OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:00:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Angels do we know?  (Read 1670 times) Average Rating: 0
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« on: August 04, 2009, 08:37:33 PM »

which angels do we know specifically by Divine revelation.

St Michael, St, Gabriel, and St. Raphael the Holy Archangels, that I know.
What about St. Uriel? Is he a 'revealed angel' (so to speak)?
And I have heard of an angel in Ethiopian tradition named Raguel (maybe one of our EOTC brethren can comment).

Are there others?

Also, do we divide the angels into: angels, archangels, principalities, powers, virtues, dominions, thrones, cherubim and seraphim? where is this tradition from.

Thanks!

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:19:50 PM »

one time I made a nice little summary from dogmatics notes I took that would be a good summary for you.  hopefully it will be helpful to you. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:38:46 PM »

an interesting article. thank you.

Also, which individual angels do we know in Holy revelation?

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 12:38:06 AM »

an interesting article. thank you.

Also, which individual angels do we know in Holy revelation?

depends on your definition of "canon of scripture"...lol.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 02:31:13 AM »

lol i suppose so. The Orthodox canon of scripture. And as i said some EOTC brethren could comment on St. Raguel and others.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 02:56:43 AM »

We know the names of the seven archangels which were familiar to the old Irish Orthodox. 
This is an 8th century Irish prayer.

Michael
Raphael
Uriel
Sariel
Rumiel
Panchel
Gabriel

Of Michael on Monday I speak, my mind is set on him.
Not with anyone do I compare him, but with Jesus, Mary's Son.

May the Trinity protect me! May the Trinity defend me!
May the Trinity save me from every hurt, from every danger.

If it be Tuesday, Raphael I mention, until the end comes, for my help,
One of the seven whom I beseech, as long as I am on the field of the world.

May the Trinity protect me!  etc.

May Uriel be with me on Wednesdays, the abbot with high nobility,
Against wound and against danger, against the sea of rough wind.

Of Sariel I speak on Thursday, against the swift waves of the sea,
Against every evil that comes to us, against every disease that seizes us.

On the day of the second fast, Rumiel - a clear blessing - I have loved,
I say only the truth, good the friend I have taken.

May Panchel be with me on Saturdays, as long as
I am in this bright-coloured world.
May sweet Mary, with her friend, deliver me from strangers.

May Gabriel be with me on Sundays, and the power of the King of Heaven.
May Gabriel be with me always that evil may not come to me, nor injury.

May the Trinity protect me! May the Trinity defend me!
May the Trinity save me from every hurt, from every danger.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 03:38:32 AM »

^Thank you for sharing that Fr. Ambrose. I think I will add it to my homeschooling curriculum for the days of the week.
Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 05:06:50 PM »

I've not even heard of half of those.

wait...Irish Orthodox?

Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 05:46:50 PM »

I noticed in those notes it said the devil was a Power, but if I remember correctly, Lucifer was apart of the Seraphim (being the brightest, which would make sense due to the proximity that was mentioned). Though I've also heard from some (I honestly dont know where) that Lucifer isn't necessarily Satan.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 07:55:29 PM »

This is from Wikipedia, whether it is accurate, or not, I am not sure:

Eastern Orthodox Tradition mentions "thousands of archangels;[6] however, only seven archangels are venerated by name.[7] Uriel is included, and the other three are most often named Selaphiel, Jegudiel, and Barachiel (an eighth, Jeremiel, is sometimes included as archangel).[8] The Orthodox Church celebrates the Synaxis of the Archangel Michael and the Other Bodiless Powers on November 8 of Stencyl the Eastern Orthodox liturgical calendar (for those churches which follow the Julian Calendar, November 8 falls on November 21 of the modern Gregorian Calendar). Other feast days of the Archangels include the Synaxis of the Archangel Gabriel on March 26 (April 8), and the Miracle of the Archangel Michael at Colossae on September 6 (September 19). In addition, every Monday throughout the year is dedicated to the Angels, with special mention being made in the church hymns of Michael and Gabriel. In Orthodox iconography, each angel has a symbolic representation:[8]
Russian icon of the Archangel Jegudiel.

* Michael in the Hebrew language means "Who is like unto God?" or "Who is equal to God?" St. Michael has been depicted from earliest Christian times as a commander, who holds in his right hand a spear with which he attacks Lucifer, Satan, and in his left hand a green palm branch. At the top of the spear there is a linen ribbon with a red cross. The Archangel Michael is especially considered to be the Guardian of the Orthodox Faith and a fighter against heresies.
    * Gabriel means "Man of God" or "Might of God." He is the herald of the mysteries of God, especially the Incarnation of God and all other mysteries related to it. He is depicted as follows: In his right hand, he holds a lantern with a lighted taper inside, and in his left hand, a mirror of green jasper. The mirror signifies the wisdom of God as a hidden mystery.
    * Raphael means "God's healing" or "God the Healer" (Tobit 3:17, 12:15). Raphael is depicted leading Tobit (who is carrying a fish caught in the Tigris) with his right hand, and holding a physician's alabaster jar in his left hand.
    * Uriel means "Fire of God," or "Light of God" (III Esdras 3:1, 5:20). He is depicted holding a sword against the Persians in his right hand, and a fiery flame in his left.
    * Sealtiel means "Intercessor of God" (III Esdras 5:16). He is depicted with his face and eyes lowered, holding his hands on his bosom in prayer.
    * Jegudiel means "Glorifier of God." He is depicted bearing a golden wreath in his right hand and a triple-thonged whip in his left hand.
    * Barachiel means "Blessing of God." He is depicted holding a white rose in his hand against his breast.
    * (Jeremiel means "God's exaltation." He is venerated as an inspirer and awakener of exalted thoughts that raise a person toward God (III Ezra 4:36). As an eighth, he is sometimes included as archangel.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:55:57 PM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 10:26:31 PM »

I've not even heard of half of those.

wait...Irish Orthodox?

Of course until the schism the Irish were Orthodox too... So were the English, Welsh, French, Spanish, Germans, Icelanders, Dutch...
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 12:18:51 AM »

This is from Wikipedia, whether it is accurate, or not, I am not sure:

Eastern Orthodox Tradition mentions "thousands of archangels;[6] however, only seven archangels are venerated by name.[7] Uriel is included, and the other three are most often named Selaphiel, Jegudiel, and Barachiel (an eighth, Jeremiel, is sometimes included as archangel).[8] The Orthodox Church celebrates the Synaxis of the Archangel Michael and the Other Bodiless Powers on November 8 of Stencyl the Eastern Orthodox liturgical calendar (for those churches which follow the Julian Calendar, November 8 falls on November 21 of the modern Gregorian Calendar). Other feast days of the Archangels include the Synaxis of the Archangel Gabriel on March 26 (April Cool, and the Miracle of the Archangel Michael at Colossae on September 6 (September 19). In addition, every Monday throughout the year is dedicated to the Angels, with special mention being made in the church hymns of Michael and Gabriel. In Orthodox iconography, each angel has a symbolic representation:[8]
Russian icon of the Archangel Jegudiel.

* Michael in the Hebrew language means "Who is like unto God?" or "Who is equal to God?" St. Michael has been depicted from earliest Christian times as a commander, who holds in his right hand a spear with which he attacks Lucifer, Satan, and in his left hand a green palm branch. At the top of the spear there is a linen ribbon with a red cross. The Archangel Michael is especially considered to be the Guardian of the Orthodox Faith and a fighter against heresies.
    * Gabriel means "Man of God" or "Might of God." He is the herald of the mysteries of God, especially the Incarnation of God and all other mysteries related to it. He is depicted as follows: In his right hand, he holds a lantern with a lighted taper inside, and in his left hand, a mirror of green jasper. The mirror signifies the wisdom of God as a hidden mystery.
    * Raphael means "God's healing" or "God the Healer" (Tobit 3:17, 12:15). Raphael is depicted leading Tobit (who is carrying a fish caught in the Tigris) with his right hand, and holding a physician's alabaster jar in his left hand.
    * Uriel means "Fire of God," or "Light of God" (III Esdras 3:1, 5:20). He is depicted holding a sword against the Persians in his right hand, and a fiery flame in his left.
    * Sealtiel means "Intercessor of God" (III Esdras 5:16). He is depicted with his face and eyes lowered, holding his hands on his bosom in prayer.
    * Jegudiel means "Glorifier of God." He is depicted bearing a golden wreath in his right hand and a triple-thonged whip in his left hand.
    * Barachiel means "Blessing of God." He is depicted holding a white rose in his hand against his breast.
    * (Jeremiel means "God's exaltation." He is venerated as an inspirer and awakener of exalted thoughts that raise a person toward God (III Ezra 4:36). As an eighth, he is sometimes included as archangel.)

Can you give us a link to the Wikipedia page from which you copied this?  Thank you.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:09:19 AM »

I noticed in those notes it said the devil was a Power, but if I remember correctly, Lucifer was apart of the Seraphim (being the brightest, which would make sense due to the proximity that was mentioned). Though I've also heard from some (I honestly dont know where) that Lucifer isn't necessarily Satan.

A few things to add to this comment, b/c i've had to deal with it a few times before. 

I would say that firstly, the comment was made in the context of St. John of Damascus.  As much as St. John wrote a dogmatic text, which he strictly based off of what OTHER people wrote (not his own ideas), that doesn't make him infallible in terms of tradition and etc. (sorry Ialmisry).  He is still just 1 father, as wonderful and amazing as he is. 

The other though I have is that Satan being a power actually makes a lot of sense, because if you look at the dialogues about satan in scripture and etc. you see that one of the main problems satan had was God's relationship with us.  If Satan was a power, and the powers were in charge of being guardian angels, that would mean that satan was intricately involved with humanity.  Then he would see how we abuse our relationship with god, and that would lead to dialogues such as "why do you allow these weaklings to worship you o lord, we are perfect in our worship, etc." from satan to God, as part of his breakaway from the Lord's will.  This is a fairly strong assumption, based on some facts that I know of...but it made sense to me. 

In terms of names for Satan, there's a whole genre of literature for this. One very nice Serbian tradition I heard (from a professor of Church Ethics for 40 years...so I took it as fairly accurate) is that Satan was called "sataniol" (in serbian) before the fall and then "satan" (in serbian) after the fall.  That would also mean that all the other fallen angels changed their names. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 11:29:46 AM »

[. One very nice Serbian tradition I heard (from a professor of Church Ethics for 40 years...so I took it as fairly accurate) is that Satan was called "sataniol" (in serbian) before the fall and then "satan" (in serbian) after the fall. 

What an amazing memory you have!  Forty years!

Yes, Sataniel is used in Serbia for Satan as an alternative but its origin is Hebrew and Sataniel means "adversary of God",  "enemy of God."

Can't figure out why the Serbs would know this Hebrew word?   Hold on.... good old Google.com.   "Sataniel" occurs in the Slavonic Book of Enoch, 29:4 and  31:4.
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 11:39:02 AM »

Here is the Coptic Orthodox doxology of the heavenly in case it is of interest to anyone:

DOXOLOGY OF THE HEAVENLY

Seven archangels,
Always praising as they stand
Before the Pantocrator,
Serving the Hidden Mystery:

Michael is the first,
Gabriel is the second,
Raphael is the third—
A symbol of the Trinity—

Suriel, Sedakiel,
Sarathiel and Ananiel,
The luminous and holy,
Asking Him for the creation.

The Cherubim, the Seraphim;
The Thrones, Dominions and Powers;
And the Four Incorporeal Beasts,
Carrying the throne of God;

And the Twenty Four Priests,
In the Church of the firstborn,
Praise Him incessantly,
Proclaiming and saying,

“Holy, O God:
The sick, O Lord, heal them.
Holy, O Mighty:
Those who slept, repose them.

“Holy, O Immortal:
O Lord, bless Thine inheritance,
And may Thy mercy and Thy peace
Be a fortress unto Thy people.

“Holy, Holy,
Holy Lord of Hosts,
Heaven and earth are full
Of Thine honour and Thy glory.”

And when they say, “Alleluia,”
The Heavenly respond, saying,
“Holy.  Amen.  Alleluia.
Glory be to our God.”

Intercede on our behalf,
O angelic hosts,
And all the heavenly orders,
That He may forgive us our sins.

From the Anaphora of the Coptic Liturgy of St. Basil:

Before Whom stand the angels, the archangels, the principalities, the authorities, the thrones, the dominions and the
powers.

From the Anaphora of the Coptic Liturgy of St. Gregory:

Thou art He Whom the angels praise, and the archangels
worship.  Thou art He Whom the Principalities bless, and unto
Whom the Dominions cry.  Thou art He Whose glory the
Authorities declare.  Thou art He unto Whom the Thrones send
up the honour.

Thousands of thousands stand before Thee, and ten thousand
times ten thousands offer Thee service.  Thou art He Whom the
invisible bless, and the visible worship.  They all do [according to]
Thy word, O our Master.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:41:45 AM by Jonathan » Logged
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 01:13:27 PM »

[. One very nice Serbian tradition I heard (from a professor of Church Ethics for 40 years...so I took it as fairly accurate) is that Satan was called "sataniol" (in serbian) before the fall and then "satan" (in serbian) after the fall. 

What an amazing memory you have!  Forty years!

Yes, Sataniel is used in Serbia for Satan as an alternative but its origin is Hebrew and Sataniel means "adversary of God",  "enemy of God."

Can't figure out why the Serbs would know this Hebrew word?   Hold on.... good old Google.com.   "Sataniel" occurs in the Slavonic Book of Enoch, 29:4 and  31:4.

I hope you did not misunderstand me...I do not have 40 years of anything...lol.  My father has been a professor for 40 years, and he is the one who told me that little tid-bit. 

What "slavonic book of Enoch" are you referring to?  The Ochrid bible?  or another one?  Because I was pretty certain that Enoch didn't exist in the slavonic versions...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 01:38:07 PM »

Here is the Coptic Orthodox doxology of the heavenly in case it is of interest to anyone:

DOXOLOGY OF THE HEAVENLY

Seven archangels,
Always praising as they stand
Before the Pantocrator,
Serving the Hidden Mystery: ...

In EO Tradition there is said that there are more of them:

It is proper and right to sing to You, bless You, praise You, thank You and worship You in all places of Your dominion; for You are God ineffable, beyond comprehension, invisible, beyond understanding, existing forever and always the same; You and Your only begotten Son and Your Holy Spirit. You brought us into being out of nothing, and when we fell, You raised us up again. You did not cease doing everything until You led us to heaven and granted us Your kingdom to come. For all these things we thank You and Your only begotten Son and Your Holy Spirit; for all things that we know and do not know, for blessings seen and unseen that have been bestowed upon us. We also thank You for this liturgy which You are pleased to accept from our hands, even though You are surrounded by thousands of Archangels and tens of thousands of Angels, by the Cherubim and Seraphim, six-winged, many-eyed, soaring with their wings,

source
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:38:56 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 04:34:33 PM »

Also, do we divide the angels into: angels, archangels, principalities, powers, virtues, dominions, thrones, cherubim and seraphim? where is this tradition from.

Thanks!

In the Prologue, St. Nickolai writes that the seven Archangels are seraphim. They are the ones who are closest to God.

March 26
Gabriel is the announcer of the Incarnation of the Son of God. He is one of the seven archangels who stand before the Throne of God. He appeared to Zacharias about the birth of the Forerunner. Gabriel said of himself, "I am Gabriel, who stand before God" (St. Luke 1:19). His name Gabriel means "Man - God." The Holy Fathers, in speaking about the Annunciation, interpret that an archangel with such a name was sent to signify who and what He would be like, who must be born of the All-Pure One. Therefore, He will be Man-God, mighty and powerful God. Some of the Fathers understood that this same Gabriel appeared to Joachim and Anna concerning the birth of the Virgin Mary and that Gabriel instructed Moses in the wilderness to write the Book of Genesis. The Holy Fathers think that Gabriel has pre-eminence in the first and greatest order of heavenly powers, that is, the Seraphic Order, since the Seraphims stand closest to God. He is, therefore, one of the seven Seraphims, closest to God. The names of the seven are MICHAEL, GABRIEL, RAPHAEL, URIEL, SALATHIEL, JEGUDIEL, BARACHIEL. To this number some even add JEREMIEL. Each one has their own particular service and all are equal in honor. Why did God not send Michael? Because Michael's service is to suppress the enemies of the Faith of God while Gabriel's is the mission of announcing the salvation of mankind.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 06:29:18 PM »

What "slavonic book of Enoch" are you referring to?  The Ochrid bible?  or another one?  Because I was pretty certain that Enoch didn't exist in the slavonic versions...

It is  pseudepigraphical.  2 Enoch is known as the Slavonic Book of Enoch because the only extant version is in Slavonic.

http://www.marquette.edu/maqom/2enoch.html

Anybody know where to find a web text?
Tags: angels archangels 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: