Author Topic: The secular holiday  (Read 462 times)

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
The secular holiday
« on: March 14, 2018, 04:36:05 PM »
Today is steak and b$%$ j$% day here in the US. I was unaware but its seems to be a holiday off shoot of Valentine's. What do you-all thing of it?

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Re: The secular holiday
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »
Nothing.  I was thinking about what else today is - π day.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 05:20:38 PM »
Today is steak and b$%$ j$% day here in the US. I was unaware but its seems to be a holiday off shoot of Valentine's. What do you-all thing of it?

I think you're (innocently) insulting Americans by mistaking grotesque marketing gags for our culture. I wish there were an easy way to enlighten immigrants to the fact that Americans two or three generations ago were much more like your home country's old folks than like your impression of Americans now.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »

That's really disgusting. You should not have mentioned it.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 05:34:54 PM »

I think you're (innocently) insulting Americans by mistaking grotesque marketing gags for our culture. I wish there were an easy way to enlighten immigrants to the fact that Americans two or three generations ago were much more like your home country's old folks than like your impression of Americans now.
I hate to tell you. If you didn't already realize.  America has gone secular.  The churches have lost power and even hospitals have transformed in a decade.  The RCC lost a big foot hold on health care. Sold all there hospitals to pay off law suits.  Sex allegations.
The churches mission has been hijacked by secular medicine and politics.  The church use to run all these organizations, but they have been taken over unfortunately. Look around. They no longer exist.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 05:48:54 PM »

I hate to tell you. If you didn't already realize.  America has gone secular.  The churches have lost power and even hospitals have transformed in a decade.  The RCC lost a big foot hold on health care. Sold all there hospitals to pay off law suits.  Sex allegations.
The churches mission has been hijacked by secular medicine and politics.  The church use to run all these organizations, but they have been taken over unfortunately. Look around. They no longer exist.

Please, tell me more about the society in which my family has lived for 300 years.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 06:03:28 PM »

My comment didn't mention the Catholic church. The American cultural milieu arose from English and German traditions in which Catholicism paid little to no role. If there is a religious component to American culture (of the old sort: I must take care to specify that I don't mean the modern "culture," which is nothing of the sort), it would in the main be English Low Church. The influx of Catholic peoples wouldn't come until much later.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 06:06:17 PM »

Please, tell me more about the society in which my family has lived for 300 years.
Unfortunately we become acclimated without realizing it. If its ok with you than. You know how the saying goes.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »

And during Lent.   :o
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »

And during Lent.   :o
when one should feast on spiritual, rational steaks.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 08:56:51 PM »
Nothing.  I was thinking about what else today is - π day.
Yep.

Unfortunately e day got no press, and only comes around once a century. 2/7/18  8)
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 09:05:52 PM »

Yeah, they should cope with their frustrations in the healthy and holy ways of our ancestors!

Like finding someone of a different skin color and beating him to death for being in the wrong part of town after sunset. :angel:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:06:34 PM by Volnutt »
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 02:44:43 AM »

Unfortunately we become acclimated without realizing it. If its ok with you than. You know how the saying goes.

While evidently there are others whose abysmal ignorance requires no such passage of time.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 02:48:30 AM »

Yeah, they should cope with their frustrations in the healthy and holy ways of our ancestors!

Like finding someone of a different skin color and beating him to death for being in the wrong part of town after sunset. :angel:

As tho to be American consists of nothing more than a choice between endorsing a holiday for oral sex or engaging in racial violence. You do your forefathers a disfavor.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 02:55:51 AM »

As tho to be American consists of nothing more than a choice between endorsing a holiday for oral sex or engaging in racial violence. You do your forefathers a disfavor.

I didn't say it did. I'm just pointing out your usual silly romancticism, as though previous generations were automatically superior or didn't have any problem behaviors of their own.
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 03:07:52 AM »

I didn't say it did. I'm just pointing out your usual silly romancticism, as though previous generations were automatically superior or didn't have any problem behaviors of their own.

Your opinion of me isn't pertinent, but you did a very poor job expressing it if that's what that post was supposed to do. Now why don't you take another look at my response --

"I think you're (innocently) insulting Americans by mistaking grotesque marketing gags for our culture. I wish there were an easy way to enlighten immigrants to the fact that Americans two or three generations ago were much more like your home country's old folks than like your impression of Americans now."

-- and see if this time you can manage something apposite. If you can't, we both know it's not because you suffer from a shortage of words.