OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 02:04:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptism  (Read 1307 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: July 16, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »

I was just curious about baptism into Orthodoxy.  If one was previously baptised in the name of the Trinity (in my case a a Baptist church), I realize that it is not necessary to be re-baptised in the Orthodox church.  My question is, can one decide to be baptised in the Orthodox church anyways? (Have any protestant converts done this?)
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 06:45:31 PM »

I had been baptized in the Trinity in a Baptist church when I was six, of my own volition. When I was 25 I converted to Orthodoxy and at 26 was ready to enter the church. I left it up to my Spiritual Father, in obedience to His direction, to decide. He spoke to His Bishop and I was Baptized and Chrismated.
My advice: Speak to your's and allow Him to take the appropriate measures.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 06:49:32 PM »

I was just curious about baptism into Orthodoxy.  If one was previously baptised in the name of the Trinity (in my case a a Baptist church), I realize that it is not necessary to be re-baptised in the Orthodox church.  My question is, can one decide to be baptised in the Orthodox church anyways? (Have any protestant converts done this?)

In America, in the Greek Church, the Antiochian Church, and the OCA, it is highly unlikely they will baptize you, they will chrismate you with the sacred chrism. 

In the Russian Church they will almost certainly baptize you by threefold immersion, and also in the Serbian Church (followed of course by Chrismation.)
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »

I was in the DOW of OCA - Baptized and Chrismated...
I had been baptized in the Trinity in a Baptist church when I was six, of my own volition. When I was 25 I converted to Orthodoxy and at 26 was ready to enter the church. I left it up to my Spiritual Father, in obedience to His direction, to decide. He spoke to His Bishop and I was Baptized and Chrismated.
My advice: Speak to your's and allow Him to take the appropriate measures.

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »

Interesting, I thought that the OCA, the Greeks and the Antiochians have an official policy not to baptize.  Were there special circumstances?
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:31:28 PM »

Interesting, I thought that the OCA, the Greeks and the Antiochians have an official policy not to baptize.  Were there special circumstances?
Perhaps. When was this policy introduced?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:32:46 PM by simplygermain » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:46:10 AM »

Here is something from the Greek Diocese of Denver.  There will be similar OCA statements and others....

Regarding the Reception of Converts and "Re-Baptism"

http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/liturgics/reception_of_converts.htm

For the record, the Eparchial Synod of Bishops of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, with the concurrence of the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, has determined to recognize by extreme Oikonomia the heterodox Baptisms normatively performed according to the prescribed form in the following denominations and churches: (a.) Anglican Catholic (b.) Anglican Communion (Church of England, Episcopal, etc.) (c.) Assembly of God (d.) Baptist (e.) Church of the Brethren (f.) Lutheran (g.) Methodist (h.) Moravians (i.) Non-Chalcedonian and Monophysite Churches (j.) Old Catholic (Polish National Catholic Church, Church of Utrecht, Liberal Catholic Church, etc.) (k.) Presbyterian (l.) Roman Catholic (m.) United Church of Christ.

This decision is respected by all hierarchs and all synods of the Orthodox Church in communion with the Ecumenical Patriarchate, and it is consonant with similar determinations by the synods of the jurisdictions comprising the Standing Committee of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in America (SCOBA). This decision is not called into question nor refuted by any canonical hierarch simply because he personally disagrees with it; instead hierarchs respect the principle of conciliarity and the decisions of other hierarchs made in consideration of the prevalent circumstances within their dioceses and made in concord with the consensus of their synods.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 01:51:22 AM »

Regarding the Reception of Converts and "Re-Baptism"

http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/liturgics/reception_of_converts.htm

"...the Eparchial Synod of Bishops of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, with the concurrence of the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, has determined to recognize by extreme Oikonomia the heterodox Baptisms normatively performed according to the prescribed form in the following denominations and churches:.... (l.) Roman Catholic...."

People often look at me sideways as if I have lapsed into madness and fundamentalism when I say the Orthodox do not recognise non-Orthodox Baptisms per se, not even those of the Roman Catholic Church, but there it is in black and white from the Greeks in the US.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 05:14:00 AM »

I don't know, I guess if I were to convert to Orthodoxy I would prefer to be re-baptised, since the significance of it was purely symbolic in the church I was in (that's what everyone believed), and that's what I was taught to believe about it. I would think that since baptism is a part of salvation (and since salvation is only found "within" the Church) I would think that logically they would want to have converts baptised within the Church. This reminds me of the baptism scenario in Acts where the individual didn't receive the Spirit because they were baptized under John. (Whom, as we all know, is the founder of the Baptist faith!  Wink My dad actually tried to "convince" me of that once.  laugh)

Well, that point leads me to a tie-in question. I've heard that only bishops perform chrismations in certain jurisdictions. Is this the true for baptisms also, and does this phenomenon occur in the US?
AlexanderOfBergamo
High Elder

Faith: Traditionalist Christian
Jurisdiction: The Original First Millennium Church

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 07:26:43 AM »

In truth, you're not so wrong after all. The situation you point out here is true here in Italy. The Diocese of Korsun in Italy (Russian Orthodox Church) churches the new faithful from Trinitarian churches by anointing (at least in the parish I attend, but it seems an ordinary thing here). Most Greek-speaking communities under the EP generally re-baptise the converts by threefold immersion. The situation in the USA is anyway licit since oikonomia can be actuated at any time, and the local synods so did allowing the recognition of these baptisms (but not necessarily agrees on their efficacy, of course!)

In Christ,   Alex

PS: I also consider re-baptism the best form of churching, anyway
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:28:51 AM by AlexanderOfBergamo » Logged

"Also in the Catholic Church itself we take great care that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and properly Catholic" (St. Vincent of Lérins, "The Commonitory")
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 11:45:58 AM »

It is (only) my understanding that  since I walked away from the faith (to practice other religions)even though I had been baptized in the Trinity at a very young age,  that I needed to be baptized again. But I was in obedience to my Spiritual Father and happily recieved whatever decision He and His bishop would come to. I did not question why, if the Father was to pour more grace apon me.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »

http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/non-orthodox_ch5.pdf

here's another article I found relating to heterodox baptisms.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »

People often look at me sideways as if I have lapsed into madness and fundamentalism when I say the Orthodox do not recognize non-Orthodox Baptisms...

This is probably why it would be best to just do away with the 'extreme economy', even if my re-baptism does bother me.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: