OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 01:29:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Armenian Vespers  (Read 1710 times) Average Rating: 0
Specs

« on: July 18, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »

Does anyone know an online version? I'll settle for a transcription in Latin characters, though a translation would be nice.

I also have some questions about the Vesper service
- at the beginning, there is a deacon (or subdeacon - I could not make out, but I'm pretty sure it was deacon) on a platform above the sacristy reading something. What was it?
- there is a part right at the beginning when everyone makes a bow from the shoulders when the priest is reading something. What is this?
- every now and then after the chanting, a priest will come to the center, bow to all the others, and then read something from a book. What is that?
- what is the significance of the deacons incensing so many times and why do they do this on Saturdays? I noticed today that they incensed 3 times, each time incensing in the sanctuary and then making a circuit of the church. On other days, sometimes a priest will do it.
Plus there seemed to be more litanies on Saturday because I heard Der Voghormia in very long chants, alternately by either side of the choir, which is not there on weekdays. Is this correct, or have I mixed up something?

I tried to look up the structure of the Armenian vespers in some Western liturgy books, but I am very confused. Today for example, there was a procession and a reading of the Gospel but this is not mentioned anywhere.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »

http://www.stvartanbookstore.com/

The above bookstore used to sell--and might still sell--a book called The Book of Hours or the Order of Common Prayers of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church:  Matins, Prime, Vespers, and Occasional Offices.  It's a white book and the version which I have was printed in 1964, by Ouzoonian House, in Evanston Illinois.  It has these offices in it, translated into English.

I don't know of any online version.

As for exactly what was going on in the service you attended, I really don't know.  The parish I go to really only has Vesper services during Lent.  I would have to have been there with you to see and hear it myself and the explain it all to you.  Maybe vasnTearn could tell you what was happening. 

Specs

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »

I do have videos of many parts --if you would be willing to download them, they are quite large.....

Does this book have the services is Armenian (but Latin characters) also?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:18:28 PM by Specs » Logged
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 05:23:04 PM »

The book is in English only. A bilingual book of the Divine Office does not yet exist, as far as I know (are you reading this St Nersess Seminary?).
Where have you had the good fortune to find a Vesper Service?

I do have videos of many parts --if you would be willing to download them, they are quite large.....

Does this book have the services is Armenian (but Latin characters) also?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:37:21 PM by Brigidsboy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »

It would be kind of cool if you could somehow download the videos so everyone here could see them.  
 Smiley

The book I am talking about only has the services translated into English.  No transliteration or Armenian text, unfortunately.

If you call or e-mail the above bookstore, by the way, the guy to contact is Nazareth.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 05:27:04 PM »

I see I and Brigidsboy answered at the same time.   Smiley

I'd like to ask the same thing, where did you get to see the Vesper service?  Like I indicated, here in the States evening services tend to only be held during Lent and perhaps other special holy days.

Specs

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 05:40:02 PM »

I would be happy to answer the question in a private message, if you do not mind. I am also uploading videos - however, since they were meant to be private, I regret I cannot put them on the site for everyone, but if whoever interested pms me, I can give the link.

Thank you brigidsboy for mentioning St. Nerses seminary. I Googled and found a "Sacred Music Lab". Listening to some of the tunes is helping me understand what was being done. For example, one of the incense took place during "Holy God, Holy Mighty, etc."

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:41:47 PM by Specs » Logged
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:40:51 PM »

Evening Service of the Armenian Church (Abbreviated)

http://www.stnersess.edu/classroom/resources/docs/EveningAbbrev.pdf
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:46:07 PM by Salpy » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags: Armenian Church vespers prayer Oriental Orthodox prayers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: