OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 05:19:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frank McCourt, author of 'Angela's Ashes,' dead at 78  (Read 851 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: July 20, 2009, 01:52:21 AM »

(CNN) -- Author Frank McCourt, whose tragic childhood became creative grist for his first book, the Pulitzer Prize-winning "Angela's Ashes," died Sunday, according to the Web site of his publisher, Simon & Shuster. He was 78.

McCourt taught creative writing to high school students in New York City for 30 years before achieving literary acclaim with the 1996 biography.

"Angela's Ashes," named after his mother, also won the National Book Critics Circle Award. It was translated and sold throughout the world.

In the book, McCourt described a desperate childhood marked by severe poverty, malnutrition, neglect, infectious disease and loss.

"When I look back on my childhood I wonder how I survived at all. It was, of course, a miserable childhood: the happy childhood is hardly worth your while. Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood," he wrote.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/books/07/19/author.frank.mccourt.dead/index.html

May God embrace him! I saw the movie! It was quite moving!

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 03:37:57 AM »

(CNN) -- Author Frank McCourt, whose tragic childhood became creative grist for his first book, the Pulitzer Prize-winning "Angela's Ashes," died Sunday, according to the Web site of his publisher, Simon & Shuster. He was 78.

McCourt taught creative writing to high school students in New York City for 30 years before achieving literary acclaim with the 1996 biography.

"Angela's Ashes," named after his mother, also won the National Book Critics Circle Award. It was translated and sold throughout the world.

In the book, McCourt described a desperate childhood marked by severe poverty, malnutrition, neglect, infectious disease and loss.

"When I look back on my childhood I wonder how I survived at all. It was, of course, a miserable childhood: the happy childhood is hardly worth your while. Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood," he wrote.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/books/07/19/author.frank.mccourt.dead/index.html

May God embrace him! I saw the movie! It was quite moving!

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:27:25 AM »

Memory eternal. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »

May His Memory Be Eternal,,,Amen..
Blessed Rest Grant This Soul Oh Lord...Amen,Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:02:06 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 01:06:29 PM »

Memory Eternal!

Love never fails.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »

Memory Eternal.

"Angela's Ashes" is a great book.  If you take it up, be prepared to laugh and be depressed on the same page!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: