OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:00:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MEETING OF ARMENIAN CHURCH AND RUSSIAN ORTHODOX LEADERS  (Read 1576 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: July 23, 2009, 07:38:37 PM »

MEETING OF ARMENIAN CHURCH AND RUSSIAN ORTHODOX LEADERS

Last week, His Holiness Karekin II, the Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, met with His Holiness Patriarch Kirill I of Moscow and All Russia.

"Your Holiness, we came here to renew the brotherly love that has existed between our peoples and our churchs for centuries.  That love is the basis of our cooperation, " His Holiness Karekin II said.  He expressed his gratitude to the Patriarch for his good will towards the Armenian community in Russia.   The two leaders discussed various important issues, including the conflict over Nagorno-Karabagh.  As a result of these discussions, it was decided that the Russian Patriarch would host a meeting between Armenian and Azeri religious leaders sometime in the near future.

Diocesan Primate Archbishop Khajag Barsamian traveled to Moscow, Russia, to accompany His Holiness Karekin II in his meeting as part of his entourage.  "I am glad that Vehapar asked me to be a part of this historic moment.  The occasion allowed for our Church to reaffirm its close relationship with the Russian Orthodox Church," His Eminence said.

His Grace Bishop Yezras Nersisian, Primate of the Armenian Diocese of Russia and New Nakhichevan, invited members of the entourage to visit the construction site of the new Diocesan complex being built in Moscow.  When completed, the complex will be one of the largest Armenian religious centers in the world.

Patriarch Kirill I was consecrated as the the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church in February of this year. Prior to ascending to the patriarchal throne, Kirill was archbishop (later metropolitan) of Smolensk and Kaliningrad, and chairman of the Russian Orthodox Church's Department for External Church Relations.

This occasion marked the first time Catholicos Karekin met with Patriarch Kirill since the latter assumed his new role; the Catholicos had met with Patriarch Kirill in his previous capacities through the ecumenical movement, and with the late Patriarch Alexy, both in Russia and Armenia, on several occasions.

Prior to his election as Patriarch, then Archbishop Kirill met on several occasions with His Eminence Archbishop Khajag Barsamian.  In 2003, the Primate hosted a luncheon in his honor at the Diocesan Center in New York City.

------------------------------

I'm afraid I got the above from an e-newsletter from the Eastern Diocese and I can't find it on either the Etchmiadzin or Eastern Diocese websites.  If I find it on someplace that can be linked, I'll link it. 

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:49:19 PM »

I am glad to see this cooperation between these different communions.  May we one day be reunited with them in all things!
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 10:50:26 AM »

Good news, I so look forward to our unity. May God help us.

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:47:28 PM »

I finally got a website to link:

http://www.armenianchurch.net/news/index3.php?newsid=1168&selmonth=7&selyear=2009

There are also some cool pics:

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »

Good news, I so look forward to our unity. May God help us.

I pray that all our Orthodox brothers and sisters can be at one someday.....
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 05:18:16 PM »

Question.... Huh

Can the Armenian church really be called Orthodox ,,Don't they use the  Name Armenian Apostolic Church to describe themselfs.... Huh

I very Rarely if at all  ,Hear the name Orthodox being used by them ...But only On This Forum it seems.... police

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »

Question.... Huh

Can the Armenian church really be called Orthodox ,,Don't they use the  Name Armenian Apostolic Church to describe themselfs.... Huh

I very Rarely if at all  ,Hear the name Orthodox being used by them ...But only On This Forum it seems.... police

According to the wiki entry (which is sourced!):
The official name of the Church is the One Holy Universal Apostolic Orthodox Armenian Church

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »

I am glad to see this cooperation between these different communions.  May we one day be reunited with them in all things!

Amen!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »

AFAIK the adjective 'Apostolic' instead of 'Orthodox' was imposed to them after the Armania was conquered  by the Russia. Am I wrong?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »

AFAIK the adjective 'Apostolic' instead of 'Orthodox' was imposed to them after the Armania was conquered  by the Russia. Am I wrong?
That's the first I've ever heard of that.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 08:26:37 PM »

Now I can Believe ,the the Ethiopian Church is Orthodox and the Egyptian Coptic Church are Orthodox, Because they use it Proudly in their Titles, but the Armenians  ???not sure about Though , police It could be the latin look that throws me ..... Grin
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:34:17 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »

Amen!
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 03:02:09 AM »

I seem to recall that being stated and discussed here previously, but I can't recall where. 

I do think traditionally we referred to our faith as "Orthodox."

From St. Nerses' 24 prayers:

XIX
Bestower of mercy,
grant that I may come to Thee with orthodox faith, good works,
And with the communion of Thy Holy Body and Blood.
Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 03:11:49 AM »

Look at footnote 3 on this webpage, which cites Archbishop Baliozian:

http://erkohet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28&Itemid=23#_ftn3

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 03:31:43 AM »

Now I can Believe ,the the Ethiopian Church is Orthodox and the Egyptian Coptic Church are Orthodox, Because they use it Proudly in their Titles, but the Armenians  ???not sure about Though , police It could be the latin look that throws me ..... Grin

It's the hats, Stashko, the hats:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28603.0.html

ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 03:53:43 AM »

AFAIK the adjective 'Apostolic' instead of 'Orthodox' was imposed to them after the Armania was conquered  by the Russia. Am I wrong?

I seem to recall that being stated and discussed here previously, but I can't recall where.  

My information is a little bit different. When the Russians conquered Armenia, the name Gregorian was imposed to the Armenian Church - Armenian Gregorian or Armeno-Gregorian Church. This was not accepted by the Armenian Church herself, because her view is that it was not a church established by St. Gregorios, but by the Apostles, so the Armenians started calling their church Armenian Apostolic Church, instead of Armenian Gregorian Church.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:05:52 AM by ag_vn » Logged
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »

Yes, I'ver read this somewhere as well...can't recall where though. The Rusians told the Armenians that if they used the term "Orthodox" then they should be under the Russian Church so they started to use "Apostolic" instead. The Russian Church did put the Georgians under their control, removing the Patriarchate & even supressed the use of the Georgian language in their Liturgy.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,22418.0/topicseen.html

Stashko, nice to see you back! But you gotta get over the hats thing.  police Grin

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 12:17:28 PM »

Actually both of them meet quite often. It will be the 4th time or something like that. The recent one was about 3 weeks ago.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: