OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:47:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evangelism of the Yazidi, the Ahl e-Haqq, and the Alevi  (Read 1024 times) Average Rating: 0
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« on: July 25, 2009, 01:33:40 AM »

The Yazdan religion is extremely mysterious. They are called Satanists (they aren't in the popular sense), and I don't know of anyone who has written about them. Since they are mainly in Iraq and Syria, I was wondering if there have ever been any attempts to evangelise these ancient people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazd%C3%A2nism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alevi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahl-e_Haqq
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazidi

I know some people have a thing about wiki but I couldn't find anymore than a couple of paragraphs anywhere else.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:43:46 AM »

The only one of the above that I have heard of is the Yazidi.  I was actually acquainted with one during my college days.  It's my understanding that they have been very persecuted and Armenia is one of the few places where they have really been safe from persecution.  It's my understanding that they are just left alone.  I don't know of any efforts to evangelize them.  Maybe vasnTearn would know more about this.

Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 01:50:32 AM »

I know that there is a minority Yazidi population in Armenia. I think there's also one on one of the EU councils. Considering where they live, I bet that what you are saying is the case. From what I understand, they are extremely ethnocentric (no converts accepted, no marrying outside clans. They teach that they are direct descendents of Adam, but not Eve. Femenists will despise their theology on this subject), so evangelisation would be near impossible. But then, is our God a Master at doing impossible things?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 01:53:09 AM by Pilgrim » Logged

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 02:13:54 AM »

A post by ialmisry and a response to it were moved to the private forum:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,22283.msg341445.html#msg341445

Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 01:56:33 PM »

I'm getting a window saying that the link is "missing or off limits". Whats up with that?

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »

I'm getting a window saying that the link is "missing or off limits". Whats up with that?

Unmoderated Forums -- We have sections dedicated to Politics and polemics concerning Chalcedon that you may access.  These forums are not moderated at all and require an admin to grant you access. Please contact Fr. Chris for more information.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 02:32:49 PM »

Oh ok thanks.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »

Isa has his own special thread in the private forum. 

If you want Isa's link to the information on the Alevis, here it is:

http://books.google.com/books?id=x-U-AAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=asian+mystery

Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 07:03:20 PM »

Thanks Salpy! Smiley

Tags: Paganism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: