OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 12:00:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old vs. New Calendar?  (Read 209055 times) Average Rating: 0
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1845 on: February 29, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »

If the new calendar was not, for all intents and purposes, invented by a Roman Pontiff, would there be such a hub-bub about it in Orthodoxy?

PP

No. Exacerbating factors: The adoption of the Revised Julian by the Living Church in Russia;  the heavy-handed way by which it was imposed; and the less than stellar Patriarch Meletius who pushed it.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1846 on: February 29, 2012, 10:02:56 PM »

The revised Julian Calender is just not tradition.  I think the Orthodox Paschallion was seen as a compromise, oh we can revise it but as long as we keep Orthodox Pascha the people won't mind.. muh ha ha ha

It's one of the most destructive things in Orthodoxy to have two calenders.  It should be the Julian Calender hands down.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1847 on: March 01, 2012, 11:34:14 AM »

If the new calendar was not, for all intents and purposes, invented by a Roman Pontiff, would there be such a hub-bub about it in Orthodoxy?
Define "for all intents and purposes".
Well, he didn't invent it all by himself Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1848 on: March 01, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »

Does it strike anyone else as odd that both the Julian calendar and the Gregorian calendar were invented by non-Orthodox Romans  Huh ?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #1849 on: March 01, 2012, 12:48:56 PM »

Does it strike anyone else as odd that both the Julian calendar and the Gregorian calendar were invented by non-Orthodox Romans  Huh ?
I remember making that comment not too long ago. Evidently, it didn't matter.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1850 on: March 01, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »

I wonder if the Orthodox Church has post-death Baptisms like the Mormons do.  Because if we do, then I am going to all kinds of get Julius brought in.  Then this issue will be settled once and for all!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1851 on: March 01, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »

I wonder if the Orthodox Church has post-death Baptisms like the Mormons do.  Because if we do, then I am going to all kinds of get Julius brought in.  Then this issue will be settled once and for all!

PM Pasadi.

He knows a Guy . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1852 on: March 01, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »

PM Pasadi.

He knows a Guy . . .
Well, he could compare a post death baptism by a Mormon and one by an Orthodox and wait 40 days and........

PP

Gregory the Great

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1853 on: March 01, 2012, 02:45:22 PM »

To answer the poster's question, probably not.  I think it was the Pope's unilateral imposition of his calendar that sparked the problem.  However, if it were just another calendar alternative, it may not have been adopted by the Roman Catholic dominated nations, and may not have become so commonly used. So, the civil states in which Eastern Orthodoxy is dominant, would not have felt so pressured to consider it either.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:45:51 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1854 on: March 01, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »

To answer the poster's question, probably not.  I think it was the Pope's unilateral imposition of his calendar that sparked the problem.  However, if it were just another calendar alternative, it may not have been adopted by the Roman Catholic dominated nations, and may not have become so commonly used. So, the civil states in which Eastern Orthodoxy is dominant, would not have felt so pressured to consider it either.
Thats a good point. I just feel that the calendar problem is not based upon scientific issues, but because it is considered ecumenism.

PP

Gregory the Great

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1855 on: March 01, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »

PP

I'd like to think it being problematic not due to papal originis but due to theology. But then again there's probably loads of Eastern Europeans who give massive evil eyes to everyone who say anything papal-related out loud.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:33:58 PM by Alpo » Logged

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #1856 on: March 01, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »

Regarding the Calendar change:

we should keep in mind that changing the dates of the calendar from old to new is the least of our worries.
At first i was like,"whats the big deal, its just dates on a calender?"
I was terribly wrong!

i think the actual calender change was just to divert our attention to it instead of all the other tings they have changed about our religion!
Kinda like a magician who says "look nothing up my sleeve", showing you his right sleeve (so you will look there) and not notice what he is doing with his left hand to tick you. Think smoke and mirrors.

They show you the right hand (calendar change) while with the left hand they slip in ecumenism, shorten our church liturgy (even further), in effect do away with fasting, there is more but I'm tired.

You guys need to do your homework regarding Orthodoxy and the calender change. its shocking.

I realised in my lifetime that our religion had changed in the last 20-30 years, things that were unheard of are now the norm, its incredible.
By further investigating these changes i realise that it can all be traced back to the calender change some 87 years or so back.

The Christianity you (we) know now is a watered down version.
If you love your Orthodoxy now how much more would you have loved the undiluted Orthodoxy of the past?

THINK, don't be spoon fed everything!
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #1857 on: March 01, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »

we should keep in mind that changing the dates of the calendar from old to new is the least of our worries.
I was terribly wrong!

i think the actual calender change was just to divert our attention to it instead of all the other tings they have changed about our religion!
Kinda like a magician who says "look nothing up my sleeve", showing you his right sleeve (so you will look there) and not notice what he is doing with his left hand to tick you. Think smoke and mirrors.

They show you the right hand (calendar change) while with the left hand they slip in ecumenism, shorten our church liturgy (even further), in effect do away with fasting, there is more but I'm tired.

You guys need to do your homework regarding Orthodoxy and the calender change. its shocking.

I realised in my lifetime that our religion had changed in the last 20-30 years, things that were unheard of are now the norm, its incredible.
By further investigating these changes i realise that it can all be traced back to the calender change some 87 years or so back.

If you love your Orthodoxy now how much more would you have loved the undiluted Orthodoxy of the past?

Or you could help by not being vague.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1858 on: March 01, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »

To answer the poster's question, probably not.  I think it was the Pope's unilateral imposition of his calendar that sparked the problem.  However, if it were just another calendar alternative, it may not have been adopted by the Roman Catholic dominated nations, and may not have become so commonly used. So, the civil states in which Eastern Orthodoxy is dominant, would not have felt so pressured to consider it either.
Thats a good point. I just feel that the calendar problem is not based upon scientific issues, but because it is considered ecumenism.

PP

In addition to the ecumenism thing, I think that the gregorian calendar shortens one of the Fasts (Ss. Peter & Paul, I think?).

Personally, I use the gregorian calendar day to day since it is what the world runs on.  If I send a quote or enter an order and send it with a Julian date, there could be pricing problems, messed up shipping schedules, etc.  When I start reading the daily Epistle and Gospel readings I will probably start following the Julian calendar for that.  But until then, I just don't use it often enough.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #1859 on: March 01, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »

I was terribly wrong!

Or you could help by not being vague.

What am i being vague abt?

Are yo asking me to spood feed you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:19:34 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1860 on: March 01, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »

So the calendar change was an actual, conscious diversion? How so?

They show you the right hand (calendar change) while with the left hand they slip in ecumenism
That I can agree with
shorten our church liturgy
Since Im western rite, I'll have to take your word on that

in effect do away with fasting
huh?
You guys need to do your homework regarding Orthodoxy and the calender change
Thats why I posted, because I dont get it.

PP

Gregory the Great

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #1861 on: March 01, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »

PP

In addition to the ecumenism thing, I think that the gregorian calendar shortens one of the Fasts (Ss. Peter & Paul, I think?).

It's not the New Calendar per se which shortens the Apostles' Fast. It's the combination of adopting the New Calendar for fixed feasts while continuing to use the Julian date of the vernal equinox to calculate Pascha (and therefore Pentecost).  If the Paschalion were also updated to use the actual vernal equinox (instead of the date of the Vernal Equinox in the 4th century on the Julian calendar as we do now), then the Apostles' Fast would go back to being as long on the New Calendar as it always was on the Old.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1862 on: March 01, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »

PP

Yes. The issue about the calendar is the Nicene paschalion, not the pope.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #1863 on: March 01, 2012, 04:48:27 PM »

Define "for all intents and purposes".
Well, he didn't invent it all by himself Smiley

PP

He was, of course, assisted by demons. Everyone knows this.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #1864 on: March 01, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »

Is OUTRAGE!

Taxiarches

« Reply #1865 on: March 01, 2012, 05:01:58 PM »

I was terribly wrong!

In my lifetime (no I was not around when the change was first made, just since 1945), I also noticed some changes, but for the better. In the parishes of Orthodox Church in America and the Antiochian Archdiocese, I experienced less of an emphasis on ethnic goodies and more on worship and personal piety: certainly more frequent communion and increased use of the Sacrament of Penance; increased number of weekday and feast day services, establishment of Orthodox publishers and bookstores; increased number of converts; increased rate of church attendance and participation, etc.. Incidentally, both of these jurisdictions are on the Revised Julian.

Think man, don't be spoon fed everything!

Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1866 on: March 01, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »

Yes, bringing them up to where the Julian Churchs have been all along.  At least that is what I have seen in the last 16 years.  Of course, if piety and number of converts is how we mark the Faith, then we should really convert to Islam, or maybe even Mormanism.

I was terribly wrong!

In my lifetime (no I was not around when the change was first made, just since 1945), I also noticed some changes, but for the better. In the parishes of Orthodox Church in America and the Antiochian Archdiocese, I experienced less of an emphasis on ethnic goodies and more on worship and personal piety: certainly more frequent communion and increased use of the Sacrament of Penance; increased number of weekday and feast day services, establishment of Orthodox publishers and bookstores; increased number of converts; increased rate of church attendance and participation, etc.. Incidentally, both of these jurisdictions are on the Revised Julian.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #1867 on: March 01, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »

Of course, if piety and number of converts is how we mark the Faith, then we should really convert to Islam

Islam has numerous converts? I've always assumed that number of Muslims is increasing due to large families and not because of converts.

Taxiarches

« Reply #1868 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:37 PM »

Yes, bringing them up to where the Julian Churchs have been all along.  At least that is what I have seen in the last 16 years.  Of course, if piety and number of converts is how we mark the Faith, then we should really convert to Islam, or maybe even Mormanism.

I was terribly wrong!

Punch--I am talking about Julian Churches that improved after changing to the Revised Julian. I have no idea why you are not happy with my indicators, but have at it--give us other indicators we can look at to judge progress in the past 87 years.

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #1869 on: March 01, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »

So the calendar change was an actual, conscious diversion? How so?

Thats standart inteligence (covert)procedure: Like i said, give them something to focus on and divert ther attention to it while your real objective was to slip in other things while they are bitching and copmplaining about the first thing. Thats just my opinion, it could have been done innocently without any fore thought?

They show you the right hand (calendar change) while with the left hand they slip in ecumenism
That I can agree with
shorten our church liturgy
Since Im western rite, I'll have to take your word on that

in effect do away with fasting
huh?

Brother the fasting is what got me investigating this. I cant belive it but the greek ortho church of america states fasting procedures. and all it is is dont eat Sunday morning before you go to recive!?!? I have spoken with people here in the US and with people in greece and they to are shocked. As a mater of fact, some people in Greece i did not even say what the requirements are here cause im emmbarassed.The bare min for reciving comunion is to fast Wed-Sun, barring age and health issues. not to mention confession.

You guys need to do your homework regarding Orthodoxy and the calender change
Thats why I posted, because I dont get it.

The old calander churches seem to follow the old school requirements. They have not bent the rules in order to attract more converts, to make it easyer for them, to grow as a church, to make more money...

This is the way i look at it: orthodoxy (i was born into it) but it appeals to me cause i find it VERY important to be closest to the beginging of the 1st church. I belive the closer to the source you go the truer the religion, less inovations less changes for whatever reason. Thats Orthiodoxy, thats why i did not become Catholic. they (Catholics) vered off of the 1st church. BUT more importantly then the veer is the changes they made from the original! you can say the same for the new calander! they veered off the original church and made changes creating what we have now.

PP

I wish someone would help me with this as i know there are people on here that are Old calander, not only that but they also practice "old school Orthodoxy".

Also, i want to say for the record, i cant say what they have done is wrong!
could be that Orthodoxy is much bigger and stronger caus of the changes they have made enabling many more people to come in the door and convert by making it much more eazyer? Whos to say if they never changes that we would be a dying religion deminishing in number?

I just think everyone should KNOW where we come from.

BTW: i answered the above quoat in italics in the blue area.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:36:46 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1870 on: March 01, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »

PP

Actually, that's a misconception. The reason the Apostles' Fast gets shortened in New Calendar churches is the superimposition of the Old Calendar Paschalion onto the New Calendar Menologion. We're essentially using two different calendars for our feasts.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1871 on: March 01, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »

Of course, if piety and number of converts is how we mark the Faith, then we should really convert to Islam

Islam has numerous converts? I've always assumed that number of Muslims is increasing due to large families and not because of converts.

I know a white guy who converted to Islam, so who knows, maybe it's not uncommon?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1872 on: March 01, 2012, 11:38:23 PM »

I know a white guy who converted to Islam, so who knows, maybe it's not uncommon?

According to the NYT according to wikipedia:

According to the New York Times, 25% of American Muslims are converts to Islam.[19] In Britain, around 10,000 – 20,000 people convert to Islam per year.[20]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_population_growth#Conversion

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #1873 on: March 01, 2012, 11:42:50 PM »

The Antiochians do not fast during the Apostles fast because of Metr. Phillip extending the fast free period for forty days during Penetcost, is that correct?

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1874 on: March 02, 2012, 12:29:12 AM »

The Antiochians do not fast during the Apostles fast because of Metr. Phillip extending the fast free period for forty days during Penetcost, is that correct?
Not to my knowledge. The fast free period he mandated is the 40 days between Pascha and Ascension. The Apostles' Fast starts 18 days after the Ascension.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:30:28 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1875 on: March 02, 2012, 12:34:01 AM »

PP

Actually, that's a misconception. The reason the Apostles' Fast gets shortened in New Calendar churches is the superimposition of the Old Calendar Paschalion onto the New Calendar Menologion. We're essentially using two different calendars for our feasts.

Doesn't that create even more problems, then?  I thought the date for Pascha was set by the Canons (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not up to speed on my liturgics).  If that is the case, then wouldn't that invalidate the gregorian calendar?
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #1876 on: March 02, 2012, 01:12:24 AM »

PP

Doesn't that create even more problems, then?  I thought the date for Pascha was set by the Canons (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not up to speed on my liturgics).  If that is the case, then wouldn't that invalidate the gregorian calendar?

No, the 'canon' (actually a decision by the First Ecumenical Council) simply says that Pascha is to be calculated based on the 'vernal equinox'. In the 4th century when the decision was made, the vernal equinox fell on March 21st of the Julian calendar and the Orthodox Paschalion is still using that date. However, we could update to use the actual vernal equinox (which now falls on approximately March 21st of the Gregorian Calendar) and doing so would actually make us more consistent with the original decision than the current practice.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #1877 on: March 02, 2012, 02:35:31 AM »

According to the New York Times, 25% of American Muslims are converts to Islam.[19] In Britain, around 10,000 – 20,000 people convert to Islam per year.[20]

Thanks. I wonder whether that number of American converts has mostly something to do with US Black "nationalism".

Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #1878 on: March 02, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »

To answer the poster's question, probably not.  I think it was the Pope's unilateral imposition of his calendar that sparked the problem.  However, if it were just another calendar alternative, it may not have been adopted by the Roman Catholic dominated nations, and may not have become so commonly used. So, the civil states in which Eastern Orthodoxy is dominant, would not have felt so pressured to consider it either.

PP

Doesn't that create even more problems, then?  I thought the date for Pascha was set by the Canons (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not up to speed on my liturgics).  If that is the case, then wouldn't that invalidate the gregorian calendar?

No, the 'canon' (actually a decision by the First Ecumenical Council) simply says that Pascha is to be calculated based on the 'vernal equinox'. In the 4th century when the decision was made, the vernal equinox fell on March 21st of the Julian calendar and the Orthodox Paschalion is still using that date. However, we could update to use the actual vernal equinox (which now falls on approximately March 21st of the Gregorian Calendar) and doing so would actually make us more consistent with the original decision than the current practice.

Perhaps, but it seems to me that liturgical coherence, which we have by preserving the traditional Typicon that calculated all the feasts by the same calendar, is of more spiritual importance than a literalist reading of the First Ecumenical Council's decision. There were many times when calendar reforms were proposed in Orthodox history, but the Church rejected them each time, on the grounds that the spiritual cost of disrupting the Church's liturgical cycle outweighed whatever benefits might come from restoring astronomical accuracy.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:50:00 PM by Jonathan Gress » Logged
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

« Reply #1879 on: March 02, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »

PP

Right, which is precisely why the Orthodox Church condemned the Gregorian calendar three times in the 16th century.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1880 on: March 02, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »

Not to my knowledge. The fast free period he mandated is the 40 days between Pascha and Ascension. The Apostles' Fast starts 18 days after the Ascension.
It was not Metropolitan Philip's action, but rather that of the Synod of Antioch.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #1881 on: March 02, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »

No. Antiochians do (are supposed to) fast during the Apostles Fast (when there is one). The release from fasting was granted during the 40 days after Pascha, until the vigil of Ascension, and was not done by Metropolitan Philip himself, but by the Holy Synod. However, not all dioceses practice this. It is an option.

With regard to the Apostles Fast timing, Elder Cleopa of Romania said that, when there is no Apostles Fast, it is the job of the Holy Synod of the local Church to appoint a fast for the Holy Apostles, but I'm not aware of this ever being done.

Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

« Reply #1882 on: March 02, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »

No. Antiochians do (are supposed to) fast during the Apostles Fast (when there is one). The release from fasting was granted during the 40 days after Pascha, until the vigil of Ascension, and was not done by Metropolitan Philip himself, but by the Holy Synod. However, not all dioceses practice this. It is an option.

With regard to the Apostles Fast timing, Elder Cleopa of Romania said that, when there is no Apostles Fast, it is the job of the Holy Synod of the local Church to appoint a fast for the Holy Apostles, but I'm not aware of this ever being done.
Isn't the usual trick to have people fast during the week after Pentecost?
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1883 on: March 02, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »

Also the extension of the fast free period was done by the Antiochian Holy Synod under the patriarchate of Antioch not just here in the AOCNA. Metropolitan Philip was merely following his Synod's decisions. Even with this it is not mandated, I know many Antiochian Orthodox who continue to follow the standard fasting schedule due to their own spiritual practice---it is just not required of them by the Holy Synod.

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:38:19 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #1884 on: March 02, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »

Trick?

I've never heard of fasting after Pentecost.

Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

« Reply #1885 on: March 02, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »

Trick?

Fr Basil Sakkas mentions it in his book, but maybe it didn't catch on. You're right that fasting in the week after Pentecost is forbidden by the Typicon, but the same Typicon says we must fast before the feast of the Holy Apostles. Solution? Return to the traditional calendar!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #1886 on: March 02, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »

Trick?

Fr Basil Sakkas mentions it in his book, but maybe it didn't catch on. You're right that fasting in the week after Pentecost is forbidden by the Typicon, but the same Typicon says we must fast before the feast of the Holy Apostles. Solution? Return to the traditional calendar!

Well, that is probably the easiest way of doing things. But it's hard enough getting even Orthodox people to believe, let alone practice Orthodoxy, and if they're against yet another thing like a calendar reversion, then the ship sort of capsizes--you end up with more premarital cohabitation, apostasy, and people following modern Orthodgurus instead of reading and learning from the Holy Fathers (who are they again?).

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1887 on: March 02, 2012, 07:47:57 PM »

ES OUTRAGE, maybe the WCC can make a new calender for us Roll Eyes

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1888 on: March 02, 2012, 08:27:36 PM »

ES OUTRAGE, maybe the WCC can make a new calender for us Roll Eyes
Actually, the Church--or at least some bishops within the Church--DID provide us a calendar. It's called the Revised Julian Calendar. Grin
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #1889 on: March 10, 2012, 12:42:42 AM »

Does the old calendar have leap years?

I'm going to need this.
Tags: old calendar New Calendar calendar computus paschalion ecclesiastical moon nomikon faska cheval mort 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: