OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 10:14:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quotes  (Read 8327 times) Average Rating: 0
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2009, 08:44:56 PM »

Saint Patrick of Ireland...

"I used to stay out in the forests and on the mountain and I would wake up before daylight to pray in the snow, in icy coldness, in rain, and I used to feel neither ill nor any slothfulness, because, as I now see, the Spirit was burning in me at that time.
And it was there of course that one night in my sleep I heard a voice saying to me: 'You do well to fast: soon you will depart for your home country.' And again, a very short time later, there was a voice prophesying: 'Behold, your ship is ready.' And it was not close by, but, as it happened, two hundred miles away, where I had never been nor knew any person. And shortly thereafter I turned about and fled from the man with whom I had been for six years, and I came, by the power of God who directed my route to advantage (and I was afraid o nothing), until I reached that ship. "

"I am, then, first of all, countryfied, an exile, evidently unlearned, one who is not able to see into the future, but I know for certain, that before I was humbled I was like a stone lying in deep mire, and he that is mighty came and in his mercy raised me up and, indeed, lifted me high up and placed me on top of the wall. And from there I ought to shout out in gratitude to the Lord for his great favours in this world and for ever, that the mind of man cannot measure."

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2009, 05:15:47 AM »

Saint Patrick of Ireland...

"I used to stay out in the forests and on the mountain and I would wake up before daylight to pray in the snow, in icy coldness, in rain, and I used to feel neither ill nor any slothfulness, because, as I now see, the Spirit was burning in me at that time.
And it was there of course that one night in my sleep I heard a voice saying to me: 'You do well to fast: soon you will depart for your home country.' And again, a very short time later, there was a voice prophesying: 'Behold, your ship is ready.' And it was not close by, but, as it happened, two hundred miles away, where I had never been nor knew any person. And shortly thereafter I turned about and fled from the man with whom I had been for six years, and I came, by the power of God who directed my route to advantage (and I was afraid o nothing), until I reached that ship. "

"I am, then, first of all, countryfied, an exile, evidently unlearned, one who is not able to see into the future, but I know for certain, that before I was humbled I was like a stone lying in deep mire, and he that is mighty came and in his mercy raised me up and, indeed, lifted me high up and placed me on top of the wall. And from there I ought to shout out in gratitude to the Lord for his great favours in this world and for ever, that the mind of man cannot measure."

Awesome quote! I wonder if any good movies about St. Patrick have ever been made? Anyone know?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2009, 05:19:20 AM »

"First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me." 

-Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945-

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2009, 10:19:13 PM »

Anyone know?

Selam

I have Irish blood, but my answer is no, I am afraid. :-s However, The Quiet Man is one of my favourite films..:  Smiley

By the way, has anyone seen the film "St. Patrick: The Irish Legend"? If so, is it any good? I find most movies take drastic liberties with historical facts.

http://www.amazon.com/St-Patrick-Irish-Legend-VHS/product-reviews/6305796327/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Top Ten St. Patrick's Day Movies

01) Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959)
02) The Secret of Roan Inish (1994)
03) The Quiet Man (1952)
04) Finian's Rainbow (1968)
05) This is My Father (1998)
06) The MatchMaker (1997)
07) The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns (1999)
08) St. Patrick's Day (2001)
09) St. Patrick: The Irish Legend (2000)
10) Three Wishes for Jamie (1987)
11) The Leprechaun's Christmas Gold (1981)
12) Luck of the Irish (2001)
13) A Very Unlucky Leprechaun (1998)
14) The Last Leprechaun (1998)

Movies with a St. Patrick's Day Scene
The Fugitive (1993)
State of Grace (1990)

------------

Back to quotes..

"All I Want Is You"

--  U2

You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
You say you want
Your story to remain untold

But all the promises we make
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you

You say you'll give me
A highway with no one on it
Treasure just to look upon it
All the riches in the night

You say you'll give me
Eyes in a moon of blindness
A river in a time of dryness
A harbour in the tempest
But all the promises we make
When all I want is you

You say you want
Your love to work out right
To last with me through the night

You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

All the promises we break
When all I want is you

You...all I want is...
You...all I want is...
You...all I want is...
You...

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:27:20 PM by Catherine » Logged
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2009, 10:25:27 PM »

St Maximos the Confessor...

"Nothing so much as love brings together those who have been sundered and produces in them an effective union of will and purpose. Love is distinguished by the beauty of recognizing the equal value of all men. Love is born in a man when his soul's powers - that is, his intelligence, incensive power and desire - are concentrated and unified around the divine. Those who by grace have come to recognized the equal value of all men in God's sight and who engrave His beauty on their memory, possess an ineradicable longing for divine love, for such love is always imprinting this beauty on their intellect." (Second Century of Various Texts, 72, in the Philokalia, vol. 2, p 202.)
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2009, 10:55:21 PM »

The Holy New Martyr the Grand Duchess Elizabeth

"We work, pray and hope every day to experience God’s mercy. Every day we experience a continuous miracle."

“I long to give thanks, to give thanks every minute for everything that the Lord has given me. I long to bring Him my insignificant gratitude, serving Him and His suffering children.”

“It seems that from my childhood I had a great desire to help those suffering, especially those whose souls are in pain.”

-- Saint Elizabeth

On her way to exile Saint Elizabeth wrote a letter to the nuns of her monastery:

"Bless the Lord and may the Holy Christ's Resurrection console and strengthen you. May St. Sergei, prelate Dmitrii and St. Evphrosinia Polotzkaya preserve us all. I keep recalling the past day, all of your faces so dear to me. O, Lord, how much suffering there was on those faces, how my heart ached! You are dearer to me with every passing minute. How shall I leave you, how can I comfort and strengthen you? Remember, my dearest ones, what I had told you. Be always not only my children, but also good learners. Unite and be like one soul - everything for God's sake. Repeat after John Chrysostom, "Thank God for everything!" 
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2009, 10:56:06 PM »

Catherine
Elder

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »

There is a great deed in the battle
There is a great deed in the struggle
But the greatest deed is
In love and praying
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2009, 11:49:37 PM »

“Not only do we know the beatitudes, but at this hour, this very minute,
surrounded by a dismal and despairing world, we already savour the
blessedness they promise whenever with God’s help and by God’s will we
deny ourselves, when we muster the strength to lay down our lives for our
neighbors, when we seek nothing for ourselves in love…"

Mother Maria Skobtsova, 1891-1945

A prayer found in the clothing of a dead child at Ravensbrück concentration camp:

Lord,
remember not only the men and woman of good will,
but also those of ill will.
but do not remember all of the suffering they have inflicted upon us:
instead remember the fruits we bought, thanks to this suffering –
our fellowship, our loyalty to one another, our humility,
the courage, the generosity, the greatness of heart
that has grown from this trouble.
When our persecutors come to be judged by you,
let all of these fruits that we have borne
be their forgiveness. Amen.
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2009, 04:48:24 PM »

God's Mercy...

"Not only is it wonderful that He forgives us our sins, but also that He neither uncovers them nor does He make them stand forth clearly revealed. Nor does He force us to come forward and publicly proclaim our misdeeds, but He bids us to make our defense to Him alone and to confess our sins to Him. And yet, if any judge of a worldly tribunal were to tell some captured highwayman or grave robber to confess his crime and be excused from paying the penalty, this prisoner would with all alacrity admit the truth and scorn the disgrace in his desire to go free. But this is not the case in baptism. God forgives our sins and does not force us to make a parade of them in the presence of others. He seeks one thing only: that he who benefits by the forgiveness make learn the greatness of the gift."

"Thou dost not so much desire thy sins to be forgiven, as He desires to forgive thee thy sins. In proof that thou dost not so desire it, consider that thou hast no mind either to practice vigils, or to give thy money freely: but He, that He might forgive our sins, spared not His Only-Begotten and True Son, the partner of His throne."

- St John Chrysostom
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:49:18 PM by Catherine » Logged
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2009, 04:40:35 AM »

Fall seven times, stand up eight.  ~ Japanese Proverb
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2009, 04:47:02 AM »

"I love life. So I look out at the earth and I say, 'I have to live forever.' But the only way I can live forever is to know God and do what God says. And no man can fight that."     -BOB MARLEY (Birhan Selassie)-

Selam
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:47:40 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2009, 04:50:11 AM »

"I don't stand for the black man's side; I don't stand for the white man's side. I stand for God's side!"  -BOB MARLEY (Birhan Selassie)-

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2009, 04:51:58 AM »

"Even in the 21st century, with faith, courage, and a just cause, David will still defeat Goliath."    -H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I-

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2009, 04:53:40 AM »

"Liberate the minds of men, and ultimately you will liberate the bodies of men."     
-MARCUS GARVEY-

Selam
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:54:04 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2009, 03:15:45 AM »

"Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate.

Costly grace is the treasure hidden in the field; for the sake of it a man will gladly go and sell all that he has. It is the pearl of great price to buy which the merchant will sell all his goods. It is the kingly rule of Christ, for whose sake a man will pluck out the eye which causes him to stumble, it is the call of Jesus Christ at which the disciple leaves his nets and follows him.

Costly grace is the gospel which must be sought again and again, the gift which must be asked for, the door at which a man must knock.

Such grace is costly because it calls us to follow, and it is grace because it calls us to follow Jesus Christ. It is costly because it costs a man his life, and it is grace because it gives a man the only true life. It is costly because it condemns sin, and grace because it justifies the sinner. Above all, it is costly because it cost God the life of his Son: "ye were bought at a price," and what has cost God much cannot be cheap for us. Above all, it is grace because God did not reckon his Son too dear a price to pay for our life, but delivered him up for us. Costly grace is the Incarnation of God."

-DIETRICH BONHOEFFER-

Selam
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:17:38 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Catherine
Elder

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2009, 03:54:36 PM »

"All that counts in life is intention."

-- Andrea Bocelli

"For me, music making is the most joyful activity possible, the most perfect expression of any emotion."

-- Luciano Pavarotti
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2009, 08:21:53 PM »

Corrie Ten Boom on Heartbreak:

How long I lay on my bed sobbing for the one love of my life I do not know. I was afraid of what father would say. Afraid he would say, “There'll be someone else soon,” and that forever afterwards this untruth would lie between us. “Corrie,” he began instead, “do you know what hurts so very much? Love. Love is the strongest force in the world, and when it is blocked that means pain. There are two things we can do when this happens. We can kill the love so that it stops hurting. But then of course part of us dies, too. Or,  we can ask God to open up another route for that love to travel. God loves Karel, even more than you do, and if you ask Him, He will give you His love for this man, a love nothing can prevent, nothing destroy. Whenever we cannot love in the old human way, God can give us the perfect way.”

I did not know that he had put into my hands the secret that would open far darker rooms than this; places where there was not, on a human level, anything to love at all. My task just then was to give up my feeling for Karel without giving up the joy and wonder that had grown with it. And so, that very hour, I whispered a prayer, “ I give to You the way I feel about Karel, my thoughts about our future, everything. Give me Your way of seeing Karel instead. Help me to love him that way. That much.”

Catherine
Elder

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2009, 08:45:33 PM »

“I will never leave you...” (Heb. 13:5).
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2009, 09:36:42 PM »

Take Time
Old English Prayer, Author Unknown

Take time to play, it is the secret of perpetual youth.
Take time to be friendly, it is the road to happiness.
Take time to dream, it is hitching your wagon to a star.
Take time to look around, it is too short a day to be selfish.
Take time to laugh, it is the music of the soul.
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2009, 11:58:19 PM »

"We have only won the war. The revolution begins now."
-Che Guevara, after the triumph of the rebels.

Reporter: "I've made a bet, Mr. President, that I can make you say at least three words"
Calvin Coolidge: "You lose."

"Little children, keep yourselves from idols"
St. John the Apostle

"Were it possible, we might seek to canonize the holy elders of The Brothers Karamazov."
-Pilgrim

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »

"It takes far more strength and conviction of character to exhibit love... I am starting to realize in a world that is full of hate, jealousy, violence, war and abuse, loving someone else and yourself is one of the most revolutionary things you can do..."

-- My friend and I were disgussing a few things, the other day. He read the quote somewhere ( ...forgot where..). It would appear to be part of an online reflection...  Huh Anyway..I like the quote...

-------

"Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up."

--Jesse Jackson

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:20:21 PM by Catherine » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »

"A man can do what he wants, but not want what he wants." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"For we ought to think of God even more often than we draw our breath; and if the expression is permissible, we ought to do nothing else.  Yea, I am one of those who entirely approve that Word which bids us meditate day and night, (Ps. 1:2) and tell at eventide and morning and noon day, (Ps. 40:17) and praise the Lord at every time (Ps. 34:1)" - St. Gregory the Theologian, Oration 27, 5

"It is better both to attain the good and to keep the purification.  But if it be impossible to do both it is surely better to be a little stained with your public affairs than to fall altogether short of grace; just as I think it better to undergo a slight punishment from father or master than to be put out of doors; and to be a little beamed upon than to be left in total darkness.  And it is the part of wise men to choose, as in good things the greater and more perfect, so in evils the lesser and lighter. Wherefore do not overmuch dread the purification.  For our success is always judged by comparison with our place in life by our just and merciful Judge; and often one who is in public life and has had small success has had a greater reward than one who in the enjoyment of liberty has not completely succeeded; as I think it more marvellous for a man to advance a little in fetters, than for one to run who is not carrying any weight; or to be only a little spattered in walking through mud, than to be perfectly clean when the road is clean.  To give you a proof of what I have said:--Rahab the harlot was justified by one thing alone, her hospitality, (Jos. 6:25; James 2:25) though she receives no praise for the rest of her conduct; and the Publican was exalted by one thing, his humility, (Luke 18:14)" - St. Gregory the Theologian, 40, 19

"I am the image of God, and am drawn to wickedness." - St. Gregory the Theologian

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2009, 09:34:09 PM »

I Have Learned
by Kathy Kane Hansen
Copyright © 1971 Kathy Kane Hansen. All rights reserved. See note below.

I've learned -
that you cannot make someone love you.
All you can do is be someone who can be loved.
The rest is up to them.

I've learned -
that no matter how much I care,
some people just don't care back.

I've learned -
that it takes years to build up trust,
and only seconds to destroy it.

I've learned -
that it's not what you have in your life
but who you have in your life that counts.

I've learned -
that you can get by on charm
for about fifteen minutes.
After that, you'd better know something.

I've learned -
that you shouldn't compare
yourself to the best others can do.
but to the best you can do.

I've learned -
that it's not what happens to people
that's important. It's what they do about it.

I've learned -
that you can do something in an instant
that will give you heartache for life.

I've learned -
that no matter how thin you slice it,
there are always two sides.

I've learned -
that it's taking me a long time
to become the person I want to be.

I've learned -
that it's a lot easier
to react than it is to think.

I've learned -
that you should always leave
loved ones with loving words.
It may be the last time you see them.

I've learned -
that you can keep going
long after you think you can't.

I've learned -
that we are responsible for what we do,
no matter how we feel.

I've learned -
that either you control your attitude
or it controls you.

I've learned -
that regardless of how hot and steamy
a relationship is at first,
the passion fades and there had better be
something else to take its place.

I've learned -
that heroes are the people
who do what has to be done
when it needs to be done,
regardless of the consequences.

I've learned -
that learning to forgive takes practice.

I've learned -
that there are people who love you dearly,
but just don't know how to show it.

I've learned -
that money is a lousy way of keeping score.

I've learned -
that my best friend and I can do anything
or nothing and have the best time.

I've learned -
that sometimes the people you expect
to kick you when you're down
will be the ones to help you get back up.

I've learned -
that sometimes when I'm angry
I have the right to be angry,
but that doesn't give me
the right to be cruel.

I've learned -
that true friendship continues to grow,
even over the longest distance.
Same goes for true love.

I've learned -
that just because someone doesn't love you
the way you want them to doesn't mean
they don't love you with all they have.

I've learned -
that maturity has more to do with
what types of experiences you've had
and what you've learned from them
and less to do with how many
birthdays you've celebrated.

I've learned -
that you should never tell a child
their dreams are unlikely or outlandish.
Few things are more humiliating, and
what a tragedy it would be if they believed it.

I've learned -
that your family won't always
be there for you. It may seem funny,
but people you aren't related to
can take care of you and love you
and teach you to trust people again.
Families aren't biological.

I've learned -
that no matter how good a friend is,
they're going to hurt you
every once in a while
and you must forgive them for that.

I've learned -
that it isn't always enough
to be forgiven by others.
Sometimes you have to learn
to forgive yourself.

I've learned -
that no matter how bad
your heart is broken
the world doesn't stop for your grief.

I've learned -
that our background and circumstances
may have influenced who we are,
but we are responsible for who we become.

I've learned -
that sometimes when my friends fight,
I'm forced to choose sides
even when I don't want to.

I've learned -
that just because two people argue,
it doesn't mean they don't love each other
And just because they don't argue,
it doesn't mean they do.

I've learned -
that sometimes you have to put
the individual ahead of their actions.

I've learned -
that we don't have to change friends
if we understand that friends change.

I've learned -
that you shouldn't be so
eager to find out a secret.
It could change your life forever.

I've learned -
that two people can look
at the exact same thing
and see something totally different.

I've learned -
that no matter how you try to protect
your children, they will eventually get hurt
and you will hurt in the process.

I've learned -
that there are many ways of falling
and staying in love.

I've learned -
that no matter the consequences,
those who are honest with themselves
get farther in life.

I've learned -
that no matter how many friends you have,
if you are their pillar you will feel lonely
and lost at the times you need them most.

I've learned -
that your life can be changed
in a matter of hours
by people who don't even know you.

I've learned -
that even when you think
you have no more to give,
when a friend cries out to you,
you will find the strength to help.

I've learned -
that writing, as well as talking,
can ease emotional pains.

I've learned -
that the paradigm we live in
is not all that is offered to us.

I've learned -
that credentials on the wall
do not make you a decent human being.

I've learned -
that the people you care most about in life
are taken from you too soon.

I've learned -
that although the word “love”
can have many different meanings,
it loses value when overly used.

I've learned -
that it's hard to determine
where to draw the line
between being nice and
not hurting people's feelings
and standing up for what you believe.

----
Important Note about this Prose
This prose has spread all over the Internet in various forms. The author, Kathy Kane Hansen is the original author of this prose and the correct version of her original prose is the one above. She wrote it about 30 years ago, around 1971, and she has seen many versions of this all over the Internet. The above version is the accurate and original version of her profound prose. A longer version of this prose as “Lessons Learned” by Ronald K. Pendleton, Ph.D., Professor of Education California State University, San Bernardino and ThinkQuest Library credits Dr. Pendleton as being the original author of Lessons Learned. However, I've now confirmed the correct, accurate version as shown above and that the original author is Kathy Kane Hansen
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2009, 03:08:20 AM »

"You have freedom of choice, but you don't have freedom of consequence."

-Nick Saban-

Selam

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2009, 11:08:21 AM »

I have this one on my Facebook, and I really like it:

"A child may ask, "What is the world's story about?" And a grown man or woman may wonder, "What way will the world go? How does it end and, while we're at it, what's the story about?"

I believe that there is one story in the world, and only one, that has frightened and inspired us, so that we live in a Pearl White serial of continuing thought and wonder. Humans are caught - in their lives, in their thoughts, in their hungers and ambitions, in their avarice and cruelty, and in their kindness and generosity too - in a net of good and evil. I think this is the only story we have and that it occurs on all levels of feeling and intelligence. Virtue and vice were warp and woof of our first consciousness, and they will be the fabric of our last, and this despite any changes we may impose on field and river and mountain, on economy and manners. There is no other story. A man, after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well - or ill?"

(John Steinbeck, "East of Eden," Part Four, chapter 34)

Love never fails.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:45 PM »

"Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people." - Carl Sagan

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2009, 10:34:02 PM »

"Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people." - Carl Sagan

I love Carl Sagan's speech about the Pale Blue Dot.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »

Interesting quote. But I have some questions:
(consider it my quotation Wink)

"1. Who or what determines 'significance' in the midst of perpetual cosmic chaos?

2. Who 'tucked away' this galaxy, and by whom is this 'corner of a universe forgotten?'

3. If our existence is as insignificant as Mr. Sagan so eloquently asserts, then why did he feel so compelled to make us understand that our existence is not worth bothering to understand?"

Selam
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:45:31 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2009, 10:49:36 PM »

I love Carl Sagan's speech about the Pale Blue Dot.

I haven't read the speech yet, but perhaps Mr. Sagan should have stayed away from the pale blue dots. I took some of those in high school, and if I had kept on taking them I imagine I would've wound up swimming in cosmic chaos like Carl. Wink

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2009, 10:50:27 PM »

ozgeorge,

Argh, I can't get the video to load past 55 seconds, no matter how much I reload, let it run, pause at the beginning, etc. Well, I've bookmarked it and will come back and hopefully it'll load for me later.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

I'll start a new thread, so as not to take this one off course. Just give me a little bit to get it set up. Smiley

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2009, 10:53:07 PM »

I have this one on my Facebook, and I really like it:

"A child may ask, "What is the world's story about?" And a grown man or woman may wonder, "What way will the world go? How does it end and, while we're at it, what's the story about?"

I believe that there is one story in the world, and only one, that has frightened and inspired us, so that we live in a Pearl White serial of continuing thought and wonder. Humans are caught - in their lives, in their thoughts, in their hungers and ambitions, in their avarice and cruelty, and in their kindness and generosity too - in a net of good and evil. I think this is the only story we have and that it occurs on all levels of feeling and intelligence. Virtue and vice were warp and woof of our first consciousness, and they will be the fabric of our last, and this despite any changes we may impose on field and river and mountain, on economy and manners. There is no other story. A man, after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well - or ill?"

(John Steinbeck, "East of Eden," Part Four, chapter 34)

Haven't read the book, but I loved the movie with James Dean. Smiley

I did read The Grapes of Wrath, which was excellent. Also another good movie, with Henry Fonda.

Selam

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2009, 10:54:52 PM »

ozgeorge,

Argh, I can't get the video to load past 55 seconds, no matter how much I reload, let it run, pause at the beginning, etc. Well, I've bookmarked it and will come back and hopefully it'll load for me later.

Here is a text version of his speech and the context:
http://www.bigskyastroclub.org/pale_blue_dot.html

But I recommend listening to him speak it as well when you get a chance.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »

Thank you for the link. Smiley

Also, here's another contribution to the thread:

"If a man would pursue philosophy, his first task is to throw away conceit. For it is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he has a conceit that he already knows." - Epictetus

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2009, 01:40:16 AM »

"Well why don't you fix it, dear fellow, dear fellow? Well why don't you fix it before I go mad!" - Jack

"Oh, no, no, Major... you can't dismiss me that easily. I did what had to be done. My men understood that, and that's why they loved me. I would order them to go out and kill Bajoran scum, and they'd do it, they'd murder them! They'd come back covered in blood but they felt clean! Now why did they feel that way, Major? Because they were clean!" - Marritza

"My father used to say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I laid the first stone right there. I'd committed myself. I'd pay any price; go to any lengths because my cause was righteous. My...intentions were good. In the beginning, that seemed good enough." - Benjamin Sisko

"So... I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would. Garak was right about one thing, a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it... Computer, erase that entire personal log." - Benjamin Sisko

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2009, 10:40:49 AM »

"The reader who has got as far as the preface and is put off by that, has paid money for the book, and wants to know how he is to be compensated. My last refuge now is to remind him that he knows of various ways of using a book without precisely reading it. It can, like many another, fill a gap in his library, where, neatly bound, it is sure to look well. Or he can lay it on the dressing-table or tea-table of his learned lady friend. Or finally he can review it; this is assuredly the best course of all, and the one I specially advise." - Arthur Schopenhauer

I especially love the "review it" advice Cheesy

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2009, 05:45:14 PM »

"Some thinkers, like the ant, collect; some, like the spider, spin; some, like the bee, collect, transform by adding of their substance, and create." - Walter Kaufmann

"A great deal of philosophy, including truly subtle and ingenious works, was not intended as an edifice for me to live in, safe from sun and wind, but as a challenge: don't sleep on! there are so many vantage points; they change in flight: what matters is to leave off crawling in the dust. A philosopher's insight may be a photograph taken in flight. Those who have never flown think they are wise when noting that two such pictures are not alike: they contradict each other; flying is no good; hail unto all that crawls! The history of philosophy is a photo album with snapshots of the life of the spirit. Adherents of a philosophy mistake a few snapshots for the whole of life." - Walter Kaufmann

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2009, 08:30:01 AM »

"Spiraling up through the crack in the sky
Leaving material world behind
I see your face in constellations
The martyr is ending his life for mine"

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: