OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 04:42:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Communion,  (Read 1563 times) Average Rating: 0
Brunhilda

Faith: catholic

« on: August 02, 2009, 03:22:40 AM »

Why do the Orthodox Church use ' leavened bread'  at their communion ??
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:23:23 AM by Brunhilda » Logged
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:09:04 AM »

I'm not sure, but didn't they use to eat leavened bread around Jesus' times (and -consequently- at the Last Supper too)?

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:37:39 AM »

Why do the Orthodox Church use ' leavened bread'  at their communion ??

Dear Brunhilda,

WELCOME to the Forum!

During the first thousand years of the life of the Church both the East and the West (the Church of Rome) used leavened bread.  Not so many Catholics know that because they just assume that they always used unleavened bread.  Rome, which was always conservative, only slowly changed to the use of unleavened bread when other parts of Western Europe had already changed.

CATHOLIC SCHOLARS SAY THAT THE CHURCH OF ROME USED LEAVENED BREAD
for the first 800 and more years.

The change to unleavened bread in Rome took place towards the end of the first millennium.

There is a small article here with contributions from Catholic scholars.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20118.msg300013.html#msg300013

Read Message 12
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 06:42:22 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:27:49 AM »

I know that the Armenians, an Eastern tradition, use unleavened bread. Is this also lacking in antiquity as the West, or is this perhaps more legitimately part of their tradition?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 05:05:25 AM »

I know that the Armenians, an Eastern tradition, use unleavened bread. Is this also lacking in antiquity as the West, or is this perhaps more legitimately part of their tradition?

Introduced in the 6th century and connected with their miaphysite beliefs.

See the message "Unleavened Bread and the Armenians"

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13141.msg280292.html#msg280292
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 12:55:34 AM »

Interesting articles. I thought Rome always used unleavened bread.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 02:48:37 AM »

"Interesting articles. I thought Rome always used unleavened bread."

I'm sure the Byzantines wouldn't have been stupid enough to have used it as a polemical point against them in the East-West Schism if this were these case.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags: communion azymes leavened bread 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: