OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:45:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Word for "priest"  (Read 3299 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: July 17, 2009, 04:43:41 PM »

I rather imagine I've asked this question before, but why are priests often referred to as "popiy" (popes?) in Russian. Is this a derogatory expression mostly?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »

Hi Rosehip,

I think it's usually "unflattering" to call the a priest a pop (long o), or peep.  In Ukrainian I call my priest "Otetz".
I know the Russians call priests "Bathyushka", which is a gentle way of saying "Father".

I'm not sure where the popiy came from....although I hear it in reference to Ukrainian priests, as well. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 05:20:28 PM »

The offcially accepted Russian word for priest is "священник" (svya-shchYE-nnik). The word "поп" (PAWP) is a bit rude - not quite derogatory but, still, not really polite to use.

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »

So what are the origins of this expression? I heard it in Ukraine-actually this is what the locals sometimes called the pastors of our little (non-Orthodox) church. Does it come from the Roman Catholic "pope"?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:25:42 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 05:40:23 PM »

Probably yes, both come from the Greek "papas..."

Love never fails.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 06:30:17 PM »

I think it's usually "unflattering" to call the a priest a pop (long o),

Yes, it's considered a sign of uncouthness.  All the same, Serbs can use it in a folksy village friendly way without giving offence.

Pop-Amvro
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:29:10 PM »

In Macedonia and Bulgaria, "pop" that means father (along with popadiya/papadija for the priest's wife) was normally used in the villages. Educated/city folks used "otyets" for the priest and "presvitera" for the wife. In any case, "pop" and "otyets" mean father.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:57:41 PM »

Popp is a common surname among Rusyns. 

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 05:27:14 AM »

СВЕШТЕНИК, ПОП, ОЧЕ, ОТАЦ.....СРБСКИ....serbian

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 08:03:13 AM »

Popp is a common surname among Rusyns. 

Really? Maybe Papp (Hungarian origin)? "Popp" does not sound like a Slavic name at all.

Love never fails.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »

I have some in my parish and they are Rusyn not Hungarian.  The name is listed in the Carpatho-Rusyn surname list:
http://www.rusyn.com/crslalpha.htm

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 10:03:58 AM »

I have some in my parish and they are Rusyn not Hungarian.  The name is listed in the Carpatho-Rusyn surname list:

I am not saying they are Hungarian, but the name Popp sounds Hungarian rather than of a Slavic origin. Indeed, in this list the name Popp is mentioned twice, and is said to belong to people from "counties" (I am not sure what that is) that are called Maramaros and Szepes/Spis (very Hungarian names, again). Other names in the list that sound Hungarian to me are Apihari, Balosh, Banjas, Bezeres, Capcara, Dadio, Dandar, Derczo, etc.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:04:29 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 10:17:06 AM »

I am not saying they are Hungarian, but the name Popp sounds Hungarian rather than of a Slavic origin. Indeed, in this list the name Popp is mentioned twice, and is said to belong to people from "counties" (I am not sure what that is) that are called Maramaros and Szepes/Spis (very Hungarian names, again). Other names in the list that sound Hungarian to me are Apihari, Balosh, Banjas, Bezeres, Capcara, Dadio, Dandar, Derczo, etc.

Guess it's like Russians I know who have German surnames, like König, Meissner, etc, or Germans who have French names like Clermont. Geographic and cultural overlap.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »

Guess it's like Russians I know who have German surnames, like König, Meissner, etc, or Germans who have French names like Clermont. Geographic and cultural overlap.

Yes, perhaps you are right! I know a man from the Netherlands (Southern Holland) whose last name is Montfort. It sounds so French, but he says he does not know of any French ancestors. He is "as Dutch as it gets."

Love never fails.
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 09:55:38 AM »

Hi Rosehip,

I think it's usually "unflattering" to call the a priest a pop (long o), or peep.  In Ukrainian I call my priest "Otetz".
I know the Russians call priests "Bathyushka", which is a gentle way of saying "Father".

I'm not sure where the popiy came from....although I hear it in reference to Ukrainian priests, as well. 

I can't speak for Russians, since I am of Ukrainian heritage born in Canada.  The word "pip" for priest in Ukrainian comes from the Greek word for priest as others indicated.  Certainly here in Canada in the Ukrainian community the word pip is not deragatory or meant to be insulting.  It is just a less formal word.  For example a comparison according to my Ukrainian dictionary can be made between the English words priest and parson.  When visiting Western Ukraine I have found this to be the same.

However, when addressing a priest face to face, he is called by the title "otetz" in Ukrainian which means father.  The same custom exists in English to call a priest "father".  Different words are used for different situation.  For example, a teacher in English is not addressed face to face as
teacher Smith but Mr. or Ms. Smith.

In many Slavic languages you will find the surname "Popovich" which can be translated as "son of a priest".  Even in Romanian you can find the surname "Popescu" which means son of a priest.  For many centuries Romanians used Church Slavonic as their liturgical language in church.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »

In many Slavic languages you will find the surname "Popovich" which can be translated as "son of a priest".  Even in Romanian you can find the surname "Popescu" which means son of a priest.  For many centuries Romanians used Church Slavonic as their liturgical language in church.

I knew one Hungarian (from Transcarpathia) whose last name was Popovich. The man spoke some heavily accented Russian and Ukrainian, but he said that his first language, his mother tongue was Hungarian. His first name was Tibor (really Hungarian).

Love never fails.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 10:30:17 AM »

Slavic priestly surnames include Popovitch, Popov, Protopopov; Greek priestly surnames include Papas, Papadopoulos (the most common of all Greek surnames), Papadakis, Protopapas, and the large number of names beginning with Papa- , followed by a man's name in possessive case, such as Papageorgiou, Papadimitriou, etc.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 01:59:36 PM »

So what are the origins of this expression? I heard it in Ukraine-actually this is what the locals sometimes called the pastors of our little (non-Orthodox) church. Does it come from the Roman Catholic "pope"?

LOL.  No, it comes from Greek papa "father/priest" from which Latin papa comes from.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: priest 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: