OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 04:46:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you be interested in having a monthly roundtable discussion on the site: things you enjoy, things you hate, things that can be improved and anything else?
Yes - 20 (80%)
No - 5 (20%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fast Food  (Read 2255 times) Average Rating: 0
Karamazov
Elder

« on: November 18, 2003, 02:30:27 PM »

Here's your chance to respond honestly and with anonymity.  Just trying to see where we're all at. Cheesy
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 03:17:05 PM »

Hey - it will only allow one thing to be marked - so How do I say that I rule out meat eggs dairy etc etc ?

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 03:26:05 PM »

Any fasting that is not vegan is anathema!

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
javamama

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 04:02:29 PM »

Lips Sealed

I thought we weren't supposed to talk about fasting!!
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 07:37:53 PM »

When I read this thread, I thought you were talking about McDonalds...

Shows where my mind is on fasting Smiley

Bobby
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 08:49:13 PM »

I'm not sure of the the dogmatic rules of frog eating. But biologically speaking frogs are amphibians not fish so if I had to take a guess I would say no. But of course that is only a guess.  Grin

WHICH fast, please, and WHICH denomination's rules? and if THIS fast, WHICH part of it? (ya gotta be clear?) And someone please tell me if frogs are acceptable to be eaten on days when fish are allowed during fasts....
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 09:55:14 PM »

Well, just checked the poll results, and it appears that during fasting periods people are only quitting meat!  HAR HAR! Shocked

Truthfully, though, DO I FEEL LIKE A DOLT! Tongue I need to learn how to properly use the polling feature before I try it out again!

Totalling undeserving of any moniker other than "newbie,"  

the disoriented Karamazov

PS.  Admin-types, feel justified in removing this extremely lame thread!  :cwm28:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 09:58:04 PM by a Karamazov... » Logged
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 09:08:24 AM »

I'm not sure of the the dogmatic rules of frog eating. But biologically speaking frogs are amphibians not fish so if I had to take a guess I would say no. But of course that is only a guess.  Grin

WHICH fast, please, and WHICH denomination's rules? and if THIS fast, WHICH part of it? (ya gotta be clear?) And someone please tell me if frogs are acceptable to be eaten on days when fish are allowed during fasts....

Hmmmm.  Since frogs are amphibians and are cold blooded and spend more time in the water than on land, I would consider them to be more like fish, but the safer thing would be not to eat them.  

Vicki, Interesting question, planning a trip to Africa?  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 09:08:47 AM by Justinianus » Logged

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 09:26:50 PM »

I can't vote truthfully (and therefore  anonymously) 'cause I would have to say "all of the above" - which some hedging on the sixth item and I NEVER partake 'soy'-anything, knowingly, especially tofu (yuck.)

Demetri :-";"xx

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 09:33:15 PM »

- which some hedging on the sixth item and I NEVER partake 'soy'-anything, knowingly, especially tofu (yuck.)

The problem is most westerners haven't the first clue how to cook tofu.  I used to be of the same opinion before I married an Asian vegetarian.  She's showed me the joys of tofu done in the Thai style.  Also, many Japanese and Chinese restaurants prepare it nicely as well.  There's one Thai restaurant in town here that prepares tofu so well, that I rarely get meat there anymore!
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 09:57:47 PM »

I agree to that last...I LIKE tofu...just not tofu pretending to be other things. Tongue
 Now that, I whole-heartedly agree with.  It has been ruined for most people because it has been dressed up as a pretender!  Just call it tofu.   Wink
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 09:59:04 PM »

Nope...Just the local French restaurant  Cheesy

AAAHHHH...swoon...ESCARGOT!!!! Yes! (VAT! NO garlic BUTTER?!!!)

Pardon the intrusion; gotta' go raid the fridge now.

Demetri Roll Eyes

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 09:06:22 PM »

But isn't the purpose of the fast to try to abstain from everything you're supposed to abstain from, knowing you may fall short of your goals?  Heck, that's Eastern Orthodoxy -- set goals way above your head and shoot for them, understanding you are not perfect!

For the other males out there, soy has phytoestrogens -- so if you use soy as a substitute for milk, etc, understand you're consuming estrogen!  (Soy is actually a known treatment of post-menopausal hot flashes, since it's an estrogen supplement)

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Tags: fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: