OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:55:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox in Australia acquiring abandoned Catholic, Protestant and Anglican chur  (Read 1512 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: July 23, 2009, 02:29:15 AM »

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/30915.htm

Orthodox in Australia acquiring abandoned Catholic, Protestant and Anglican churches.

Mitred Protopriest Michael Protopopov
Warrnambool, Australia – On the Sunday of the Holy Fathers of the 1st Eccumenical council, the Russian Orthodox community in the Australian city of Warrnambool celebrated their Parish feast day and a 10 year jubilee since the day the parish was converted from a historical Anglican Church to a thriving Russian Orthodox Parish. In mark of this event, Protopriest Michael Protopopov gives an interview to www.pravoslavie.ru to discuss the reasons why Catholics, Protestants and Anglicans are deserting their churches.

Your post has been modified to be consistent with forum rules on posting articles & links.  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13455.msg456852.html#msg456852

Please make every effort to comply with the rules in the future.

- Serb1389. General Fora Moderator.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:18:47 PM by serb1389 » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:53:42 AM »

In the Chicago, the OCA got its multi-million dollar on LaSalle street (a BIG real estate address here) and Christ the Savior Church for a dollar because the dying sect of the Episcopalians wanted to make sure the building stayed a Church, a REAL CHURCH.

On a recent thread I commented on coming across what I think was a Patriarchal Parish, which is now a condo called "The Church," complete with copulas.  (If it is the parish I think, all the icons etc. were shipped to Russia for a newly opened parish there).

God bless the Church in Australia!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:54:15 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
johng3110

Faith: Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: OCA

Alaverdi cathedral and monastery, in Georgia

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:18:50 AM »

Robb, this was an interesting essay.  Thank you for posting it.  The liberal Protestant churches and the liberal part of the Catholic Church overemphasized the things of this world and de-emphasized Christ.  They were so busy with being inclusive, supporting the environment and supporting social justice that they forgot about spiritual transformation in Christ.  Unsurprisingly, the liberal churches are hemorrhaging members to either secular humanism or to conservative churches.

NULL
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:18:47 AM »

In the Chicago, the OCA got its multi-million dollar on LaSalle street (a BIG real estate address here) and Christ the Savior Church for a dollar because the dying sect of the Episcopalians wanted to make sure the building stayed a Church, a REAL CHURCH.

On a recent thread I commented on coming across what I think was a Patriarchal Parish, which is now a condo called "The Church," complete with copulas.  (If it is the parish I think, all the icons etc. were shipped to Russia for a newly opened parish there).

I forgot to mention, when the Arab Orthodox here outgrew our parish, they sold to an Indian Orthodox congregation, and were quite happy that the Church would "stay Orthodox."  Since then the Arab Orthodox have opened another parish (in addition to the one they moved into) and the Indians have doubled the old parish by expansion.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 10:23:55 AM »

I pray that these churches will have a harmonious arrival of former Roman Catholic and Protestants  & non Christians into their ranks so that Orthodoxy develops and thrives better than in America.

Antiochian OC N.A.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 12:32:02 PM »

I forgot to mention, when the Arab Orthodox here outgrew our parish, they sold to an Indian Orthodox congregation, and were quite happy that the Church would "stay Orthodox."  Since then the Arab Orthodox have opened another parish (in addition to the one they moved into) and the Indians have doubled the old parish by expansion.

Serbs did also ,they sold there church at  99 st. south commercial Ave to the Ethiopian Orthodox church ,and went further south to 187 south stony lsland in Lansing ill , build a larger Byzantine church dedicated to St. Archangel Michel....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
jayjay

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 03:16:07 PM »

Good to know there is an Orthodox parish close by - only 3 hrs away! Is there a web site or a contact number??

Expect the best, Prepare for the worst!
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »

I pray that these churches will have a harmonious arrival of former Roman Catholic and Protestants  & non Christians into their ranks so that Orthodoxy develops and thrives better than in America.

Huh I think it's better to pray that America sees such hope as well, RC. Christ came for us, too. Wink

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »

Good to know there is an Orthodox parish close by - only 3 hrs away! Is there a web site or a contact number??

Hi Jayjay,

I know I'm replying well after your question, and you may have found the answer already; but, there are contact details available:

For Warrnambool: http://directory.stinnocentpress.com/viewparish.cgi?Uid=167&lang=en
For Victoria: http://www.anesti.info/orthodox-parishes-in-australia/churches-in-victoria/
For South Australia: http://www.anesti.info/orthodox-parishes-in-australia/churches-in-south-australia/

Hope this helps!

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: