OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:28:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Documentary on Coptic Hermit Fr. Lazarus  (Read 5564 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: July 26, 2009, 06:32:42 AM »

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKXf_7Tt0-c

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag6WE__82Q8

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 11:06:09 AM »

From the director of C13H16CINO, a truly remarkable story of the last Anchorite, Father Lazarus El Anthony, a coptic hermit who has been living in solitude on the Mount Colzim (the mountain of st Anthony's cave, Egypt) for several years. He is Australian and worked as a university lecturer teaching literature and philosophy.

He spent about forty-years of his life being an atheist deriving his philosophy from Marxism.
After his mother was diagnosed with incurable cancer and died, he abandoned his life in Australia and went in quest of God and freedom. His pilgrimage, brought him ultimately to live as Coptic monk. He met H.H. Pope Shenouda III, who eventually lead him to where he is today.

I copied the above from the youtube page, for those who want to know something about the videos before clicking onto the links.  I'm pretty sure this is the remarkable monk we saw in the Extreme Pilgrim BBC videos.  Thank you for finding this EA! 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 11:09:11 AM by Salpy » Logged

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »

I'm pretty sure this is the remarkable monk we saw in the Extreme Pilgrim BBC videos. 

Yes, same monk.

Btw, I don't understand why the producers of this documentary entitled it 'The Last Anchorite.' Abouna Lazarus is not the only living Coptic Orthodox anchorite, and certainly, he is not nor will be the last...

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »

Beautiful. I love the music. I couldn't understand the language, but if this is Egypt, do they refer to God as "Allah"?

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »

Yes, this is filmed in Egypt. Abouna Lazarus is a hermit of St Antony's Coptic Orthodox Monastery located near the Red Sea in Egypt.

"Allah" is simply the Arabic word for God. The segment you are referring to is an Arabic reading from one of the Psalms, which precedes the Gospel reading. The next bit of chant you hear (from 8:05 of part 1 and onwards) is in the Coptic language.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:04:16 PM »

I found this yesterday on another forum and I really enjoyed watching it. Very beautiful and informative production though I agree the name is a little weird.

Fr. Lazarus is the monk that is on Extreme Pilgrim.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 07:42:33 AM »

Btw, I don't understand why the producers of this documentary entitled it 'The Last Anchorite.'

Isn't he the last anchorite to be living around St. Anthony's monastery?
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »

He's the only anchorite in St Antony's monastery at present. That doesn't make him the only anchorite (I can think of about 4 others off the top of my head, and they're only the ones that are known--these known ones testify to many others whose names they don't/can't disclose). And I don't see how that makes him the "last" either. The latest anchorite (of St Antony's monastery), yes, but who is to say the last? I realise 'last' can in a sense be synonymous to 'latest'--but that's not the obvious sense in which the common person is likely to take it. And the title does not make any reference to his being the last of St Antony's monastery, so nor is the obvious intent of the title to be understood with reference to that monastery alone.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 11:46:39 AM »

I watched a documentary about Timkat in Ethiopia a while back. Lots of great shots, several interviews with clergy, inside access to various off-limits holy sites, etc. It concluded with a visit to the Debre Birhan Selassie church, where the presenter explained that the icon of the three old men (the Holy Trinity) was a depiction of the three wise men, whose visit to the Christ-Child is what Timkat (Epiphany) is all about  Roll Eyes So I wouldn't put it past the makers of such documentaries to be ignorant of things a simple wikipedia search could inform them of. I just assumed that if St. Anthony's had previously had several anchorites living in the area, the fact that there is only one now would explain the title.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »

The title was probably for dramatic effect.   Smiley

Tags: Extreme Pilgrim video Coptic Orthodox Church Monasticism asceticism Fr. Lazarus 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: