OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 01:25:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers on the Reposed of Archpriest James Kenna  (Read 1931 times) Average Rating: 0
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: July 27, 2009, 02:26:41 PM »

Fr James Kenna, 74, former pastor of St Elias Antiochian Orthodox Church (Austin Texas) and Mission Priest for St Sophia Antiochian Orthodox Church(Dripping Springs, Texas). Father James was fatally injured in a one-car accident Sunday Afternoon while driving home from a visitation.  Please pray that our Lord will grant rest to his soul and comfort to his family--his wife, his two daughters, his son and his grandchildren. 

Father James was the father of many churches in the Central Texas area--he was, in many ways, the father of St John the Forerunner Antiochian Orthodox Church in Cedar Park Texas, formerly known as the "Northwest Mission",  which was founded through his support and assistance in its earliest days. He also has been influencial in establishing missions in  Dripping Springs TX (in his "retirement"), San Antonio Txas area and Fredricksburg TX.

Father James was never one to rest on his laurels but even in retirement helped to establish missions.  He once said he had a vision of Orthodox Churches and missions  along IH 35 from San Antonio to Canada and he did everything possible in his life to make that happen.  He served in the Diocese of Witchita and Mid America as one its Deans and the Archdiocese as a Director of the St Phillip's Prayer Discipline until his retirement when Fr Joseph Huneycutt took over the directorship.

O Lord Jesus Christ, grant rest to the soul of Thy departed servant, the Archpriest James.

Eternal Memory
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »

May his memory be eternal!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:59:55 PM »

Memory Eternal!

Love never fails.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »

Бог да му душу опрости, и Лака му Земља била Царство Насељивање Да Би Добијо....Амин
May His Memory Be Eternal..Мay the Lord Count Him Amongst His Rightous...Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:37:05 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2WMhaogDsI

Memeory Eternal

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »

He was such a kind man. I first "met" him around 11 years ago on a religious message board. He answered so many questions for me when I was first exploring the Orthodox Church. I was fortunate to be able to meet him in person later while he was at St. Elias. May his memory be eternal.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:42:50 PM »

Memory Eternal

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 09:43:25 PM »

May Father James' Memory be Eternal.  May the Lord comfort and strengthen Father James' family during this difficult period.

Amen!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 09:51:10 PM »

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.  And let light perpetual shine upon him.  A hymn is befitting to thee, O God, in Sion and vow shall be paid to Thee in Jeruslaem.  Hear my prayer, O Lord; all flesh shall come to Thee.

Memory eternal!

I never met Fr. James though I had heard of him and from what you describe I wish I had.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 10:08:20 AM »

Memory eternal.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Cosmos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

أيها الرب يسوع المسيح ابن الله, إرحمني أنا الخاطئ

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 10:46:08 AM »

I knew Fr. James personally.  He was a very good hearted, kind spirited and intelligent man of great learning and immense personal achievement, who touched the lives of many, many people in his local community and around the world.  He was the senior ranking Archpriest of the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America, who always stood or sat immediately to Bishop Basil's left at virtually every gathering of the Archdiocese's ranking clergymen.

Bishop Basil presided over the Funeral Services and Divine Liturgy for Fr. James this past week at the St. Sophia Church in Dripping Springs, TX, where Fr. James was the Pastor from its inception until his untimely death last Sunday.  A police investigation is ongoing regarding the possibility that he was run off the road by another driver while on his way home.

Fr. James was greatly respected and loved by many, both among Orthodox and non-Orthodox alike. He will be greatly missed.

"May the soul of our Father among the Saints, the Archpriest James, through the Mercy of God, rest in peace, and may Perpetual Light shine upon him.  May he find that place of verdure and of beauty where the Just repose, and may his Memory be Eternal."

+Cosmos

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, ἐλέησόν με!
jnials

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »

I've posted some rememberences on Father James at http://www.worrygeek.com/rememberences-of-father-james/.

Father James had interesting ideas of "retirement".  He did more in his retirement than many priests do in their lifetime.  I've known Father James my entire life as an Orthodox Christian (even now I have trouble using the past tense about him, he was so vital) and even I was surprised since I hadn't been to Saint Sophia's since they built their new sanctuary.  For a "retirement project", they have a pretty good sized adobe/mission style sanctuary done in a cross pattern complete with icons/iconostas/etc.

He founded numerous missions, including assisting in founding 1 OCA mission, assisting the local ethiopian mission, churches in Florida, NJ, and all over Texas.  I don't remember the exact date of his ordination, but it was the late 60's making him the senior priest in the diocese, hence his place at Bishop Basil's left.  Bishop Basil spoke very movingly of the loss that we all felt, but also the comfort we could take as he described the traditional understanding of the soul's journey after death.  He reminded us that as Father James guided us and led us to salvation in life, it was now our duty as his spiritual children to live lives worthy to be his defense at the dread judgement seat of Christ, as he had long ago accepted responsibility for our souls.

I believe I counted 20 priests, 5 deacons, numerous subdeacons serving.  He would have loved it.  All who knew Father James knew he did love ceremony. Smiley

As you pray now for the repose of Father James' soul, please also remember his Khouriya Anne.  His untimely passing has caused her great pain, and as the Mother of God and the people of St. Sophia and her family work to support, please also support her with your prayers.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 07:40:48 PM »

Memory eternal.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 12:35:11 AM »

May the memory of the servant of God, the Archpriest James, be eternal!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »

Memory eternal! Christ is risen!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: