OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:32:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WELCOME, BR. MAX, OFC  (Read 9173 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2003, 02:07:09 PM »

But you claim that your group has "valid apostolic succession". Anyone is welcome on this forum, but if you make statements like this just be prepared to back them up.

Quite. Mentioning 'valid apostolic succession' right away is a dead giveaway of the vagante. As my good friend Keble has written, them what got it don't rabbit on about it.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2003, 03:13:33 PM »

Them what are being attacked often offer the only proofs their attackers will accept.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2003, 03:15:36 PM »

As for my baptism - I was not baptized unil I was 16 of my own choosing.  As for my standing in the Jewish community - I stand by what I have said - by the Law I am a Jew.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2003, 04:03:33 PM »

As for my baptism - I was not baptized unil I was 16 of my own choosing.  As for my standing in the Jewish community - I stand by what I have said - by the Law I am a Jew.

I'm Heinz 57: a little of this, a bit of that.

Blessed with hybrid vigor.

Ahhh . . .

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2003, 04:06:13 PM »

Heinz is the best.  It's from Pittsburgh so of course its the Best Grin

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2003, 04:15:36 PM »

My great-great grandfather was born in Beaver Falls.

That's not too far from Pittsburgh.  Grin

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2003, 04:26:52 PM »

Here it sounds like you're saying your mother wasn't a Methodist yet when you were born, which would make you a born Jew. But because you were baptized, you stopped being a Jew. However, AFAIK the Jews say you could always go back to being one by apostasizing from Christianity.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 04:57:33 PM by Serge » Logged

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2003, 04:38:36 PM »

Serge: there is NO chance what ever of me renouncing my Lord, my Savior, My Redeemer, My alpha and Omega, My ALL IN ALL, my Bridegroom, Friend, my brother, my Love, My God.  I've had Jewish friends praying for years for me to renounce the Christian faith, but their prayers are to no avail.  I could no sooner renounce Christ than renounce my own brain!  That being said - there is no possible way I'll be becoming a Fundie either!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 04:39:41 PM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2003, 04:40:27 PM »

Serge: there is NO chance what ever of me renounicing my Lord, my Savior, My Redeemer, My alpha and Omega, My ALL IN ALL, my Bridegroom, Friend, my brother, my Love, My God.  I've had Jewish frineds praying for years for me to renounce the Christian faith, but their prayers are to no avail.  I could no sooner renouce Christ than renounce my own brain!  That being said - there is no possible way I'll be becoming a Fundie either!!

Well, of course that's wonderful! But again, because of that, according to halakah you're not a Jew anymore.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2003, 04:44:54 PM »

serge: My Jewishness depends upon which Jews you speak to.  First of all my Ethnicity cannot ever be taken away.  Secondly, depending on what flavor of Jew - I'm either still a new or never was a Jew.  *shrug* Either way, I'm a child of God, a true son of Israel because of my Lord and savior. Cheesy

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2003, 04:46:18 PM »

Well, Serge isn't saying that, he's just saying that from a Judaic standpoint the possibility remains.  

I think we've pretty much accomplished what we were going to do with this thread.  We've welcomed Br. Max, given him a hazing Smiley, and now we've all moved onto other topics after each person made the points they were trying to make:

Br. Max is not Catholic or Orthodox and has never said otherwise.  He comes from a vagante group(it's not an insulting term, just a technical one) that follows the Franciscan order.  Serge and others have spent time going over the apostolic claims, and by EO and RC standards, that group would not be considered apostolic.  

I think we all understand each other and we can move on to more interesting topics that don't have as much chance of degrading as a critique of one non-Orthodox forum member's ecclesiastical affiliation on an Orthodox forum.  I now consider the topic closed.

Again, welcome to the OC.net community Br. Max.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2003, 04:50:59 PM »

I agree!  Not enough good things can be said about my home town!

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2003, 04:54:36 PM »

First of all my Ethnicity cannot ever be taken away.

Nobody is saying it can. But ethnicity doesn't necessarily equal being a Jew, which is primarily a religious category, though one that usually is transmitted by birth and so, often, by ethnicity.  

Secondly, depending on what flavor of Jew - I'm either still a new or never was a Jew.  *shrug*

That sounds like your mother had joined another religion before you were born. If so, then you never were a Jew.

Either way, I'm a child of God, a true son of Israel because of my Lord and savior.

By virtue of being Christian, yes. But 'true son of Israel' here doesn't mean 'I am a Jew'.

Br. Max is not Catholic or Orthodox and has never said otherwise.  He comes from a vagante group (it's not an insulting term, just a technical one) that follows the Franciscan order.

Right.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 04:56:39 PM by Serge » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2003, 05:13:46 PM »

Moving on to something a little more light, Br. Max, is that the Hail Mary in Hebrew in your signature?  It looks similar to our Syriac version.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2003, 05:16:30 PM »

Moving on to something a little more light, Br. Max, is that the Hail Mary in Hebrew in your signature?  It looks similar to our Syriac version.

That was my guess too, based on the few words I could understand - looks like the RC wording too.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2003, 06:15:59 PM »

why yes.  Yes it is the Hail Mary in Hebrew Smiley  Brownie points for you!! Smiley

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2003, 10:52:38 PM »

WELP I think I may find myself banned from yet ANOTHER forum for standing up against Messianic revisionism and heresy! Whoo hoo! 2 in one month! Grin

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2003, 11:25:26 PM »

Notches on your belt? Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2003, 11:53:22 PM »

I may be jumping the gun saying I'm gonna get banned, but then - I did get banned from CF without notification or warning.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2003, 12:02:31 AM »

Out of curiosity, what was the text of your last post?  Something like "Your position is wrong because..."  or "Perish yon heretical guttersnipe!"  Makes a difference. Wink

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2003, 12:17:43 AM »

last post where? CF or the one I'll be getting banned from?

AT CF - They did not say which post was "offensive" just that I was guilty of "flaming" people which means I made personal attacks.  The only thing that can be said in my last dozen or so posts that could qualify as a personal attack was a discussion with a "Messianic" who said that he does not accept the doctrine of the trinity.  He espoused a form of modalism.  SO - I told the truth - I told him he was an Heretic.

AT the other forum - I’ve rejected the notion that Christmas and Easter have pagan origins.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2003, 12:30:41 AM »

Interesting...I don't know if I was ever formally banned at TBTSNBN or not...never played around at CF.  I'd rather stay here with nice friendly people who don't go out of their way to be contrary at all possible opportunities.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2003, 01:23:49 AM »

Br. Max: I could no sooner renounce Christ than renounce my own brain!  That being said - there is no possible way I'll be becoming a Fundie either!!

Now that's funny!  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2003, 01:29:24 AM »

Linus: I  KNEW you would appreciate that Grin

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2003, 01:30:03 AM »

More like knots on his cord.  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2003, 01:32:57 AM »

More like knots on his cord.  Wink

Nah we only get three of those.Sad

Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2003, 09:49:34 AM »

Well I hope Brother Max stays...he is very entertaining!

I agree!  He is a good addition to our discussion group!

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2003, 10:02:12 AM »

Well I hope Brother Max stays...he is very entertaining!

I agree!  He is a good addition to our discussion group!

Amen!

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2003, 11:22:38 AM »

Yes, Br. Max is a "free spirit," with a healthy sense of humor thrown in!

Are you sure "Br." doesn't stand for "Brave?"

AmdG
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2003, 03:16:07 PM »

:- aw golly gee shucks.  you make me sound like a nice guy!  

YOU ARE RUINING MY REPUTATION!!  Tongue

Linus - Tell them how awful I am.  I'm mean spirited and rude and angry and nasty and stiff necked and unyielding and intolerant and bigoted and all those other words the left likes to throw at people of character and morals!  HURRY tell them before more of them start to think I'm nice!!

Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2003, 03:47:06 PM »

Okay, Dear Mad Max:

Niceties have been thrown out the windows a long time ago! Wink

Honesty IS a better qualifier.

aMADo
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2003, 04:06:43 PM »

Gee, Br. Max, it sounds like you are ready for the, uh, Ohio list. Except you need to work on your self-importance. . .  Wink
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2003, 04:26:13 PM »

Keble: Ohio?  I was once of Ohio, but I have since been delivered from that. Smiley All I can say is PA RULZ!! OHIO DROOLZ!

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2003, 04:30:27 PM »

I find that a lot of people think I am arrogant.  I guess I can come off that way sometimes.  I try hard to stay humble, but it’s so hard to be perfect and humble at the same time.  I am however quite proud of my humility.  And just a FYI for those who think I am arrogant - I'm not arrogant; I'm just better than you.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2003, 04:31:11 PM »

( I crack me up Grin Grin Grin)

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2003, 12:12:43 AM »

vicki: um . . . thanks.  I think.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2003, 12:34:49 AM »

Amadeus: Okay, Dear Mad Max:

I like that, but Br. Max does not look like a young Mel Gibson.

I've seen his photo.

He looks more like a young Tevya (hope I spelled that right) from Fiddler on the Roof.

Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2003, 12:46:33 AM »

*gasp* how rude!

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2003, 12:51:29 AM »

*gasp* how rude!

Hey! At least I said you look young!  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2003, 01:14:03 AM »

Oh so I LOOK young.  Um hum.  You're lucky I'm feeling generous Grin

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: