OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:53:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music and Ridding things from your life?  (Read 27841 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »

Give up listening to Pink Floyd?  Nope, not gonna happen.
After that I will never forget admonishing one of my neoOrthodox priests after he had given his teenage son a portable CD player for their new style Christmas. This manufactured device was then carried into the next liturgy and played around with, while a Grateful Dead album of songs was inside it. What an abomination.
This is going to be an historic moment, but I'm going to agree with you here. The only music which should be sung in the Church is liturgical music. Note, though, that I say "in the Church." What one listens to at home or at work is held to entirely different standards. Grateful Dead are certainly talented musicians who create pieces of artistic beauty, and therefore are good to hear. However, they should never be played in the Church, nor any other music which is not from the Liturgy or other prayers of the Church. My priest does enforce this strictly, and on the occasions when some of us forget, he quickly starts singing a liturgical song very loudly, to remind us what's appropriate.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »

While the Greatful Dead are/were talented musicians, the lyrics to their songs definitely were influenced by copius amounts of drugs & new age philosophy. Not to mention the secular bandwagon that followed them around everywhere. Come on, it wasn't just for the music. And sadly I have to agree with H-F on this too. Church is for worship not I-pods, cellphones and other distractions.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2009, 01:48:20 PM »

My priest does enforce this strictly, and on the occasions when some of us forget, he quickly starts singing a liturgical song very loudly, to remind us what's appropriate.
Is that why he does that? I always thought it was just because he enjoyed liturgical music.
Of course, he does sing b/c he likes it, especially when getting ready or closing down the church, but now I'm glad I'm aware of that fact so that I can recognize when I'm doing something wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2009, 07:26:40 PM »

My priest does enforce this strictly, and on the occasions when some of us forget, he quickly starts singing a liturgical song very loudly, to remind us what's appropriate.
Is that why he does that? I always thought it was just because he enjoyed liturgical music.
Of course, he does sing b/c he likes it, especially when getting ready or closing down the church, but now I'm glad I'm aware of that fact so that I can recognize when I'm doing something wrong.
Yeah, it's for both reasons. Cheesy

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2009, 11:22:32 PM »

Does he care if it's in the Narthex/Bookstore or the Social Hall?

Also, I found out that one of the major distribution centers for Musician's Friend (dot com) is just 20 miles away, so I'm thinking about going down there to see if I can get the Les Paul Special II. I decided on it since most of the artists I listen to use or have used Gibson Les Pauls... And i've heard it's an excellent beginners guitar. It also fits the type of music I listen to more, which is sometimes metal but ranges from classic rock to alternative & hard rock... (Aerosmith, Alter Bridge, Black Label Society, Breaking Benjamin, Evanescence, GNR, KISS, Zeppelin, Linkin Park, Ozzy, Paramore, Puddle of Mudd, Seether, SOAD, Three Days Grace & Tool)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:25:19 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2009, 06:15:18 AM »

I take no issue with tool, but each of us is different, and I may at some point.  It is just hard for me to see Tool as being dangerous after having listened to the most evil and blasphemous black metal for years.  Tool has nothing on the likes of Funeral Mist, Ondskapt, Kriegsmaschine or the like.

Nonetheless, it's hard to claim that Tool is harmless when their drummer is actively summoning up spirits in the belief that they are give a message that liberates people from belief in the Christian God. From Wikipedia (I know, but it's sourced):

"Carey has laid claim to various drumming techniques that use sacred geometric figures such as the unicursal hexagram. The final product is very recognizable, fluent drumming, although to him it is much more: the official Tool website claims that Danny uses drumming as a ritual similar to occult rituals, with purposes varying from spiritual exploration to "a gateway [which] summoned a daemon he has contained…that has been delivering short parables similar to passages within The Book of Lies."
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2009, 01:16:01 PM »

Does he care if it's in the Narthex/Bookstore or the Social Hall?
Nah. It's not as big a deal there. Just like we're free to talk there, but we should still watch what we talk about, music can be played in the narthex, but it ought to be something appropriate, even if it's not liturgical.

Also, I found out that one of the major distribution centers for Musician's Friend (dot com) is just 20 miles away
Yes, I often stop by there when I'm in KC. Nice store, and they have some good deals.

Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2009, 01:24:48 AM »

I take no issue with tool, but each of us is different, and I may at some point.  It is just hard for me to see Tool as being dangerous after having listened to the most evil and blasphemous black metal for years.  Tool has nothing on the likes of Funeral Mist, Ondskapt, Kriegsmaschine or the like.

Nonetheless, it's hard to claim that Tool is harmless when their drummer is actively summoning up spirits in the belief that they are give a message that liberates people from belief in the Christian God. From Wikipedia (I know, but it's sourced):

"Carey has laid claim to various drumming techniques that use sacred geometric figures such as the unicursal hexagram. The final product is very recognizable, fluent drumming, although to him it is much more: the official Tool website claims that Danny uses drumming as a ritual similar to occult rituals, with purposes varying from spiritual exploration to "a gateway [which] summoned a daemon he has contained…that has been delivering short parables similar to passages within The Book of Lies."

Whether he does that or not, it doesn't work on me.  Smiley

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Hopeful Faithful
How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?

Faith: In transition to the Russian old Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Strong Russian Old Pomorsky (Stranniki)

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2009, 01:42:36 AM »

Whether he does that or not, it doesn't work on me.

Good health to everyone!

OrthodoxFairyQueen, more might influence us than is realized.

Forgive, brother John

HIS Judgment Cometh, And That Right Soon! Mark 13:35

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2009, 08:18:27 AM »

I would say that personally, I don't care what the drummer in Tool does... I recently bought an electric guitar and one of the songs I'm learning is Vicarious by Tool. However, I DO NOT like the lyrics of the song. I also don't care about the drumming, it's the electric guitar I'm focused on. I actually have an electric guitar only version of the song. (or at least, a version w/o the singing)

Most rock songs IMO are masterpieces when it comes to the guitar, but not so much when it comes to the lyrics. Same for country music. There is a lot of country music out there that are masterpieces if you take out the words.
Hopeful Faithful
How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?

Faith: In transition to the Russian old Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Strong Russian Old Pomorsky (Stranniki)

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2009, 03:40:40 PM »

Gene Simmons with his makeup looks demonic. Modern music is nothing less than an idol. I noticed years ago that the protestants embraced the worldly music also. Young people like rock music so their church used the same instruments and sound but just gave them what they call Christian lyrics which they seem to think makes it ok. Now they have Christian acid-rock, Christian punk rock, etc. What deception. For neoOrthodox to be inclined in the direction of worldly things (whether music or otherwise) is imagination rather than reality. If you ask me we all are in a lot of trouble. The truth is that computer use kills people. I am in transition, like a catechumen, so I am just learning. I see no example of modern style music in real Orthodoxy, but there are many Orthodox teachings against it.

It sounds like the old Methodist Blue Laws (some of which still survived in the Nazarene Church until the last couple of decades), or the Amish restrictions, or the old-fashioned restrictions we read about in books: no acting, no laughing on Sunday, no playing on Sunday, etc.

The Methodist, Nazarene and Amish all lost any hint of real worship, I do believe like them. Everyone gets a few things right though, that is why none of us will have any excuses in the end, for we all really understand what is right or not. However, we each make our choices.

Decades ago the Moscow Patriarchate and ROCOR lifted the anathema on the Old Believers, Old Belief is and always has been Orthodox, regardless of the arbitrariness or worldly style modern Orthodox.

There are Saints who were polygamists; can God not save a chess-playing person as well?

God saves those who repent from sin, are washed and thereby become unsinned.

Forgive, brother John

HIS Judgment Cometh, And That Right Soon! Mark 13:35

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2009, 04:41:20 PM »

Hopeful, you only strike me as a radical, not as a traditionalist. I'm sorry, but your views on games, computers, non-Orthodox music etc... is VERY radical and personally I don't think it's supported by any of the Church Fathers.

Think about it, measure your beliefs against those of Church Fathers, Orthodox Saints and modern Orthodox faithful. Are your beliefs out of line with these?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2009, 11:00:16 AM »

Hopeful, you only strike me as a radical, not as a traditionalist. I'm sorry, but your views on games, computers, non-Orthodox music etc... is VERY radical and personally I don't think it's supported by any of the Church Fathers.

Think about it, measure your beliefs against those of Church Fathers, Orthodox Saints and modern Orthodox faithful. Are your beliefs out of line with these?
Don't bother.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2009, 11:12:03 AM »

Don't bother.

I know, but I've been down the road of radicalism before, it's not fun and doesn't lead to anything good. I just hope and pray he realizes this and catches himself before he really gets too deep in his hole.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2009, 11:13:45 AM »

Give up listening to Pink Floyd?  Nope, not gonna happen.

I'm with you, username!  Wink

If only some of the self-assured would listen to the spiritual guidance of Pink Floyd against plani/prelest (spiritual delusion).

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade
your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange
a walk on part in the war
for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl,
year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2009, 01:38:02 PM »

If only some of the self-assured would listen to the spiritual guidance of Pink Floyd against plani/prelest (spiritual delusion).

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade
your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange
a walk on part in the war
for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl,