OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 06:35:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My ninjaly awesome intro.  (Read 13737 times) Average Rating: 0
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« on: July 09, 2010, 08:09:03 AM »

Hello everyone! As you can probably tell by my number of posts, I'm new! I've also become very interested in Orthodoxy and I want to research and find out if it is indeed the true faith. It started when on another message board I talked with other Orthodox Christians on what they believe and read some of their posts. For me, Orthodoxy is so...well, different from the Western churches. I honestly believe that Orthodox Christians don't even think the same way that Western Christians do. So I've set myself on a journey to find out the truth. Me and my wife are currently attending a Presbyterian church. We've decided to study what Presbyterians believe and go through a class on it as well as learn what the Orthodox believe. I think that I have quite an interesting journey ahead of me.

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:20:46 AM »

Welcome to the one holy catholic and apostolic forum Ninjaly AwesomeTongue Grin
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:19:06 AM »

welcome to the forum!  I was Presbyterian before I was Orthodox.  I recommend going to your closest Orthodox Church and speaing to the priest about "inquirers classes".  they had these classes when I was first interested in the Church.  it would be good for you to attend Divine Liturgy, to get a taste of Eastern Worship.....it's the most interesting experience in the world.  Parishes, for the most part, offer a small Parish library or bookstore.  you need all you can get, to find out about it.

good luck and God be with you on your journey!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:27:10 AM »

Welcome to the Convert Issues Forum, Nijaly Awesome!

I hope that you will find the Convert Issues forum to be place where you as an inquirer may ask their questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum.  WE try to provide an understanding of the basic teachings and practices of the Orthodox churches. WE try to keep our answers direct and simple with sources if possible,

For those who are converts, this forum is a safe place to discuss issues that arise after one converts in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. WE try to avoid jurisdiction debates and you may find a the topic that will be split and sent the appropriate OC.Net forum to continue the discussion or debate if it strays from the guidelines of our Forum Purpose.

Again I want to welcome you warmly to the Convert Issues Forum and hope you will enjoy your time as a member here.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator 

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »

I honestly believe that Orthodox Christians don't even think the same way that Western Christians do.

It's one of the things we strive to overcome.  Wink

Welcome!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »

Welcome to the forum!  Many of us in here had interesting journeys to Orthodoxy.  Once I made it, as I explained to my first priest what it was I thought I believed, he said "You're Orthodox; you just didn't know it until now."  I've since run into several people with the exact same story.  Spend some time reflecting on what you think your core beliefs are.  You may well be surprised at how Orthodox they already are.  And if they are not, you will have a quantifiable measure of what being Orthodox means.

Peace!
Ninjaly Awesome

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 06:24:33 AM »

Hey everyone, thanks for welcoming me here. I also plan on contacting a local church soon.

The two big issues I'm having with possibly converting to EO is baptismal regeneration and justification. I've been thinking about starting a thread on baptism in the EO-Protestant discussion board because I imagine it would throw this thread way off topic and be rather long.

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »

Hi Ninjaly Awesome, and welcome to the forum!

I was baptized Presbyterian, too (in a PC-USA congregation). Would be interesting to have an exchange on regeneration and justification with you and others, although I am leaving for Ukraine tomorrow and I am not sure how often I will be online till July 31.

Love never fails.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 12:00:23 AM »

Me and my wife are currently attending a Presbyterian church. We've decided to study what Presbyterians believe and go through a class on it as well as learn what the Orthodox believe. I think that I have quite an interesting journey ahead of me.
I can't think of anything further from Orthodoxy (within Christianity) than Calvinism. It should be interesting for you guys.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Ninjaly Awesome

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:41:45 PM »

To be honest, it is difficult for my wife. She was quite shocked and saddened that I've been considering Orthodoxy. She converted out of the Seventh Day Adventist church to become Presbyterian and really hates legalism. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?

Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »

I was Presbyterian (USA) right before becoming Orthodox.  Before that, I was a lifelong Nazarene, though after I moved to Wisconsin, I attended different churches.  I thought I finally found a comfortable home in the PCUSA, until I discovered Orthodoxy.  Smiley

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 09:35:46 AM »

She converted out of the Seventh Day Adventist church to become Presbyterian and really hates legalism.

Then she should love Orthodoxy! Although individuals certainly can act or think "legalistically," the Orthodox Church is probably the least legalistic I've ever seen.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 10:02:07 AM »

To be honest, it is difficult for my wife. She was quite shocked and saddened that I've been considering Orthodoxy. She converted out of the Seventh Day Adventist church to become Presbyterian and really hates legalism. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?

Mathew Galletin is former SDA, his podcasts and books might help her out a bit. I met a former SDA at a conference once some 3 years ago in Chicago. And so there are a number of former SDA's that are now Orthodox.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 10:17:01 AM »

Hey everyone, thanks for welcoming me here. I also plan on contacting a local church soon.

The two big issues I'm having with possibly converting to EO is baptismal regeneration and justification. I've been thinking about starting a thread on baptism in the EO-Protestant discussion board because I imagine it would throw this thread way off topic and be rather long.

In the area of Justification, read this book by the Anglican Alister Mcgrath:
http://www.amazon.com/Iustitia-Dei-Christian-Doctrine-Justification/dp/0521533899 (Iustitia Dei: A History of the Christian Doctrine of Justification, Third Edition)

It mostly looks at the issue from the western fathers and western tradition(and so another book needs to be made about the eastern fathers and tradition. Alister Mcgrath has no expertise in the area of the Eastern Fathers and the Eastern Tradition and so you will need to read someone else for that.). But it is still helpful. It's helpful because you will see that some of the principles you need in order to have a Lutheran or Calvinistic Reformed view of the issue is absent or missing. And so, Justification meant something different to the ancient christian world.....in this case the ancient western christian world.

In regards to the issue of Baptism, well, the Church(both east and west) always advocated Baptismal Regeneration.
This Roman Catholic blog has a very good article about the issue:
http://www.calledtocommunion.com/2010/06/the-church-fathers-on-baptismal-regeneration/ (The Church Fathers on Baptismal Regeneration)

I hope this helps!

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:24:38 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Ninjaly Awesome

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »

Thanks for the replies. They really do help out a lot. I'm trying to figure out what the real difference is between the beliefs on salvation between the Orthodox and the Protestants. I know baptismal regeneration is a start, but I'm wondering if when Protestants and Orthodox discuss salvation it's more of a game of semantics that share the same meanings but with different words (i.e. Protestants using the word "sanctification" and Orthodox using the word "theosis").

Thankful
Elder

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »

NA, I really liked this article when I was learning about how Protestants and Orthodox see salvation differently.  Maybe it would help you as well.  http://www.antiochian.org/assets/asset_manager/da42e6049df1d08bff1865c1ac19e759.pdf

jsenner

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:16 AM »

I grew up in a very strict variety of Seventh-day Adventism. To really be Orthodox is definitely not to be legalistic, though there are enough "rules" in Orthodoxy that it can look scary to a former SDA. Since your wife has gotten past a lot of the doctrinal hurdles already, just attending services and talking with the clergy should help. There is also a book written by former Adventist Matthew Gallatin, called "Thirsting for God in a land of Shallow Wells," which was immensely helpful to me and a few other former Adventists.

Jeremiah
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: