OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 07:00:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rite Monasteries: How did they come about?  (Read 1233 times) Average Rating: 0
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« on: July 18, 2009, 08:44:45 PM »

Is there a listing of all the Western Rite Orthodox monasteries in the U.S.? I'm also curious to learn how they came about and whether it was done organically or a monastery converted. I also wonder who approached who when a monastery converted en masse to Orthodoxy. Have jurisdictions approached groups or was it the other way around?

The reason I ask is because there is a Benedictine monastery about 30 mins. from me that left Rome after Vatican II in the 1960s. They don't seem to be connected to any particular "schismatic group" from the aftermath of that council. I would love to see a monastery like this enter into union with the Orthodox Church. I might be a bit biased, but I think they would do well to enter into union.  Wink Their website is: http://www.syonabbey.org/

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 09:27:15 PM »

There's a bendictine monastery not too far from me either. A beautiful place, a cathedral which is amazing, and the only seminary within several hundred miles. I'm one of the few of my generation in Canada to have ever seen monastics, I am sure.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:56:11 AM »

Is there a listing of all the Western Rite Orthodox monasteries in the U.S.?

To the best of my knowledge there are no Western Rite monasteries in the US.

The Russian Orthodox Church Abroad has one hieromonk who lives in Jacksonville Florida in what is described as a hermitage, a rather nice two story suburban house.  He cares for another very elderly monk. He uses both Byzantine Rite and Western Rite.

http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Liturgy/Groups.html

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »

Christminster used to be but it was moved to Hamilton in Canada.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: