OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:31:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding Nemo  (Read 2926 times) Average Rating: 0
Linus7
Archon

« on: November 19, 2003, 10:10:11 PM »

Have you all seen it?

Do you see Christ in the film the way I did?

I just saw the film yesterday evening. My parents sent the DVD for my 1-year-old daughter Anna.

I realize that Disney/Pixar probably intended no Christian message in Finding Nemo, but I saw one there anyway. To me it was strong.

Okay . . . maybe I'm goofy.

After muttering under his breath to his father, "I hate you," Nemo swims off into the deep water against his dad's command. He is netted by a scuba diver, a dentist, who takes him to his office and places him in his saltwater aquarium.

Nemo's father begins a frantic search for his lost son.

At one point he is even, like Jonah, swallowed by a whale.

A pelican flies to the window of the dentist's office and brings Nemo (and the other captive fish) the news that Nemo's dad is searching for him, braving sharks and all sorts of other dangers.

Ultimately, encouraged by this good news, Nemo escapes from the tank and into Sydney harbor, not far beyond the dentist's window. He is reunited with his father.

I don't want to tell the whole story (I've told too much already), but I think there is some more Christian imagery near the end.

It is interesting that the pelican is an old Christian symbol of Christ's sacrificial death. See the following link for the pelican symbol: http://clawww.lmu.edu/faculty/fjust/Koch-ChristianSymbols.htm

What do you all think?

At any rate, I think it would be a great tool for teaching kids about the love of God in Christ.

Here's the pelican symbol:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 10:11:45 PM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 01:37:10 AM »

Linus,

I very much enjoyed Finding Nemo, and although I saw allusions to Jonah and the leviathan and the Prodigal Son, I didn't know about the pelican.  The thing that really surprised me was how much I found I cared about all of the animated characters.  I hope this will become a children's classic.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 01:43:49 AM »

Got the DVD for my grandaughters and it won't play in my DVD player, but plays in the Play Station 2, go figure.

They love it.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 08:36:08 AM »

Wow a grandpa who plays PS2!!

I hope I'm that cool when I get old Smiley

Bobby
LatinTrad

www.unavoce.org www.christendom.edu

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 09:52:23 AM »

Pie pellicane, Jesu Domine
Me immundum munda tuo sanguine
Cujus una stilla salvum facere
Totum mundum quit ab omni scelere.

--St. Thomas Aquinas  Smiley

(edited for typos)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 09:53:21 AM by LatinTrad » Logged
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 10:14:08 AM »

(edited for typos)

Sounds good. Can you provide an English translation for those of us who never bothered to take Latin (regrettably)?

Hey, LatinTrad!

I just noticed your www.christendom.edu thing.

Are you somehow associated with Christendom College in Front Royal, Virginia?

I live in Woodstock now, and I used to live in Front Royal, right down the street from Randolph Macon Academy! In fact, my daughter Anna was born at Warren County Memorial Hospital just over a year ago.

I have a couple of friends who are alumnists of Christendom.

Nice school!  Grin
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 10:17:47 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 12:19:49 PM »

Latin, Russian, Greek please give us a break, we are not all linguists.

Give me a "Pepsi. cheeseburger & chips".

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
LatinTrad

www.unavoce.org www.christendom.edu

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 02:05:06 PM »

(edited for typos)

Sounds good. Can you provide an English translation for those of us who never bothered to take Latin (regrettably)?

Hey, LatinTrad!

I live in Woodstock now, and I used to live in Front Royal, right down the street from Randolph Macon Academy! In fact, my daughter Anna was born at Warren County Memorial Hospital just over a year ago.

Nice school!  Grin

Thanks, Linus!  I am a graduate of Christendom, and I decided to put the website on there because I think it is the best school in the US.  I grew to love the Shenandoah Valley, but unfortunately I am back up in my home town of NY now.  Whom do you know? Smiley

The verse from Adoro Te goes like this (I thought of it when I saw the discussion of the Pellican):

Merciful Pellican, Lord Jesus
Cleanse me, the unlean one, with Thy blood
Of which one drop would suffice
To save the world entirely from wickedness

It is a reference to the mother Pelican's practice of piercing her own breast (in the absence of other food) and allowing her young to drink her own blood.

God bless!

LatinTrad
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 02:22:49 PM »

Heraldry neeping:

The formal name in for the pelican image is "A pelican in her piety" or sometimes "A pelican vulning (wounding) herself".  It was believed that the mother pelican would feed her chicks with her own blood, thus the image was related to Jesus' wounds for humanity's benefit.

Back when I was in the Mediaeval recreation groups, I was an assistant herald.  

end neeping

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 02:24:04 PM »

Oh yes, my two oldest children have seen "Finding Nemo" with my daughter's godmother.  They loved it.  I hope to see it soon... I think Grandma wants to give it to them for Christmas.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2003, 03:02:03 PM »

Does every SCAdian become Orthodox...it sure seems that way.

Yes, I too participated in the SCA from 94-97...never went to Pennsic, though

-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 03:14:25 PM »

Well, SCAdian though I was (And Marklander) I haven't become EO yet!  Cheesy

And what was your SCA name and persona?

Ebor (who's been to a few Pennsics (though I never fought in any) and know's how to cook for 20 on an open fire.)

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 03:37:48 PM »

To tell the truth, I wasn't that serious about it.  I'm actually not sure if the local canton ever registered my name or not.  It was Alasdair Mor mac Cormaic mhic Fearchair, but I usually went by Alasdair Mor from Dunvegan(village on the Isle of Skye), born 984.  He was a blacksmith and something of a bard.

What about you?

-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2003, 09:24:06 PM »

(edited for typos)

Hey, LatinTrad!

Nice school!  Grin

Thanks, Linus!  I am a graduate of Christendom, and I decided to put the website on there because I think it is the best school in the US.  I grew to love the Shenandoah Valley, but unfortunately I am back up in my home town of NY now.  Whom do you know? Smiley

The verse from Adoro Te goes like this (I thought of it when I saw the discussion of the Pellican):

Merciful Pellican, Lord Jesus
Cleanse me, the unlean one, with Thy blood
Of which one drop would suffice
To save the world entirely from wickedness

It is a reference to the mother Pelican's practice of piercing her own breast (in the absence of other food) and allowing her young to drink her own blood.

God bless!

LatinTrad

Small world! I will send you a pm regarding the folks I know. I'm not sure they would want me posting their info on the net.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2003, 04:30:43 PM »

To tell the truth, I wasn't that serious about it.  I'm actually not sure if the local canton ever registered my name or not.  It was Alasdair Mor mac Cormaic mhic Fearchair, but I usually went by Alasdair Mor from Dunvegan(village on the Isle of Skye), born 984.  He was a blacksmith and something of a bard.

What about you?

I was in it for some years.  Peregrynne Windryder, 11th century Danelaw (so I could have Scottish/Norse/Anglo-Saxon mix) , Maker of songs, cook and herald amoung other things.  Barony of Bakhail, East Kingdom.  A bard?  So you sing too?  Smiley

Ebor

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2003, 12:57:31 AM »

So you sing too?

Not very well I'm afraid, but I enjoy it. Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2003, 11:23:30 PM »

I did a little research.. your area is the SCAdian Canton of Falcon Cree now.  I know of Dunvegan as it's mentioned in "McCrimmon's Lament"  If you ever sang with bardic circles or such, and heard a song about the Saxon Shield Wall.. that's one of mine..I did the music a friend wrote the words...  Smiley

Ebor

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2003, 11:29:27 PM »

It was Falcon Cree then, but the area I lived in (Pickens county, which borders Greenville county) is now the Canton of St. Georges.  I know the contact at http://acorn.atlantia.sca.org/seneschl.htm#St.Georges.  I don't remember his real name, but IIRC he is a massage therapist.  One of the polyamourists(there were several in Falcon Cree, the primary reason I quit) I believe.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: