Author Topic: Scientists don't read even the titles of the papers they cite  (Read 801 times)

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
  • Faith: Radio Gnostic
Scientists don't read even the titles of the papers they cite
« on: February 04, 2018, 03:22:16 PM »
From a research article:

Biologically speaking, Heydari et al. (2008) observed the most common biological characteristics of serial killers and noted that they have distinctive features like; face asymmetry, irregular ears sizes, either standing out or very small, irregular nose shape, and protruding lips.

And the reference is:

Heydari, E., Arzani, N., & Hassanzadeh, J. (2008). Mantle plume: the invisible serial killer— application to the Permian–Triassic boundary mass extinction. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 264(1), 147-162.

http://reverent.org/a_killer_reference/

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Scientists don't read even the titles of the papers they cite
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 03:58:00 PM »
Not true, sometimes they read the title.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 06:14:43 PM »
From a research article:

Biologically speaking, Heydari et al. (2008) observed the most common biological characteristics of serial killers and noted that they have distinctive features like; face asymmetry, irregular ears sizes, either standing out or very small, irregular nose shape, and protruding lips.

And the reference is:

Heydari, E., Arzani, N., & Hassanzadeh, J. (2008). Mantle plume: the invisible serial killer— application to the Permian–Triassic boundary mass extinction. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 264(1), 147-162.

http://reverent.org/a_killer_reference/

This is what happens when someone else types up your references for you in the first instance, you write Heydari (2008) and this is what you get. Citing the original error however is inexcusable.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Here comes the Easter Bugny
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:23:26 PM »
There was actually a Heydari who wrote about geology (using a "killer" metaphor) and one who wrote about serial killers in the same year?

Wow, that's almost a "Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy and Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln" level coincidence.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 09:48:23 PM »
There was actually a Heydari who wrote about geology (using a "killer" metaphor) and one who wrote about serial killers in the same year?
Can't find one.

Wow, that's almost a "Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy and Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln" level coincidence.
Similarly non-existent
It used to be said that Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy, and Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln, but, in fact, Lincoln did not have a secretary named Kennedy. His secretaries were John Hay and John G. Nicolay.
https://www.quora.com/How-did-Abraham-Lincoln-and-John-F-Kennedy-compare-and-contrast

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 01:35:40 PM »
Can't find one.

I couldn't as well, although there are candidate Heydari's who could have written a paper like this. I suspect the paper may be contained in a monograph that includes papers presented at a meeting. These are often not found in Google Scholar or Google Books. I tried to find an email address for the Chinese co-authors with the false reference, but I have had no luck. Emailing is the best solution.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 02:33:27 PM »
Can't find one.

Similarly non-existent
It used to be said that Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy, and Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln, but, in fact, Lincoln did not have a secretary named Kennedy. His secretaries were John Hay and John G. Nicolay.
https://www.quora.com/How-did-Abraham-Lincoln-and-John-F-Kennedy-compare-and-contrast

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:08:42 PM »
I tried to find an email address for the Chinese co-authors with the false reference, but I have had no luck. Emailing is the best solution.
The emails of the Koreans are in their other papers. I wrote to one of them ten days ago and did not get a reply.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:20:29 PM »
Then isn't the title of this thread a bit of an exercise in jumping to conclusions (to say nothing of being a bit of an over-generalization from one example)?

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 03:16:31 PM »
Then isn't the title of this thread a bit of an exercise in jumping to conclusions (to say nothing of being a bit of an over-generalization from one example)?
Where do you see the over-generalization?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 11:52:05 PM »
Where do you see the over-generalization?

To put it succinctly, #notallscientists

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox, Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 12:30:42 AM »
Forum users just read the titles of the posts they comment in.

:laugh:
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 03:32:29 PM »
The title does not say "all scientists."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 05:22:37 PM »
The title does not say "all scientists."

I know, but it seems to imply "scientists in general."

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 06:35:26 PM »
I am not responsible for what seems to you.

It is hard to tell what part of the scientists does not read the titles. However about 80% do not read the papers while copying citations from the lists of references used in other papers.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 07:15:05 PM »
I was going to post something snarky, but English obviously isn't your first language, and it's natural to get defensive when you're shown to have mucked things up, so I'll just leave it at: if you care at all about the things you seem to care about, you'd do well to reconsider what people are telling you on this (and in the past, other) threads.

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 08:34:08 PM »
I was going to post something snarky, but English obviously isn't your first language, and it's natural to get defensive when you're shown to have mucked things up, so I'll just leave it at: if you care at all about the things you seem to care about, you'd do well to reconsider what people are telling you on this (and in the past, other) threads.
Thank you for your gifts of wisdom, Master!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 03:27:27 AM »
I am not responsible for what seems to you.

It is hard to tell what part of the scientists does not read the titles. However about 80% do not read the papers while copying citations from the lists of references used in other papers.

Still, it seems like a slightly different error to not even reading titles. But maybe I'm just nitpicking.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:28:22 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 06:14:55 PM »
Still, it seems like a slightly different error to not even reading titles. But maybe I'm just nitpicking.
You are not picking anything, just blah-blah-blah.

Which is a pity since some of your earlier posts had been very useful:

I. A. Richards kicked off Formalist literary criticism in the 20s at Cambridge with just such an observation (he found that students consistently rated unattributed lines of poetry as being lower in quality than they did the same poetry properly attributed to its famous author).

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 06:46:29 PM »
Depends on what kind or type of Scientist you are.
Learn meditation.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »
You are not picking anything, just blah-blah-blah.

Which is a pity since some of your earlier posts had been very useful:

I. A. Richards kicked off Formalist literary criticism in the 20s at Cambridge with just such an observation (he found that students consistently rated unattributed lines of poetry as being lower in quality than they did the same poetry properly attributed to its famous author).

Oh cool, I get to be Mor Ephrem now, yay!

Erhem....

Thank you for your gifts of wisdom, Master!

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 09:13:51 PM »
Pretty useless unless you specify the relevant classes and types of scientists.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 01:18:24 AM »

Give him credit Simkins. Two ambiguities in this thread does make a right.

On a personal note, I do not pay attention to paper titles, they are often obscure or hype. I remember papers by first author and/or last (the senior) author and year.

I can go on as to why someone might quote a paper that they did not read or did read but not remember the details, but I am guessing no one would be interested. It is not uncommon because it can save you grief during the peer review process.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 01:44:52 AM »

On a personal note, I do not pay attention to paper titles, they are often obscure or hype. I remember papers by first author and/or last (the senior) author and year.

I can go on as to why someone might quote a paper that they did not read or did read but not remember the details, but I am guessing no one would be interested. It is not uncommon because it can save you grief during the peer review process.

I would be kind of interested.

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 04:06:12 PM »
I don't see what for.  I give a credit to Spengler

But even in law the basis of determining the truth by a majority of texts is the
fact of the consensus of the spiritual elect, the ijma. This theory Islamic science
worked out to its logical conclusions. We seek to find the truth, each for
himself, by personal pondering, but the Arabian savant feels for and ascertains
the general conviction of his associates, which cannot err because the mind of
God and the mind of the community are the same. If consensus is found, truth is
established. Ijma is the key of all Early Christian, Jewish, and Persian
Councils, but it is the key, too, of the famous Law of Citations of Valentinian III,
which the law-men have universally ridiculed without in the
least understanding its spiritual foundations.

A reviewer asked to cite his paper and you did without reading. This is what you are talking of so mysteriously?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 04:19:33 PM »
Let's stop reading this garbage.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »
I don't see what for.  I give a credit to Spengler

But even in law the basis of determining the truth by a majority of texts is the
fact of the consensus of the spiritual elect, the ijma. This theory Islamic science
worked out to its logical conclusions. We seek to find the truth, each for
himself, by personal pondering, but the Arabian savant feels for and ascertains
the general conviction of his associates, which cannot err because the mind of
God and the mind of the community are the same. If consensus is found, truth is
established. Ijma is the key of all Early Christian, Jewish, and Persian
Councils, but it is the key, too, of the famous Law of Citations of Valentinian III,
which the law-men have universally ridiculed without in the
least understanding its spiritual foundations.

What I was trying to convey is that the title of the thread is ambiguous in regards to interpretation. WPM's post are often ambiguous which make them enjoyable. Because of this, I thought it was fitting (right). You should appreciate it, as well.

I did not understand your citation and maybe that was your point. It did not seem entertaining enough to ponder it further.

A reviewer asked to cite his paper and you did without reading. This is what you are talking of so mysteriously?

The first sentence is something I have never personally had to deal with. It was not what I was referring to. If you see a paper that is less than 6 pages long (excluding experimental figures and tables) with over 60 references (not uncommon), you can bet some or all of the authors have not read them all, they came out of a review paper. I personally make statements and cite the review along with the phrase "and references therein". Nevertheless, I am willing to cite a paper if its senior author is likely to be selected by the journal editor to review my paper even if I think it is flawed in some aspects. Unfortunately, some people take the absence of a direct citation as an affront.

I review a fair amount of papers each year, many not in my field which requires reading a lot of papers in order the review the papers. It is not uncommon to find incorrect citations due to the date being incorrect which leads to the citation being incorrect.

I have to go, maybe I will finish up later.

Hi Volnutt!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 07:21:22 PM »
Howdy.

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 04:25:38 PM »
I did not understand your citation and maybe that was your point. It did not seem entertaining enough to ponder it further.
Spengler described two kinds of scholars.

The first sentence is something I have never personally had to deal with.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness"

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 08:44:19 PM »
If you're accusing Opus of lying, you'd better back it up.

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 06:46:25 PM »
I merely quoted your scriptures.

It is hard to believe that Opus never got a referee report asking to add some citations. Since it is the most common demand. Of course, the referees are anonymous so you can't tell for sure that the referee demands citing their work. But one can't categorically state that one did not have to deal with it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:46:55 PM by Simkins »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »
I merely quoted your scriptures.

Yes, but to what end? "Even the devil can cite Scripture for his purpose," after all.

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 07:32:10 PM »
"Ich bin der Geist der stets verneint"

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 08:49:59 PM »
"Ich bin der Geist der stets verneint"

Yes, I'm sure you are, honey.

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 03:23:50 AM »
Yes, pointing out that researchers  copy citations from the lists of references used in other papers is of the devil.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 04:21:41 AM »
Yes, pointing out that researchers  copy citations from the lists of references used in other papers is of the devil.

I think they do it because they figure that if Jones has read and cited Smith, and they have read Jones, then they can trust Jones to properly represent Smith's salient points in what Jones talks about and thus they don't need to read Smith.

Naive? Maybe. Lazy? Probably. Dishonest and venal? I think that's going a little too far as a blanket statement.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »
A reviewer asked to cite his paper and you did without reading.

The first sentence is something I have never personally had to deal with.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness"

It is hard to believe that Opus never got a referee report asking to add some citations. Since it is the most common demand. Of course, the referees are anonymous so you can't tell for sure that the referee demands citing their work. But one can't categorically state that one did not have to deal with it.

I appreciate the silliness of this conversation and in general terms there is some relevance to the issues you are bringing up, but your idealistic demands as to how things should be are both detrimental and impossible. I will not discuss this latter issue. It is too time consuming.

In  regard to me, I have never had to cite a reference due to a reviewer. Some background - I started research in my field as an undergraduate in 1973 and I read the relevant papers in the field which was not many. My first paper was in 1978. Due to the large increase in research in this area, this field subdivided into four subareas. I  participated in the inception of one of these subareas and continued research in the subarea that was the main focus of research prior to 1980. I continued to work on these two subareas until 2014, but followed (read the papers)  the other two continuously. Since 2014 I have been working on one of these latter subareas. I can remember most of the papers I have read prior to 1995, but my memory gets spotty as I get older and because the papers I have read are in the multiple 1000s (and this includes my own).

As a reviewer of 100s of papers, I have to read the comments of the other reviewers. On that basis, in my pre-2014 subarea, demands that a paper be cited is extremely rare. I have seen it in my current subarea but I would consider that very rare as well. A little bit more common is that a reviewer requests a reference if there is space (until the advent of online supplemental information in the past five years where you could shift Methods and some figures online - this was main determinant of what goes into the paper and a lot of data was not shown because of this).

Since I wrote the reviews for my subarea, perhaps requesting or demanding a citation would be a little awkward since I cited the review. Nevertheless, they are not as common as you think. I only demand a citation if their data conflicts with a prior paper which would need to be acknowledged in the Discussion section - but only when I consider the prior paper sound.

I think they do it because they figure that if Jones has read and cited Smith, and they have read Jones, then they can trust Jones to properly represent Smith's salient points in what Jones talks about and thus they don't need to read Smith.

Naive? Maybe. Lazy? Probably. Dishonest and venal? I think that's going a little too far as a blanket statement.

Citing a paper from a review is both common, and appropriate for acknowledging in your paper seminal papers that established a technique or particular research area.  For example, if you want to acknowledge Crick FH, Barnett L, Brenner S, Watts-Tobin RJ (1961) in regard to establishing the genetic code for some reason, there is no need to read the paper. If you are dating Sydney Brenner's grand-daughter, reading the paper might make sense.

Forgive me, if there are typos.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 05:21:24 PM »
Yeah, and I'm sure that the likes of Brenner and Crick are cited so often in other papers that everyone assumes their work is sound, too. Like you said, reading absolutely everything that might be relevant to one's research is probably not often possible these days. Scientists of all kinds likely just have to settle for hitting the highlights.

Offline Simkins

• High Elder
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 03:57:38 PM »
I appreciate the silliness of this conversation and in general terms there is some relevance to the issues you are bringing up, but your idealistic demands as to how things should be are both detrimental and impossible. I will not discuss this latter issue. It is too time consuming.

In  regard to me, I have never had to cite a reference due to a reviewer. Some background - I started research in my field as an undergraduate in 1973 and I read the relevant papers in the field which was not many. My first paper was in 1978. Due to the large increase in research in this area, this field subdivided into four subareas. I  participated in the inception of one of these subareas and continued research in the subarea that was the main focus of research prior to 1980. I continued to work on these two subareas until 2014, but followed (read the papers)  the other two continuously. Since 2014 I have been working on one of these latter subareas. I can remember most of the papers I have read prior to 1995, but my memory gets spotty as I get older and because the papers I have read are in the multiple 1000s (and this includes my own).

As a reviewer of 100s of papers, I have to read the comments of the other reviewers. On that basis, in my pre-2014 subarea, demands that a paper be cited is extremely rare. I have seen it in my current subarea but I would consider that very rare as well. A little bit more common is that a reviewer requests a reference if there is space (until the advent of online supplemental information in the past five years where you could shift Methods and some figures online - this was main determinant of what goes into the paper and a lot of data was not shown because of this).

Since I wrote the reviews for my subarea, perhaps requesting or demanding a citation would be a little awkward since I cited the review. Nevertheless, they are not as common as you think. I only demand a citation if their data conflicts with a prior paper which would need to be acknowledged in the Discussion section - but only when I consider the prior paper sound.
If you are so educated and so wise why then this
I tried to find an email address for the Chinese co-authors with the false reference, but I have had no luck.
?
Even I with my feeble mind found them in a minute.

The referees reports they are like that

Scientific journals rejected published articles, resubmitted in disguise

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »

If you are so educated and so wise why then this
I tried to find an email address for the Chinese co-authors with the false reference, but I have had no luck.
?
Even I with my feeble mind found them in a minute.

The referees reports they are like that

Scientific journals rejected published articles, resubmitted in disguise

There is a trivial answer. After spending quite a bit of time determining that there was no simple answer available on the internet as to why the citation was chosen, I had little time finding the email address of the authors. I spent more than a minute so I am obviously not as fast as you. I went to their individual academic web pages to see if they were still active. Their email addresses on these pages should have been obvious, but it wasn't.

As to confusing China and Korea, I do not remember details after one day. The same may be be true for the paragraph above.

Best
Opus