OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 08:42:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the Orthodox Church still have apostolic succession?  (Read 4910 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2009, 09:50:54 PM »

Though the apostolic laying on of hands (ordination) and the preservation of the apostolic preaching (correct teaching).

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Apostolic_succession

Is the Church ultimately established by Apostolic Succession or is it found ultimately within the 'Holy Spirit' which dwells upon and within the 'Body of Believers'? Is Orthodoxy ultimately "Top-Down" or "Bottom-Up"?

That is like asking if Christ is divine or human.

If there isn't an Ordained Priest among the people to preform the Mysteries can the people ordain from amongst their own or must the Mystery of Ordination come from Apostolic Succession?
The mystery of Ordination comes from the Church, which is not complete without the bishop.  As such, it is only through the bishop that the Church can ordain a man to the priesthood.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2009, 09:55:35 PM »

My priest said, and I hope I'm not misquoting him, that Apostolic Succession lies within the Church and not the man.
That understanding of Apostolic Succession is consistent with the teaching Met. John (Zizioulas) expounded upon in his book Being as Communion, so you're probably not misquoting your priest.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2009, 10:40:15 PM »

Though the apostolic laying on of hands (ordination) and the preservation of the apostolic preaching (correct teaching).

Is the Church ultimately established by Apostolic Succession or is it found ultimately within the 'Holy Spirit' which dwells upon and within the 'Body of Believers'? Is Orthodoxy ultimately "Top-Down" or "Bottom-Up"?

If there isn't an Ordained Priest among the people to preform the Mysteries can the people ordain from amongst their own or must the Mystery of Ordination come from Apostolic Succession?
The mystery of Ordination comes from the Church, which is not complete without the bishop.  As such, it is only through the bishop that the Church can ordain a man to the priesthood.

So the Church is complete in the Bishop Himself? This seems to be a hierarchical institution but we know that the Church is not simply the Hierarchy is it?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2009, 10:50:08 PM »

So the Church is complete in the Bishop Himself?
No.  Without the Church, the Bishop has no ministry and no office.  The Bishop derives all his authority from the Church, and his office has meaning only within the Church.  Apart from the Church there is no Bishop, just as apart from the Bishop there is no Church.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2009, 11:19:29 PM »

No.  Without the Church, the Bishop has no ministry and no office.  The Bishop derives all his authority from the Church, and his office has meaning only within the Church.  Apart from the Church there is no Bishop, just as apart from the Bishop there is no Church.

You are still pointing to the fact that the very life of the Church (i.e. the Mysteries) are the possession of the Ordained Clergy. That seems to clash with the idea that the Church is the Body of the Faithful (i.e. People of God).

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2009, 11:30:09 PM »

You are still pointing to the fact that the very life of the Church (i.e. the Mysteries) are the possession of the Ordained Clergy.
I never said that.  ISTM that this is something you're reading into my posts.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2009, 11:53:10 PM »

You are still pointing to the fact that the very life of the Church (i.e. the Mysteries) are the possession of the Ordained Clergy.

That is possible, I guess. How does the People of God thrive outside of an Ordained Clergy? Old Believers come to mind.

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2009, 01:01:18 AM »

Yes, he was.

Then why is he not listed in the apostolic lineage in the above post?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2009, 01:37:22 AM »

How does the People of God thrive outside of an Ordained Clergy? Old Believers come to mind.
Some Old Believer sects do have ordained clergy, but I see your point. Wink
Dan-Romania
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2009, 04:13:40 AM »

The Apostolic line is kept trough the bishops , by the laying of hands of the bishops . Priesthood is ordained by the laying of hands of an bishop, trough cheirotonia . The Bishops gives the candidate to priesthood the grace needed to perform the mysteries , and gives from the grace he received by laying of hands also , the power of invoking the Holy Spirit during Sacraments.As the Apostles received power from Jesus , and so does the Church with the apostolic succession has the power from the Apostles , and all from Jesus , in the same Spirit , the power of invoking the Holy Spirit, the power to heal , exorcise , bond and louse , etc.It says somewere that the bishop is the steward of Christ.You see this is why the Apostolic Succession is "kind of" important.

This user no longer posts here.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2009, 09:15:55 AM »

That is possible, I guess. How does the People of God thrive outside of an Ordained Clergy? Old Believers come to mind.

Going from schism to outright heresy (which is what most Old Believers did) is not thriving.

An example of thriving would be Alaska, where after the translation of the See of Sitka to San Francisco, the Faithful rarely saw a bishop (St. Tikhon made a point of coming up, and appointing a bishop of their own) and most parishes only had readers.  And yet it became the largest Church in Alaska, and actually grew and converted more tribes AFTER the Russians left, despite (or maybe because of) the Protestant missionaries.

You are still pointing to the fact that the very life of the Church (i.e. the Mysteries) are the possession of the Ordained Clergy. That seems to clash with the idea that the Church is the Body of the Faithful (i.e. People of God).

No, it doesn't.  The bishop does not have the episcopate as a personal possession, so he doesn't get to take it with him into schism.  The priest doesn't have the priesthood as his personal possession, so he (and for that matter, the bishop) doesn't get to celebrate DL without a congregation, and the bishop can't be a bishop without a diocese of Faithful.  Saying a body must have a brain, a backbone, and DNA and the equipment for reproduction doesn't mean that the other members of the body are superfluous.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:28:49 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Apostolic succession 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: