopping my floor, I don't call the resulting state "clean."  I may say other things were more important, but the standard of cleanliness isn't redefined just because I couldn't or wouldn't meet it.  And do we really think God will call me to account in the same manner and to the same degree if the cause were illness vs. laziness?  The difference is what was done with the capacity I had.  Hopefully that makes sense.  And this is just an analogy; I believe God cares much more about the purity of my heart than that of my floors.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #204 on: September 17, 2018, 11:01:52 AM »
I'm a little confused as to what the point of this aside is.

Lepanto says that a lot of Orthodox are way too obsessed with the Pope and think he's the only important thing for Catholics to consider in not becoming Orthodox. Mor responds that this doesn't matter because a lot of Catholics are way too obsessed with divorce and contraception and think these are the only important things for Orthodox to consider in not becoming Catholic (I think?).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #205 on: September 17, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »

I’d happily join you in frying fish on any Friday of your choosing.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »

Lepanto says that a lot of Orthodox are way too obsessed with the Pope and think he's the only important thing for Catholics to consider in not becoming Orthodox. Mor responds that this doesn't matter because a lot of Catholics are way too obsessed with divorce and contraception and think these are the only important things for Orthodox to consider in not becoming Catholic (I think?).
Dunno, ask Mor. He is the master of cryptic insinuations.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2018, 02:03:47 PM »

Why Friday (Fryday?). Come on, you can do better than that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:04:53 PM by Lepanto »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »

Dunno, ask Mor. He is the master of cryptic insinuations.

It wasn’t very cryptic if you understood it.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »

I figured it was a fasting day for both of us. 

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »
Fish fry is good any day.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2018, 01:49:49 AM »

I figured it was a fasting day for both of us.
Fair enough, I was suspecting a pun.