OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 05:16:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Bots  (Read 1371 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: July 27, 2009, 09:02:39 PM »

I don't know so much about this topic, so maybe others here could enlighten me:

Is it possible to create a bot that would parse people's posts line by line and respond to them with what appears to be wikipeadia articles that are only vaguely related to the original topic?  To mix it up a bit, could the programme also included random references to an ex-wife, secularist conspiracies and when all else fails post pictures of Nazis? 

Probable? possible?
 Νεκτάριος, it's not fair to ialmisry that you bait him with this post, as is so clear you are doing, and his inappropriate reply is the only one that gets penalized.  Therefore, for engaging in such harassment, you will share in the same penalty that we just gave ialmisry.

If you think this warning wrong, please appeal my decision to either cleveland or Veniamin.

- PeterTheAleut
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:42:37 PM »

Pretty much anything is possible.  Just look at XRumer, it can register for multiple free email accounts, then register on a forum, and it will create a thread conversation with itself, asking questions about a product with one user and answering the questions with another (timed in random waves). 

What you are asking of it could almost completely be done with a script (bash could take care of most of it, perl would be ideal).  Using a text based web browser or "cat"ing a thread could easily allow a script to scan ("grep") for certain words, either ones stored in a database, in a file, or base it solely on the number of times the word occurs.  Polling wikipedia is simple enough too.  Even Word comes now with the ability to "summarise" a document by cropping out sentences and giving you a select amount of sentences.  So that can be done as well.

Making the bot appear more human-like can get difficult, stock statements could be stored and inserted into posts.  As could pictures.  The more human interaction would make this easier, but then it cuts down on the usefulness.

AI is advancing at incredible rates though, and within the next few years, we will run into bots-from-Hell.  Once it is more mainstream, bots will become more and more autonomous and be able to carry on disturbingly coherent conversations.  In fact, they could one day be amongst some of the best posters on a forum.  laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 11:19:28 PM »

Is it possible to create a bot that would parse people's posts line by line and respond to them with what appears to be wikipeadia articles that are only vaguely related to the original topic?  To mix it up a bit, could the programme also included random references to an ex-wife, secularist conspiracies and when all else fails post pictures of Nazis? 

Probable? possible?

Spineless as always, Nektarios.  No wonder you're having such a tough time out on the tundra.

Removed quotation from private section. -- Nebelpfade

In fact, they could one day be amongst some of the best posters on a forum.  laugh
Thank you.
 Do not post quotations from the private, unmoderated sections into the public, moderated sections.

If you believe this was given in error, please contact Fr. Chris.

-- Nebelpfade
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:27:05 AM by Nebelpfade » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:58:39 AM »

Spineless as always, Nektarios.  No wonder you're having such a tough time out on the tundra.

I'm fascinated by the way that AI is mimicking human intelligence.  A mere query.  I'm not sure about trouble on the tundra.  Actually I wish I was on the tundra right now.  Tomorrow's forecasted high is 114 F.  Not fun.  Kiss
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:44:46 AM »

Probable? possible?

Removed quotation from private section. -- Nebelpfade

In fact, they could one day be amongst some of the best posters on a forum.  laugh
Thank you.
 Do not post quotations from the private, unmoderated sections into the public, moderated sections.

If you believe this was given in error, please contact Fr. Chris.

-- Nebelpfade

Oops.  I forgot my response that Romania is going to legalise incest between adults was taken as a political response.  Or was it the reference to Armin Meiwes, the cannibal of Essen (German:"to eat," usually only with a human subject, not object).

Sorry about the mistake.  Sorrow.  Human emotion.  Fascinating.

For the curious: I brought back an example of Nektaros' wit which parralled his "mere query" here.  There, however, he did have the
testicular virility" to include my name.

I'm fascinated by the way that AI is mimicking human intelligence.  A mere query.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/Daleks_appearence.jpg

I'm not sure about trouble on the tundra.  Actually I wish I was on the tundra right now.  Tomorrow's forecasted high is 114 F.  Not fun.  Kiss

What temperature was it in Sodom?  As my old priest used to say "a foretaste of things to come."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »

It looks very much as if the only reason this thread is open is so that Νεκτάριος can bait ialmisry into submitting more inappropriate posts; therefore, this thread is now locked pending further moderatorial review.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: