OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 11:20:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Civil War  (Read 1170 times) Average Rating: 0
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« on: November 13, 2009, 08:54:24 PM »

Are there any Orthodox out there who are involved with Civil War reenacting or general CW enthusiasts?  My mother has recently traced our family back to several Civil War vets (and the Revolutionary War), and I was curious if there were other Orthodox with interest in this aspect of history.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »

I have an interest in it. My family had three brothers that fought for dixie in the war of Northern Agression one was killed in the Battle of Bull Run the first battle of the war the other two made it and one settled in Montana after the war. Thats where I come from. God Bless Dixie.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:03:11 PM by Vlad » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:42:18 PM »

We have a friend who lurks here who has done several Civil War reenactments. Perhaps he can take the plunge and sign up for the forum and tell you about it (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »

God Bless Dixie.

My friend, God bless you.  American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God. Wink

Father Giryus,

My great great grandfather fought for Dixie in the War of Northern Aggression.  He fought in two theaters; one in Kentucky where he was from and the other, we believe, was in Tennessee where he was killed.  After his first time around, he moved to here in southern MO, in the Ozarks.  He was called again a year later and this time was killed.  My family has a few of his personal belongings such as his tattered Confederate flag and two letters- one from his widow to Pres. Lincoln asking for assistance when the war ended (she never mailed this one) and another letter, this time from, I forget who, but it was a Gov't assistance request that was rejected.  Some in my family are still members of The Sons of Confederate Veterans.  

I'm not involved with any reenacting, but I do enjoy reading about the War, The Confederate States of America (CSA) as well as the border state of Missouri's involvement.  I live about 15 minutes from Wilson's Creek National Battlefield (aka The Battle of Oak Hills) where the Confederate's won.

http://www.nps.gov/WICR/index.htm

Here are two flags that Missouri Confederates fought under;

and my favorite

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God. Wink  

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 10:56:04 PM »

I have an interest in it. My family had three brothers that fought for dixie in the war of Northern Agression one was killed in the Battle of Bull Run the first battle of the war the other two made it and one settled in Montana after the war. Thats where I come from. God Bless Dixie.
No, no, no, sir. How dare you call yourself a Southerner and refer to that battle by its Yankee name? Your ancestor was killed in the Battle of Manassas Junction. Grin
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 11:25:39 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 12:05:11 AM »

Are there any Orthodox out there who are involved with Civil War reenacting or general CW enthusiasts?  My mother has recently traced our family back to several Civil War vets (and the Revolutionary War), and I was curious if there were other Orthodox with interest in this aspect of history.

You mean the War between the States?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 01:44:26 AM »

I have reenacted for a number of years, but had to stop several years ago when my family moved to MN and the fourth kid came along.

Now that the kids are older, I'm thinking of getting back into it. There's a very interesting MS Artillery unit that I'm in contact with, that also has their own horses and a wagon or two.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 02:35:32 AM »

In my basement hangs one of the only American flags that I own, the Third Model "Blood Dipped Banner". 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 03:51:48 AM »

deleted by poster
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 04:15:37 AM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »

I have reenacted for a number of years, but had to stop several years ago when my family moved to MN and the fourth kid came along.

Now that the kids are older, I'm thinking of getting back into it. There's a very interesting MS Artillery unit that I'm in contact with, that also has their own horses and a wagon or two.

We have a lot of reenactment units around us, and several of them seem to be family oriented.  I'm planning to go to their next event with the kids to see how they like it, and perhaps we will get more involved.  My hope is that my children will get a better appreciation for history and the blessings they presently enjoy.  What would be interesting to observe would be the reaction of parishioners seeing me in a Confederate uniform!  I did hear of an Orthodox priest who once had a cassock made in Confederate gray.  When asked about the cassock's color, he remarked, "The South shall rise again!"

The folks I have met through my investigations thus far seem to be kind and intelligent folks with just enough quirkiness that they won't find me utterly unacceptable.

Perhaps this will give me the inspiration to finally finish the CVA Hawken Rifle kit I've had in a box for 25 years!

The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 03:20:29 PM »

Such enthusiasm for the War of Southern Stupidity is unknown here in the People's Republik of KKKalifornia.
Logan46

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 03:26:54 PM »

You mean "War of the Rebellion."
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »

Such enthusiasm for the War of Southern Stupidity is unknown here in the People's Republik of KKKalifornia.

Well, I'm in California as well and there seems to be no shortage of Confederate enthusiasm, it's just more sedate because of the PC nature of things here.  Many Confederates here fly the Bonny Blue Flag on their cars since our pathetic school systems don't teach the kids what the flag means and they assume that the driver is Somali.  As far as reenactment units go, there are lots of Southern units in Southern California (the other 'SC').

Then, there is one secessionist movement that gets little press:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Jefferson

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »

I believe Sparky and Rhonda sing a version of "I'm a good old rebel" in this interview.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: