OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 04:39:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nativity Fast  (Read 2893 times) Average Rating: 0
Justinianus
Elder

« on: November 18, 2003, 09:16:54 AM »

This will be my first Nativity fast as an Orthodox Christian.  With Thanksgiving coming up and all the seasonal candy, sweet treats, and holiday parties available for the Christmas season, it is going to be a tough struggle.  

For me it seems a little more difficult of a fast than the Paschal one.  Of course I will pray for strength, but am curious to know how do some of you handle this time of year with the fast?

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 01:54:26 PM »

I think it's more difficult for all of us in that sense (that we have to break it so often because of secular America).  IMO, I think the American Bishops should announce a special dispensation for Thanksgiving, but otherwise encourage the faithful to follow the fast as much as possible.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 02:28:31 PM »

IMO, I think the American Bishops should announce a special dispensation for Thanksgiving, but otherwise encourage the faithful to follow the fast as much as possible.

You guys should just become Indian Orthodox.  Even though Advent starts for us two weeks before your Nativity Fast begins, we only have to fast from 1 December on.  Smiley

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 08:03:50 PM »

I think it's more difficult for all of us in that sense (that we have to break it so often because of secular America).  IMO, I think the American Bishops should announce a special dispensation for Thanksgiving, but otherwise encourage the faithful to follow the fast as much as possible.

If most American churches were on the Old Calendar, Thanksgiving wouldn't be an issue, that'd be the easiest way to fix the problem.
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 08:15:53 PM »

For me it seems a little more difficult of a fast than the Paschal one.  Of course I will pray for strength, but am curious to know how do some of you handle this time of year with the fast?  

In a lot of ways it is, in that 1) Thanksgiving falls during the fast and 2) there is a superabundance of holiday parties at work, school, etc.  I'm fortunate that my family understands this and doesn't resent my conversion.  We still come over for Thanksgiving dinner, but a totally vegan one for me & my family.  Work is another story, they think it is kind of silly, but they don't wave it in my face or anything.  I always think of it this way, for the churches that don't fast, Christmas is one day, for us, it is a period of preparation followed by the joy of Nativity itself, which is then followed by weeks of celebration.  Despite the feeling "left out" sometimes during the Nativity fast, I've found once it arrives, I actually have a much fuller joy during Nativity than I ever did before I became Orthodox.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 09:33:23 PM »

If most American churches were on the Old Calendar, Thanksgiving wouldn't be an issue, that'd be the easiest way to fix the problem.

How true. My wife was ELATED to find our Nativity Fast starting on Nov 28. Now I've got to help cook a bunch of stuff I'm going to give away the next day. Kinda' the point, though, isn't it?

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 08:49:15 PM »

Fasting is supposed to help free us from worldly cares, isn't it, to help us to live IN this world but to not be OF this world.  If we're complaining about it, doesn't that defeat its purpose?  

As for Thanksgiving, I think it should be on a personal level -- I hope our bishops don't issue a "special dispensation" for Thanksgiving.  I grew up Greek Orthodox, and as you know, Greeks don't always take fasting too seriously.  Now that I'm older and I know the importance of taking it seriously, I think a "vegan" Thanksgiving is entirely feasible -- It's important to give Thanks, but why do we have to do it with Turkey and gravy?

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 08:46:47 AM »

BTW - I saw my Priest (GOA) during choir practice and asked if we have a dispensation from the Nativity Fast for Thanksgiving. And he said "What? No. You aren't supposed to be fasting yet. We don't do the whole 40 day Nativity fast, only the monks do. Well, the Russians do also, but we only fast the last 12 days before Christmas"

(this coincides with the period when weddings are not performed)."

So, I'm off the hook.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 08:51:00 AM by TomS » Logged
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2003, 09:17:52 AM »

Here's the solution to the Thanksgiving thing.  Why don't y'all become Canucks and celebrate Thanksgiving in October, when it SHOULD be celebrated? Grin
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 09:18:16 AM by Karamazov » Logged
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2003, 09:20:10 AM »

Here's the solution to the Thanksgiving thing.  Why don't y'all become Canucks and celebrate Thanksgiving in October, when it SHOULD be celebrated? Grin

Well, we will straighten out that Canadian heresy when we invade!  Grin
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 09:20:25 AM by TomS » Logged
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2003, 09:23:40 AM »

Well, we will straighten out that Canadian heresy when we invade!  Grin

Oh yeah?  You and what army?!?!  (oops, did I say that?)

As an October Thanksgiving celebrant, does that make me a schismatic?

BTW, though this would be a great forum for sharing fasting tips & tricks & recipes.  what think?
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2003, 09:27:41 AM »

Oh yeah?  You and what army?!?!  (oops, did I say that?)

Our Army as soon as it gets back from Iraq and Afghanistan and South Korea and Germany and Japan and ....... ummmmm..... on second thought, never mind.
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2003, 09:33:10 AM »

LOL, Tom. Grin You had me worried there for a moment.  Though we did take you guys in the War of 1812.... Wink
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 09:33:40 AM by Karamazov » Logged
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2003, 11:14:55 AM »

I don't want to get jurisdictional here, but could you explain to me why the Greek church only fasts the last 12 days?  Why call it a 40-day fasting period if you're only going to do it for less than half of it?  I have to admit that I wouldn't mind it.  I have a really hard time making it through 40 days.  As far as Thanksgiving, that is definitely an "ask your priest" question.  My first priest didn't have any problem with you breaking the fast for Thanksgiving.  He said just to get a small turkey so that you wouldn't have leftovers and to not eat until you are stuffed!  My current priest doesn't think you should break the fast for Thanksgiving, unless you are going to a non-Orthodox home for dinner.  If you are, then, of course, you eat what is served.
Dismas

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2003, 11:49:26 AM »

Grin

Peace,
Dismas
input--->process--->output
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2003, 12:56:52 PM »

GOA DOES FAST 40 DAYS....STUPID PRIESTS WHO WANT TO BE POPULAR SAY WE DON'T

It is probably just a rather liberal priest.  I agree - lame.
Tags: fasting nativity Advent 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: