OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:37:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Hell  (Read 971 times) Average Rating: 0
Thegra

Faith: Unknown
Jurisdiction: Unknown

« on: August 01, 2009, 08:24:42 PM »

My view of hell has been a conditionalist view. That is, eternal life belongs only to God, and Christ defeated death so that "whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16) Therefore, those who reject Christ will perish, that is, have eternal death rather than eternal life.

Is this compatible with the Orthodox view? Or is this considered heretical?

Thanks!
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 08:30:13 PM »

When you say eternal death, you mean along the lines of annihilationism?

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Thegra

Faith: Unknown
Jurisdiction: Unknown

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 08:32:13 PM »

That sort of idea, yes.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:32:26 PM by Thegra » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »

Outside of select Protestant groups, I haven't run into conditionalist views much. 

The Orthodox Church, like the Roman Catholic Church, High Anglicans (and most Low Church), etc. view the soul of a human being to be immortal.  Those who embrace God's love and reject God's love experience a different life after this, but there is no eternal death for the soul. 

I'm sure others will be able to explain better, with Biblical and Patristic quotations.   Smiley

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 06:06:00 AM »

Even from a Protestant viewpoint, it is wrong to conclude that the souls will perish. That would be something good, driving a soul to non-existence. But the Scripture says that they will live forever too, but experiencing punishment.
Satan and the rest will be tormented forever (Revelation 20:10).

Revelation 20:14
[...] The lake of fire is the second death.

I am inclined to believe that this death is not the biological one nor it is anyhow related. A soul cannot die and be driven to non-existence. A dead soul is the one that lives without God's Grace.

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 11:20:28 PM »

The interpretation that I've been taught was that all those upon death experience God's fiery love, felt as joy to those who embrace it, and agony to those who reject it.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 03:52:24 AM »

The interpretation that I've been taught was that all those upon death experience God's fiery love, felt as joy to those who embrace it, and agony to those who reject it.

Yes. Just as God's divine morality, justice, and truth torment those who reject it in this life, so too will it torment them even more in the next life. The Light of Christ heals those who embrace it, and it burns those who despise it.

"Lord Have Mercy."

Selam
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:58:04 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Tags: Hell 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: