OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:52:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books & Bookstore for parishes  (Read 666 times) Average Rating: 0
DDSaltzman

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: July 28, 2009, 09:48:24 PM »

Hi, I have discussed with Father Chris the need for the sharing of what I have discovered about Orthodox books!  There are more than I can get read!!  I also am the manager of the Cathedral bookstore in Birmingham.  I have spent hours looking for certain books only to discover they are out of print and as such they are VERY expensive on Amazon, etc.  I hope that I can post the information that I have discovered so that others do not spend a lot of time only to discover what I found.  Anyone in the deacon program can attest that this session's book list has one book "Elements of Faith" that sold for $25-29 at the bookstore.  Today it is out of print and IF you can find one they are $130-295 on the after market.  My thought on this would be that somewhere there is a copy that be "loaned/purchased" for a reasonable price so that the study can be accomplished by the program candidate.   I also would like to have suggestions for additional books for our bookstore that others have found interesting and discovered truths about Orthodoxy. 
DDSaltzman

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »

As mentioned there have been two out of print books that were just researched.   "Elements of Faith: An Introduction to Orthodox Theology" by Christos Yannaras and "Byzantine Daily Worship".  The BDW is a thousand page book which details the daily services for the church year.  This book is printed 2,000 copies at a time by a small publisher in NJ.  He has passed on the business to his son who is attempting to put $40,000 for supplies to print the next printing of this book.  This book is an important book that provides a reference that is used on a weekly basis for the church.  This just is a small example of the theological books that have been printed and not reprinted.  Thank you for your assistance in finding/supplying book information.  DS
Tags: Deacon program books  theology books  out of print books  good books for booksto bookstore 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: